Interlagos moves to secure F1 future through 2020

By on Thursday, July 11, 2013

Interlagos has moved a step closer to securing its future on the F1 calendar.

Earlier this year, the future of the Brazilian grand prix came into doubt when F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone said the venue in Sao Paulo must be upgraded.

But those fears eased when Ecclestone confirmed city mayor Fernando Haddad had written him a letter "and he's guaranteed to revamp the whole facilities there".

It was said a new contract through 2020 would then be signed.

Now, O Estado de S.Paulo newspaper is reporting that the city has indeed opened up bids for the construction of an all-new three-storey pit and paddock complex and revisions to the layout, to be ready for 2015.

The report said Sao Paulo is paying for the project through an agreement with the tourism ministry, aimed at "maintaining F1 in Brazil and in the city of Sao Paulo", according to spokesman Nunzio Briguglio.


If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.

On this day
  • Giancarlo Baghetti won the 1961 French Grand Prix.
  • Juan Manuel Fangio won the 1950 French Grand Prix.
  • Jackie Stewart won the 1972 French Grand Prix.
  • David Coulthard won the 2000 French Grand Prix.
  • Mario Andretti won the 1978 French Grand Prix.
  • Michael Schumacher won the 1995 French Grand Prix.
  • Jack Brabham won the 1967 French Grand Prix.
  • Michael Schumacher won the 2006 United States Grand Prix.