Barrichello to test Indycar next week

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Rubens Barrichello © Williams

America's premier open wheeler Indycar series has emerged as a possible option for Rubens Barrichello in 2012.

After 19 consecutive seasons in Formula 1, the 39-year-old veteran has been left without a race seat after Williams signed his Brazilian countryman Bruno Senna.

Former Ferrari driver Barrichello, a winner of 11 grands prix, has previously said he will not look to Indycar racing once his F1 career ends.

"I think at first I won't look for anything. Perhaps I'll just enjoy my family for a year.

"After that I believe my passion for speed will not allow me to stand still," he said recently as he waited for Williams' decision.

"For sure I will not race on the American ovals -- I have promised that to my wife," said Barrichello, whose close friend is Tony Kanaan, the Indycar driver, "and I will honour that."

But the Associated Press reports that an Indycar test has been lined up for Barrichello by KV Racing, the team fielding Kanaan and former F1 driver Takuma Sato.

Citing "a person familiar with the test", the American news agency said Barrichello will enjoy a two-day "exploratory" test at the Sebring road course in Florida early next week.

Germany's Auto Motor und Sport said Barrichello is currently holidaying with his family in Florida.


If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.