Marussia retains Chilton for 2014 season

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014
Chilton announcement

Autosport International

Marussia has confirmed that Max Chilton will continue to race for the team in 2014.

Chilton made his Formula 1 debut for Marussia in 2013, and finished all 19 races with a best result of 14th place in Monaco.

Chilton will continue to race alongside Jules Bianchi, who also made his Formula 1 debut for Marussia in 2013.

"I am really happy to be continuing with the Marussia into a second season," 22-year-old Chilton said after the announcement was made at Autosport International in Birmingham.

"Continuity is important for the team but also for me as a driver. You learn such a lot in your debut season, but the second year is when you can really pull all of those new experiences together and show your true potential."

"That has always been the case for me in the junior categories and I'll be aiming for a similar step in my second year of F1 competition."

"I would like to thank the Marussia F1 Team for their continued faith and support. They are a great bunch of people who are extremely hard-working and ambitious and I can't wait to embark on our 2014 season challenge together."

Team principal John Booth added that continuity was key for the team as they head into 2014.

"We are pleased to confirm that Max will continue with the Team into the 2014 season," said Booth.

"In view of next year's regulation changes, continuity is key, so it is highly beneficial to our technical team that we retain the same driver line-up moving forward."

"Max had an impressive debut season last year and, of course, achieved a new rookie record for finishing all 19 races. He can be justifiably proud of the progress he made through the course of 2013. With our race driver line-up complete we can now focus all of our attentions on our 2014 car and moving the Marussia F1 Team to the next level. After our success in achieving 10th place in the Constructors' Championship, we have set our sights on a bigger and better 2014 campaign."

Marussia has yet to confirm when its 2014 car will be launched, with sporting director Graeme Lowdon revealing that the team intends to attend the first test of the year at Jerez which commences on January 28th.

The team will use Ferrari power units this season after former suppliers Cosworth opted not to continue into Formula 1's v6 era this year.

Chilton's confirmation at Marussia means that only two seats remain vacant on the Formula 1 grid, with Caterham yet to announce their driver line-up for the coming season.


If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.

On this day
  • Mika Häkkinen won the 1999 Japanese Grand Prix.