Alonso not fussed by Monza retirement

By on Sunday, September 6, 2015
McLaren Honda

McLaren Honda

Fernando Alonso says McLaren made a 'wise decision' to retire him from the Italian Grand Prix after suffering from an electrical control board issue.

Alonso was catching up with McLaren team-mate Jenson Button during the closing stages of the race but the problem ultimately side lined him, albeit with the pair scrapping over a lowly 14th place.

"I got a good start today, then a couple of cars made contact at the first corner, which slowed me down," he said.

"Then, at the second chicane, I came close to Jenson and eventually lost all the advantage I’d gained.

"Jenson and I were on two different tyre strategies, to try to cover all possible opportunities. I was on the Prime, which was one second slower than the Option, so I had a slower first stint, but then I was a bit quicker in the second.

"In the final laps, I felt a loss of power and was told to retire the car, so as not to cause further damage. We were outside the points anyway, so it was a wise decision."

Button rose to ninth on the first lap but was helpless to defend as he slipped down to 14th.

"The whole first lap was good – there were a lot of incidents, and I think I got up into ninth," he said.

"Then, unfortunately, I just waited for the other cars to come by. It was a bit difficult out there, because the other drivers were overtaking me in places that I didn’t previously think were possible, so I had to look in my mirrors on the entry to every corner."

If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.