McLaren driver Fernando Alonso has hit out at the uncertainty regarding the 2016 qualifying regulations, and has criticised the complexity of the sport.
The Strategy Group and F1 Commission approved plans last week to make qualifying a live knockout format, though Bernie Ecclestone later said the system would not be introduced until the Spanish Grand Prix.
Several alternative amended formats have been suggested this week, with a final decision set to be confirmed when the FIA's World Motor Sport Council meets on Friday.
Alonso says that the situation makes him 'sad' and further added that the complex rules is baffling for spectators.
"It’s sad. I’m sad," he said when asked for his opinion on the uncertainty regarding qualifying rules.
"I’m sad for the sport, because it doesn’t look right from the outside when in one week we change the qualifying format three times, or we pretend to change the format three times but no-one officialised anything.
"If I was from another sport I would look at Formula 1 a little bit surprised.
"So I don’t think that it’s right, the changes, too many changes, the complexity of the rules also for the spectator is high, all my friends in Spain, they want to switch on the television and watch battles, big cars, big tyres, big noise and enjoy the race like they do with other sports.
"But for us they only know about MGU-H, MGU-K, state of charge, Super Soft, used, mandatory, Medium, when you are fourth in the race three laps to the end [and] you need to put [on] another mandatory tyre, things like that; it is normal they switch off the television."