Bahrain not cancelling GP as 2011 deadline runs out

By on Sunday, May 1, 2011

May 1 (GMM) Organisers of the Bahrain grand prix are not ruling out hosting a rescheduled formula one race in 2011, despite the official FIA deadline now running out.

F1's governing body imposed the May 1 deadline for a 2011 race rescheduling and last week said it is still in place, while Bernie Ecclestone indicated the Kingdom might be given a few more weeks to iron out political problems.

The sport's chief executive is quoted in a notably vague statement issued by the Sakhir circuit: "While obviously the Kingdom has had to put its national affairs first I have never been in any doubts that restoring the Bahrain grand prix has been of paramount importance."

Circuit chairman Zayed Rashid Alzayani said Bahrain's situation is improving.

"The national situation has moved on in a positive manner, the situation is evolving all the time; our day-to-day life is gradually improving under the current State of National Safety," he said.

The FIA was not available to comment on the precise meaning of the Bahrain statement, such as the declaration that the race could be held "in the very near future".


If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.