'No plans' to leave Monaco for F1 job - Berger

By on Wednesday, May 25, 2011

May 25 (GMM) Gerhard Berger on Wednesday dismissed rumours he is set to return to formula one as a boss.

The great Austrian, who after retiring from formula one spent time as BMW's joint motor sport director before co-owning the Toro Rosso team, has been linked with Ferrari as well as his friend Dietrich Mateschitz's Red Bull outfit.

"I have no plans to move back to Austria -- on the contrary," he told the
Austrian newsmagazine NEWS, addressing the Red Bull rumours.

"I love Monaco, where I have my office," he added.

It is believed the rumours were triggered by his separation with his long-term wife Ana.

"The truth is I have lived away from my wife for one and a half years," he insisted.

He told the Kurier newspaper earlier this month that he does not particularly miss formula one, and - despite visiting the Barcelona paddock last weekend - he intended to leave town to avoid the chaos in Monaco.

"Although I have many friends who call me and we talk about formula one, I've not hungry any more," he said.

"There are days I want to be back in the middle of it, and others where I just want to sit on a motorcycle or a kart and have fun."


If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.