Lotterer not aiming for Caterham return

By on Saturday, November 15, 2014

Andre-LottererAndre Lotterer says he hasn't been offered a chance to drive for Caterham for the final round of the Formula 1 season in Abu Dhabi - and would reject a seat if he was asked.

Three-time Le Mans winner made his Formula 1 debut earlier this season when he replaced Kamui Kobayashi for the Belgian Grand Prix.

With Marcus Ericsson having departed the team few days ago, it is still not known who will drive for Caterham at the Yas Marina Circuit next weekend, with the drives set to go to the highest bidder.

"They didn’t ask anything, they didn’t contact me," he told F1Zone.net as he prepares to compete in Bahrain's round of the World Endurance Championship.

"I still have my super license but I don’t think I would go. I did my race in Spa and it was a great experience. They asked me to do Monza but I decided not to. It was nice to do Formula 1 but I want to do it in better conditions, in terms of track position."

Lotterer added that while the crowd-funding project is 'crazy', he understands why the squad has taken such action.

"It’s a nice team with competent people," he said. "They’ve been having a difficult season in terms of performance but that’s related to many things. I had experienced working with them so I wish that the whole crew can be back on the grid somehow.

"The crowd-funding thing - it’s a crazy thing to do but also a brave thing to try. They are motivated. I don’t know who is in charge now, I don’t know if they have any bosses or not, so I guess the team is just trying to get back on the grid and I respect that."


If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.