2009 Winter & Mid-season testing (Results and Pictures)

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: 2009 Winter & Mid-season testing (Results and Pictures)

Post by megasyxx » 09 Mar 2009, 16:47

Barcelona - 09/03/2009
1 . N. Heidfeld - BMW Sauber F1.09 - 1:20.338 (+ 0.000 ) - 96 laps
2 . K. Raikkonen - Ferrari F60 - 1:20.908 (+ 0.570 ) - 81 laps
3 . J. Trulli - Toyota TF109 - 1:20.937 (+ 0.599 ) - 121 laps
4 . J. Button - Brawn GP Mercedes BGP001 - 1:21.140 (+ 0.802 ) - 82 laps
5 . N. Piquet - Renault R29 - 1:21.662 (+ 1.324 ) - 126 laps
6 . S. Bourdais - Toro Rosso Ferrari STR4 - 1:22.158 (+ 1.820 ) - 86 laps
7 . M. Webber - Red Bull Renault RB5 - 1:22.246 (+ 1.908 ) - 117 laps
8 . A. Sutil - Force India Mercedes VJM02 - 1:22.452 (+ 2.114 ) - 129 laps
9 . K. Nakajima - Williams Toyota FW31 - 1:22.813 (+ 2.475 ) - 111 laps
10 . H. Kovalainen - McLaren Mercedes MP4-24 - 1:22.948 (+ 2.610 ) - 90 laps.

wtf!!! mclaren slowest again?!?!?!? :fear:

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 09 Mar 2009, 17:01

Okay, now this is worrying.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 09 Mar 2009, 17:15

i guess they were too aggressive in the design of the mp4-24, will we see another 2004-like season for the mclaren team?

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 09 Mar 2009, 17:36

Maybe worse....

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 09 Mar 2009, 17:42

:( dam* ....if nothing changes for them for the remainder of the tests this week, i guess it's goodbye championship challenge for them this year.
Last edited by megasyxx on 09 Mar 2009, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.

coup
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by coup » 09 Mar 2009, 17:42

I know i'm not going to be liked for saying this, but I would like mclaren to have a bad season, just so that we can see what hamilton's made of. Up until now f1 has been pretty easy for him, and he could could so easily be a double world champion from his first two seasons, so now its time for things to get a bit more difficult for him...

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 09 Mar 2009, 17:46

I'm sticking with the sandbagging excuse until FP1. :p

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 09 Mar 2009, 17:48

Surely they still can't be sandbagging though - not with a two weeks left until they head to Oz. Maybe they are focusing on something and being differenr from other teams. Maybe they will do what happened to Renault in 2007, after focusing so much on 2006 they were bad, like McLaren spent millions for 0.1s for Brazil, maybe they put too much effort into 2008 over 2009 and its costing them now

coup
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by coup » 09 Mar 2009, 17:50

are they still struggling with their 09 spec rear wing? I read somewhere that it kept stalling

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 09 Mar 2009, 17:51

At the first day of this week's Barcelona test, McLaren have surprised the paddock with a radical reshape to their car's floor.

Rather than a flat continuous floor inside the coke bottle shape, the MP4-24 has appeared with a curious cutaway section: a triangular section of floor is missing between the forward part of the floor, which follows the curve of the sidepods and a squared off edge just ahead of the diffuser.

The rules demand a flat bottom underneath the car, with no part of the car visible from below. In recent years this cut-out would have exposed the flip-ups, but the cleaner sidepod lines allows the team to try this new floor shaping.

A diffuser creates its downforce at two points: firstly at the kick-line between the diffuser\floor, then secondly at its leading edge.

By effectively moving this leading edge backwards, McLaren are also moving the downforce it creates towards the rear. This may be part of a McLaren strategy to focus downforce production on the front wing and diffuser, as both devices are efficient at creating downforce with little drag.

If these two devices can create enough downforce, then the rear wing can be smaller reducing drag and gaining speed on the straights.

