Ecclestone: 2012 Bahrain return safe for now

By on Friday, November 25, 2011

Eccelstone claims that the 2012 Bahrain GP is still safe following the publication of an independent report

A damning report into the unrest in Bahrain earlier this year does not endanger the Kingdom's return to formula one in 2012.

That is the claim of F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone, as further turmoil kicked off in Bahrain surrounding the release of the report confirming the government was heavy-handed with its citizens this year.

The 2011 unrest caused the cancellation of the 2011 season opener but Bahrain is scheduled to return to the calendar next April.

That race will go ahead "unless something terrible happens to stop us," Ecclestone told reporters at Interlagos.

Another race in doubt for 2012 is the one in South Korea, with the country's first two races poorly attended and organisers now dithering over the cost of the event.

"We're having a look at that with the promoter," said Ecclestone, "because it isn't working for them. We'll try and find the reason it isn't and try to help them."


If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.