Italian GP future still uncertain - Ecclestone

By on Friday, February 12, 2016
Mercedes AMG Petronas

Mercedes AMG Petronas

Formula 1 chief Bernie Ecclestone says the future of the Italian Grand Prix at Monza remains uncertain, despite lengthy negotiations to secure its place on the calendar beyond the end of 2016.

Monza has held a Grand Prix on the Formula 1 calendar every year bar 1980 but its position is under threat, with the 2016 event the last set to take place under the current contract.

Italy's government tweaked legislation last year to allow greater funding for the venue and the President of the Automobile Club of Italy indicated that a deal was close to being concluded, but an agreement has yet to be reached with the sport.

"It's Italian," he told Reuters. "A lot of conversations at the moment and not much action.

"They said to me a few months ago 'everything is sorted out, we know exactly where we are and it's all agreed and no dramas'.

"And now I heard yesterday it's become very political...they'll get on with it. Or not. Nothing we can do about it.

"I don't know what's going to happen. It's a little bit Italian at the moment. The only people that can sort this out are the people that are currently involved in Italy.

"There's no deadline. They can take as long as they like, provided it's by the end of this month."

If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.