With no question on the floor's legality, McLaren may have stolen a march on the opposition at a time that many observers have been questioning the team's testing pace.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 09 Mar 2009, 18:09

''hmm'' ..... no further comment,....not at least they qualify on the front row @ aussie and win the race :lol:

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 09 Mar 2009, 18:10

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEaCjaBmsgY[/youtube]

todays video....

enjoy.. :p

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 09 Mar 2009, 18:14

McLaren throw modifications at the MP4-24

Following a troubled test last week at Jerez, the McLaren Mercedes team were back in action today in Barcelona with Heikki Kovalainen behind the wheel.

The test team today fitted the MP4-24 with the 2009-specification rear wing after opting to run the older high downforce 2008 device for the bulk of the pre-season running.

The morning session was spent focusing on longer runs using an existing bodywork package in order to establish an accurate baseline ahead of the evaluation of new parts in the afternoon.

During the lunch break, MP4-24 was fitted with a new front wing, floor and top body and the programme continued - on identical fuel-loads - throughout the afternoon.

Kovalainen completed 90 laps over the day, his best lap of 1:22.948s coming on his 85th tour. The Finn was the slowest of the ten runners, 2.610s off the ultimate pace.

The team now turns its focus towards tuning the set-up in order to fully exploit the characteristics of the new aero kit.

***from f1-racing live.com

....thanks for the vids shail :thumbsup:

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 09 Mar 2009, 18:15

Brawn GP are looking Okay........ Better than expected

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 09 Mar 2009, 18:16

megasyxx wrote:McLaren throw modifications at the MP4-24

Following a troubled test last week at Jerez, the McLaren Mercedes team were back in action today in Barcelona with Heikki Kovalainen behind the wheel.

The test team today fitted the MP4-24 with the 2009-specification rear wing after opting to run the older high downforce 2008 device for the bulk of the pre-season running.

The morning session was spent focusing on longer runs using an existing bodywork package in order to establish an accurate baseline ahead of the evaluation of new parts in the afternoon.

During the lunch break, MP4-24 was fitted with a new front wing, floor and top body and the programme continued - on identical fuel-loads - throughout the afternoon.

Kovalainen completed 90 laps over the day, his best lap of 1:22.948s coming on his 85th tour. The Finn was the slowest of the ten runners, 2.610s off the ultimate pace.

The team now turns its focus towards tuning the set-up in order to fully exploit the characteristics of the new aero kit
Is this a good/bad thing for Macca fans???
Webber Interview

"I think it is too close to call," the Queanbeyan-born Red Bull driver explained to Australia's Herald Sun. "I cannot remember another off-season in winter testing being this close. We've just had another week in Jerez and it is really difficult to read into who is doing what. I can't believe that, after the massive regulation changes, we're still all within a tenth of a second or so of each other."

Poor and freak weather conditions in testing have more than played their part during the off-season this year, with downpours in Europe and sandstorms in Bahrain all throwing variables into the mix. As a result, many teams have had their days at the top of the timesheets; Webber continued to give his opinions on who looks the fastest so far: "It is us (Red Bull), Toyota, Williams, Ferrari and BMW. We all have, at certain times, done the business - and the Renault as well. There are a lot of people in it; you would expect McLaren maybe to have done a bit more, going by the testing over the last few years. But apart from that, we all know that they are more than capable of turning up in Melbourne and spanking everyone.

With car setups still being fine tuned, last week's Jerez test saw Kimi Räikkönen suffering with back pains as a result of discomfort in the Ferrari F60, although Webber is more than happy with the cockpit of his Red Bull-Renault RB5: "It's the most comfortable car I've been in, to be honest, in terms of seating position - I feel that I'm driving well. I've still got a bit of work to do though with the balance of the car, but I've been around long enough to know that there are no points for driving from November to February. I feel very happy with my consistency, which is key for me. I've never been overly concerned about the pace because I know race weekend is when it matters."
Analysis from 9 March testing
BMW Sauber’s Nick Heidfeld may have ended the first day of testing at Barcelona’s Circuit de Catalunya on top, but all anyone could talk about at the end of Monday’s session was Jenson Button’s sterling performance in the newly-launched Brawn car. After leading for most of the day, Button eventually finished fourth, with a time just eight-tenths of a second adrift of Heidfeld’s quickest lap.

