Kawasaki Quits Moto GP!!!!!

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
HandoZiZle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Kawasaki Quits Moto GP!!!!!

Post by HandoZiZle » 01 Jan 2009, 20:21

Wow this is a shocker...sucks for Hopkins.

"Kawasaki have pulled the plug on their MotoGP program leaving riders John Hopkins and Marco Melandri without rides and destroying the fond myth that the Japanese manufacturers were bound either contractually or by 'gentleman's agreement' to continue indefinitely in MotoGP.

SPEEDtv.com has learned from sources speaking on condition of anonymity that the decision is final and was made “at the highest level of Kawasaki” to halt all plans to race in the FIM MotoGP series in 2009.

Marco Melandri has confirmed this and is looking for a last-minute ride. Both Melandri and Hopkins are still contracted to ride for Kawasaki and might be paid to sit out the season. Melandri, however,has already contacted several World Superbike teams.

Additional sources confirm that Honda HRC considered the possibility of withdrawing as well, but have decided to continue in 2009. They will reevaluate the situation during the season.

While the race bosses and engineers who represent the Japanese industry in the MSMA have given assurances to Dorna that they intend to continue, the 'promises' that can most easily be broken are the ones made in internal budgets. Commercial directors in the Japanese industry are slashing budgets for 2009 and racing plans based on these pre-approved but now inoperative budgets are as vulnerable as the world economy itself. "

phil1993

Re: Kawasaki Quits Moto GP!!!!!

Post by phil1993 » 01 Jan 2009, 20:25

Its odd (well, not really) that all manufacturers (except Audi for LMS) that have pulled out of Motorsport have been Japanese - Honda (F1), Subaru, Suzuki (WRC), Kawasaki (MotoGP), which shows how the Economic crisis has hit there and the UK is suffering (the value of the GB pound is crashing) and most of these manufacters although Japanese have big factories in England an inflation is causing problems leading, ironically, to deflation and they cannot afford to keep factories in the UK open.

Essay over, its a shame for Hoppa.

HandoZiZle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by HandoZiZle » 01 Jan 2009, 20:32

Wow, i didn't even know that Audi pulled out of LMS.

coup
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by coup » 02 Jan 2009, 06:59

I think Audi are still going to do sebring 12hr and le mans 24hr

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 02 Jan 2009, 07:51

Yes they will still do Sebring and LeMans

raikkonen4ever
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by raikkonen4ever » 02 Jan 2009, 08:48

What a shame...First Honda, then Suzuki and Subaru and now Kawasaki joining them, who's next? :(

Kawasaki had shown they can be the podium finisher in 2006-2007 with Shinya Nakano and Randy de Puniet, so it's a shame they won't be competing in 2009 and shame for Hopkins and Melandri aswell. After a tough time in 2008, Melandri faces even tougher time in 2009 with this withdrawal. :(

So, 4 Japanese manufacturers has confirms quits because of this global crisis, I hope Honda and Yamaha won't leave MotoGP, remembering that Honda have to make a lot of bikes for their factory and 3 privateer teams and it's surely cost quite a lot of money.
Last edited by raikkonen4ever on 02 Jan 2009, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

coup
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by coup » 02 Jan 2009, 10:59

autosport.com wrote:Aspar in talks to run Kawasakis
Leading 125cc and 250cc team Aspar are working on a deal to run the ex-works Kawasakis in MotoGP this year following the Japanese manufacturer's decision to quit the series.

As reported by autosport.com earlier this week, Kawasaki is set to officially confirm its exit from MotoGP in the coming days, leaving just four factory teams on the grid.

Aspar came close to agreeing a satellite Kawasaki deal for 2009, only for the plan to fall through because Kawasaki's preferred rider Shinya Nakano was not favoured by Aspar's Spanish backers.

But now Aspar boss Jorge Martinez says talks have resumed as championship organiser Dorna works to keep a Kawasaki presence in MotoGP.

"At the moment I'm on vacation with my family," Martinez told Gazzetta dello Sport. "However, since it has been known that Kawasaki was not taking part next season, my vacations have practically finished.

"For the last two days I've been on the phone with Dorna. They called me first. We are in contact and talks to buy out the two Kawasakis have started.

"For sure I'm very interested in MotoGP. It's a project that was already in my plans. Now there is this opportunity which I don't yet know with certainty whether it will come to be and how. From my part there is the will to talk. We'll see."

Kawasaki already had John Hopkins and Marco Melandri under contract for 2009. The American's personal sponsorship from energy drink company Monster could prove valuable to any team taking on the Kawasakis, and although Martinez was unwilling to discuss rider plans, he hinted that he would also be happy to retain Melandri.

"The matter regarding riders isn't a priority at the moment," said Martinez.

"I certainly wouldn't have any problem with Melandri. In fact, he's a rider I've always liked very much."

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 02 Jan 2009, 18:11

sad....but all of them will come back someday, i guess. :D

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 02 Jan 2009, 19:03

Yes, but when - this crisis is bad, perhaps the worst since the Wall St Crash of 1929, and it may take 10-20 years to recover... look at the Japanese property market; it had a 75% crash in 1987 and it still has not recovered. It may not be directly related to motorsport but you can see that sorting ot these things are more important to governments than funding companies' motor racing

MP4/4#12
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by MP4/4#12 » 02 Jan 2009, 19:06

Let`s hope so, the grid in Motogp was already small last season, if there`s a crash in the 1st corner taking out 2 or 3 riders it`s even worse.

raikkonen4ever
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by raikkonen4ever » 03 Jan 2009, 13:04

But they haven't confirmed that they will quit MotoGP, don't they?

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 03 Jan 2009, 19:07

It is confirmed,Kawasaki have buggered off and left the Moto Gp team out to dry.Hopkins and Melandri are both great riders,but made bad career moves and now are facing unemployment in 2009

Suntrek
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Suntrek » 04 Jan 2009, 11:49

It's a real shame. :(

I'll miss Kawasaki green a lot.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.