Mallya: Force India expected more from opening races

By on Monday, April 25, 2016
Sahara Force India

Sahara Force India

Force India team boss Vijay Mallya says the outfit expected to have racked up more points across the opening three rounds of the season.

Nico Hulkenberg collected seventh at the Australian Grand Prix but Force India failed to secure a top 10 finish in either Bahrain or China.

Both Hulkenberg and team-mate Sergio Perez were involved in collisions early on in Bahrain, while Perez could manage only 11th at Shanghai in the lead VJM09.

Force India thus occupies seventh in the championship, behind rivals Haas and Force India.

"In all honesty we expected more from the start of the season, but for various reasons the cards have not fallen for us," he said.

"It’s worth making a comparison with 2015 because after three races last year we were in a similar position with seven points - one point more than we have this year - and that turned out to be our most successful season ever.

"With 18 races to go there is a long season ahead and we have plenty of opportunities to turn around our fortunes."

Mallya is confident that Force India has the pace to score substantial points as it heads to Russia, where Perez finished on the podium in 2015.

"There is no doubt that we have an inherently quick car," he said.

"We’ve always qualified inside the top 10 and Checo lined up seventh on the grid in China. In the race we fell a bit short, so that is one area where we can improve.

"We are also working hard to bring an upgrade package to Barcelona: it’s an aero step and further suspension evolutions, which will bring some performance gains."


If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.