Ocon targeting Formula 1 graduation in 2017

By on Thursday, July 14, 2016
Mercedes AMG Petronas

Mercedes AMG Petronas

Esteban Ocon says he is targeting a full-time Formula 1 seat in 2017, having completed running for Mercedes during in-season testing at Silverstone.

Ocon, 18, secured the GP3 Series crown last year and earned the backing of Mercedes, which loaned him out to Renault as its test driver.

Ocon has competed in two practice sessions and a test day with Renault, with more planned, alongside his duties for Mercedes, for whom he races in DTM.

Having originally been pencilled in to test for Mercedes in Spain, before Pascal Wehrlein was drafted in to sample new parts, Ocon made his debut for the manufacturer at the second in-season test this week.

"The boss will decide what they want there in Renault," Ocon said after completing five race distances in the Mercedes W07 Hybrid during testing at Silverstone.

"My target is to be in Formula 1 next year, so I'm working as much as I can and getting ready.

"At the moment, it's still too early to speak about that. I still have outings in FP1 that I will have to do. We will have to keep working on that and focus there.

"The team was happy. I've been there for a long time around the Formula 1 paddock, so I'm ready to race whenever there is an opportunity."


If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.