Magnussen confident of Renault stay in 2017

By on Thursday, July 21, 2016
Renault Sport

Renault Sport

Kevin Magnussen says he is confident that he will remain part of the Renault set up into 2017, though concedes nothing has yet been signed.

Magnussen joined Renault in February after a lengthy stint at McLaren, having raced for the team in 2014.

Magnussen has scored Renault's only points of the campaign courtesy of a seventh place finish in Russia, amid struggles for the returning manufacturer.

The Dane says Renault is building for the future and is sure that he will be part of its plans.

"I’ve clearly made it obvious that I want to stay and I consider myself part of the team and part of the future," he explained ahead of the Hungarian Grand Prix.

"I haven’t seen any signs that I’m not [part of the future] the time will tell but I feel happy and confident so we’ll see what happens."

Magnussen also backed Renault's decision to switch focus to 2017.

"Even if you put full focus on this car, I think we’re so far behind it’s not going to change a lot fully," he said.

"So you would improve but we’re not going to start winning or be podium fighters, it would just make things a little bit better and we would catch up a little bit.

"For my own situation it doesn’t make any of a difference really, I assume that I’m going to be for the future so I want the team to focus on the future."

If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.