Fire destroys Lotus hospitality suite at Sepang

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Photo credit: @AdamHayNicholls

The drama at Sepang continued even through the night, as the hospitality building occupied by the Lotus team burned down.

No one was injured in the blaze, which was caused by a faulty fridge fuse. The fire occured around 3.30am local time in Malaysia.

Lotus head of team marketing and communications, Stephane Samson told Press Association Sport: "There was a fire in the hospitality unit due to the failure of a fridge fuse, with the whole hospitality and kitchen destroyed. Thankfully a security guard was able to save the drivers' race suits which are currently being dry cleaned as they were affected by smoke. They were a bit smelly. Everything else has been lost - a couple of laptops, along with everything required to carry out our marketing and PR this weekend. The comms team are maybe going to try to work in the media centre, certainly for this morning at least."

Lotus has now been forced to relocate their hospitality suite to the bottom end of the paddock, next to Marussia.

The team has issued a statement saying: "The team asks for forgiveness for certain personnel who have entered the fire-damaged facility as they will be rather smoke-fragranced today. Many team members may also look rather hungry for a short time."

Mercedes' and Ferrari's hospitality units nearby have been affected by the smoke, although no further damage was caused. "The firemen arrived soon and put everything under control. Our hospitality was only invaded by smoke," Ferrari revealed on Twitter.


If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.