Alguersuari: F1 has become an auction

By on Saturday, February 16, 2013

Jaime Alguersuari has expressed his dismay with the way he has been treated over the last couple of years.

Red Bull dropped Alguersuari from their roster of drivers at the end of 2011 after two and a half years of racing for Toro Rosso and failed to find a seat for 2012. He has revealed that throughout his absence from the sport, he had been promised a 2013 seat by a team capable of scoring points.

"I never imagined that after Red Bull's incomprehensible decision not to count on meĀ in 2012, having done my best sporting season in F1 [2011], I would have to fight so much outside the track before finally assuming that in 2013 I will not be in F1," he said in an official statement.

"I assure everyone that I have been convinced for most of the 2012 F1 season that my seat was secured in a team that usually scores. So they did tell me and I believed it to be true. Due to this conviction I passed up other opportunities in other championships. Those who committed themselves with me have given me reasons that I must accept but that I do not share."

"F1 has become an auction," added the Spaniard, who has been heavily linked with Force India

Alguersuari, who lost another potential seat when BMW opted to sign Timo Glock to their DTM line-up, hopes that another season with Pirelli will help his chances of returning in 2014.

"Is my career over in F1 at 22 years old? Despite everything, I strongly don't think so," he said. So I will continue to be active in Formula 1 [as a Pirelli test driver], and complete more kilometers than any third driver in this discipline. I know how old I am, I know my track record and I'm convinced that I deserve a winning car in F1. And I will keep fighting for it."


If you liked this post then share it with your friends on social media websites. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest F1 news.

On this day
No events