The session, the first of the year to feature all 10 teams in action with their new cars, started wet, but with no further rain showers the Spanish track quickly dried out. Finishing behind Heidfeld, but ahead of Button, were Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen and Toyota’s Jarno Trulli in second and third respectively.

Heidfeld covered 92 laps as he concentrated on several race-related procedures, including pit-stop practice, and fine tuning his working relationship with his engineers and mechanics. The German also took advantage of the good weather to carry out some set-up and aero work. He will continue to test the F1.09 on Tuesday.

Raikkonen, meanwhile, completed 81 laps in the F60 for Ferrari. The Finn was charged with finding the car’s best set-up, evaluating its reliability and comparing various aerodynamic solutions. He will be in action for the Italian team again on Tuesday. Trulli, meanwhile, covered 121 laps for Toyota as he worked on the TF109’s aerodynamics, brakes and set-up.

"This morning started off with drizzly conditions but the rain quickly tailed off, giving us the chance to have a good day's work,” said the Italian. “The car felt well balanced from the start and we worked on several new things on the aero side which gave us positive results. We were competitive throughout the day and we collected a lot of data so this was a useful start to the test."
Q&A with Nico Rosberg and Kazuki Nakajima
Q: What are you expecting from the team this season?
Nico Rosberg: The rule changes are a fantastic thing for us. We’ve started from scratch and come up with lots of innovative new ideas. When you are given a whole new set of rules to work from it really does give you an opportunity to go away and do something special. You have to be ingenious. We have lots of great people in our aero and design departments and I have a lot of faith in their abilities. As a really strong team in general, this is a great opportunity for everyone at Williams to show what we can do.
Kazuki Nakajima: I agree with Nico’s comments, the rule changes provide a good opportunity for us. It’s too early to work out where everyone is; we will have to wait until we get to Melbourne to see how the land lies, but the team have done a good job over the winter and there is definitely a positive atmosphere at the factory, so I’m looking forward to the new season.

Q: How different are this year’s cars to last year’s?
NR: Driving-wise, this year’s cars aren’t particularly different. What has changed is the balance of the car. Relative to last year, we’re experiencing more oversteer in the slow speed corners and that is the one main thing that will make a difference to lap time. So, if you can get more grip in those corners, and you’re going to have to adapt your driving style to achieve that, then that’s where you’re going to make up the time.
KN: There is also a difference in the cockpit with the KERS boost button and the adjustable front wing flap button. We can change the wing from between zero and six degrees and that will really help when we’re following another car. It’s a very interesting and useful device.

Q: Can you talk about what’s it like being behind the wheel now - how much more mental capacity do you need over a lap with all the new controls at your disposal?
NR: The changes in the cockpit are one of the biggest changes the drivers face this year. We have a lot more to do now. You can use the KERS button every lap so it gives the drivers a lot to think about. Then there are also buttons for the diff, the brake balance, the flap, the radio, the drink - there’s a lot going on! In my father’s car in the team’s museum, there’s a steering wheel and a gear lever, that’s it!
With the front wings considerably wider this year, will you have to be more cautious?
KN: I think we will just have to get used to the difference. We will need to be a bit more cautious in the first few races while we’re doing that, but I’m sure everyone will get used to them fairly quickly.

Q: Williams is a team with a strong history but it hasn’t been performing at its optimum for a few years. Do you feel the pressure?
NR: I feel it, of course. It’s a team that really breathes racing. It’s amazing that every person in the factory, whatever their role is, puts just so much effort into what they’re doing. Everyone’s expectations are so high and personal expectations particularly so. When they’re not winning, you can really feel that around the place.

Q: Nico, what are your objectives for this season?
NR: For me, this is a crucial year. I want success, that’s what I race for. By 2010 at the latest I want to be in a winning car and I really hope that will be with Williams. It would be great to be a part of a successful Williams team.

Q: Nico, your contract is up at the end of this year, any comment to make on that?
NR: I’m not thinking about my contract at the moment. I want to concentrate on the season ahead. At the moment, I am also completely fascinated by all of the new technology so understanding that is taking up all of my attention.

