Hulkenberg departure took Force India by surprise

By on Saturday, February 2, 2013

Force India deputy team principal Bob Fernley has said that the departure of Nico Hulkenberg took the team by surprise.

Hulkenberg left Force India to drive for Sauber from the start of this season.

"The idea of the Nico/Paul partnership not continuing into 2013 wasn't our plan," Fernley told Autosport.

"Obviously it slightly de-railed our programme."

Force India has yet to announce a second driver to partner Paul di Resta, with Fernley admitting that the plan had been to keep Jules Bianchi as reserve driver for two years.

"If we'd had an ideal world we'd have liked to run Jules for two years as a third driver."

"Is Jules ready to go into a primary seat? Yes, he is. Absolutely. But we've just got to make sure we tick all the boxes now."


If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.

On this day
  • René Arnoux won the 1982 French Grand Prix.
  • Michael Schumacher won the 2004 German Grand Prix.
  • Eddie Irvine won the 1999 Austrian Grand Prix.
  • Alain Prost won the 1993 German Grand Prix.
  • Fernando Alonso won the 2010 German Grand Prix.