Dennis: McLaren will help outgoing Magnussen

By on Friday, October 16, 2015
McLaren Honda

McLaren Honda

McLaren CEO Ron Dennis says the squad will assist outgoing reserve driver Kevin Magnussen in enjoying a Formula 1 career after confirming that the Dane will not be part of the team's plans into 2016.

Magnussen was demoted to a reserve role with McLaren for 2015, having raced for them last year, and the outfit recently confirmed that Jenson Button will remain alongside Fernando Alonso into 2016.

Magnussen has repeatedly expressed his desire to return to a race seat for 2016 and Dennis says that McLaren did not want to stand in his way, following a year on the side lines.

"In 2014 he raced very well alongside Jenson, who is a hugely experienced and very quick World Champion," said Dennis.

"Kevin's Grand Prix debut in Melbourne last year was rewarded with a podium that day that he, and we, can be justifiably proud of.

"Kevin has continued to work hard for us in 2015, supporting Fernando and Jenson, although he was understandably frustrated not to be racing.

"He is extremely keen to return to racing next year, and, in keeping with our tradition with our young drivers, we will not stand in the way of his ability to fulfil his ambition and potential.

"He is a very talented racing driver, and he deserves to have a Formula 1 career, as Jenson has publicly said.

"Evidently, we have no space for him at McLaren-Honda as a race driver next year, but there is no shame in being edged out by two World Champions, Fernando and Jenson. We wish Kevin well, and will do all we can to help him successfully embark on the next chapter of his racing career."


If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.