Q: Nico, it’s clear you’re impatient for success. Do you feel you should be further up the grid?
NR: It’s just the way it is. Some drivers get to the top quicker than others. And there’s an element of luck about it and getting the right car at the right time.

Q: Have you questioned your ability?
NR: It’s not an easy thing coming to a race track, driving as fast as you can and still feeling you are nowhere. Knowing how to handle that and getting the best out of what you have is an important learning curve. My goal is clear and I’m going to give it my all to get there as soon as possible.

Q: Kazuki, you are the only Japanese driver on the grid and you now have another year under your belt. What are your goals for 2009?
KN: This is also a crucial year for me. It’s too early to talk about the car and where we are performance-wise, so I am really concentrating on myself and making sure that I’m preparing as best I can. I learnt a lot last year and I will be drawing upon that experience this year. Specifically, my main goals will be race consistency and to gain a deeper understanding of both the car and the tracks.

Q: The chance to get good results in Formula One racing is notoriously difficult. What did you learn from your experiences last year?
NR: The most important thing is to learn from the mistakes you make and to progress. I had four opportunities for a good result last year, two worked out and two didn’t. The only one that really frustrated me was Monaco, conditions were difficult and I messed up.

Q: Are you bringing any new elements to your approach this year?
NR: I’m always looking to get the best from myself in my training in order to become the best possible racing driver. Fitness has always been an important issue in Formula One and none more so than this year with the introduction of KERS. Because of the additional weight KERS brings to the car, I’ve concentrated on my weight more than ever over this winter. I wouldn’t put a number on how many kilos I’ve lost, but I’ve been quite strict with myself food-wise and been careful about how much muscle training I’ve done to ensure I haven’t bulked up.

Q: What are the most important requirements of being a good racing driver?
NR: Intelligence, awareness, quick thinking, positivity and the ability to drive creatively are all important. Talent is the most important thing though and the key to that is good hand-eye co-ordination and understanding the fastest way to get from A to B. It’s an ability.

Q: How much time do you spend at the factory and is that important to you?
NR: I live in Monaco so I probably visit once a month. Because I don’t get over as much as I’d like, I always try and make it a long visit. When I do come over, I’ll take time to wander round and see everyone. Every time I’ve done that recently there seems to be a good atmosphere around the place which is great as it gives me a real boost for when I go out on track.
KN: I live in Oxford so I spend a lot of time at the factory. Mainly I’ll come in to spend time with my engineers and to use the simulator, which is more important than ever now with the testing restrictions. In the past two weeks, I’ve been at Williams pretty much everyday so, in answer to your question, a lot! And, like Nico, I also feel that positive atmosphere in the factory.

How useful is the simulator?
KN: We have all the tracks loaded into our simulator so I’m currently spending a lot of time on it preparing for Australia and Malaysia, which is great to be able to do. There was a bit of work done to it over the winter to adjust for the new rules, but now it is almost identical to the car on the track so I’m using it for set-ups and race simulations.

Q: Williams have faced a tough winter with the current financial situation. And the news about RBS must be disappointing for the team?
NR: The RBS contract expires at the end of 2010 anyway so I don’t really understand what the problem is. The good news is it that we still have two more years with a very good partner. That’s the thing about Formula One, sponsors come and go and we always have to find new ones. It’s unfortunate, but it’s not a huge concern for the team. Williams is financially healthy at the moment. It was before the rule changes and is probably more so now, so there are no concerns in that area.

Q: Kazuki, how do you feel about Honda leaving the sport?
KN: For the Japanese Formula One fans, it’s a real shame. We will all miss Honda because they’ve achieved so much success in the sport. But I think because of their current situation their withdrawal was unavoidable. They could always come back though.

Q: What are you going to do with all the extra days you’ll now have when you can’t test between races?
NR: I’ve applied to university! No, just kidding! I came to this sport because I wanted to drive racing cars and the funny thing is that’s the smallest part of my job!
KN: I’ll be in that simulator as much as I can!
Last edited by phil1993 on 09 Mar 2009, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.