Keke Rosberg: Mercedes late launch risky

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Nico Rosberg at Jerez © Mercedes GP

Nico Rosberg's father, Keke Rosberg has questioned the decision by Mercedes to delay the launch of its 2012 car.

Nico Rosberg, the German-born son of 1982 world champion Keke, has publicly backed his team's approach in not running their 2012 challenger, the W03 in anger at Jerez, a full test session after main rivals Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari got their new cars up and going.

"There is definitely some risk," said former McLaren and Williams driver Keke Rosberg, 63.

"It's Barcelona and so there could be some snow and the test could even be cancelled.

"Or if it happens to you what happened to Ferrari in Jerez, then you have even a shorter amount of time to fix everything.

"The tests are separated only by days and then there is the last one, and again it could be snowing or raining," added Rosberg. "It's not Andalucia, remember, but the Costa Brava."

Rosberg said the issue for Mercedes and also Ferrari is the risks they are needing to take in order to catch up with last year's pacesetters, Red Bull and McLaren.

"How could Ferrari be having such problems, when without the exhaust gases last year they won at Silverstone?

"Maybe it's because they had to take such a leap, but when you do that there's the risk it will go wrong.

"It's the same for Mercedes, because last year they were in calm waters with a big gap to the top and the middle groups."

If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.