Alonso 'ready' for Formula 1 return

By on Tuesday, March 24, 2015
McLaren Honda

McLaren Honda

Fernando Alonso says he is ready to make his return to Formula 1 this weekend in Malaysia following his testing crash at Barcelona last month.

Alonso suffered a concussion in the crash and missed the Australian Grand Prix on advice from doctors, with Kevin Magnussen lining up alongside Jenson Button for the opening event of 2015.

Alonso has been provisionally cleared to race this weekend but needs to pass final FIA assessments on Thursday before he is given the green light.

"I watched the weekend in Australia very closely and I was in touch with the team from the moment they arrived," said Alonso. "It’s clear we have a lot of work ahead of us but Jenson’s result in Melbourne was encouraging from the point of view of reliability and data collection, which are extremely important.

"I’ve been working hard on my fitness and I feel good and ready to go this weekend. The heat in Malaysia is always very tough for the drivers but I’ve been focusing on this in my training and I’m definitely prepared for all of the weather conditions that we can face in Sepang."

Alonso is aware that the squad will face a challenging weekend in Malaysia but is nonetheless confident that progress can be made.

"The weekend will be tough, but I’m looking forward to getting into the MP4-30 for the first time in a Grand Prix and getting back to racing," he said.

"I’ve spent some time in the simulator back at the factory with the team, and my focus will be on continuing the development of our package with my engineers, and working on our balance and race set-up. There’s a lot of potential in the car and we will keep pushing every race until we see results."


If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.