2009 Winter & Mid-season testing (Results and Pictures)

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
syncmaster
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: 2009 Winter & Mid-season testing (Results and Pictures)

Post by syncmaster » 10 Dec 2008, 17:38

fclen wrote:
iceman1 wrote:Image
Would something like that be allowed? :huh:
It might be related to KERS.
Desire has no limits

fclen
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by fclen » 10 Dec 2008, 17:40

KERS or not, If it slices through tires upon impact, that can't be good. And banging tires is not unheard of in F1...

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 10 Dec 2008, 18:41

A sunny second day of testing for Kimi Raikkonen. But the Finnish driver had to wait for half of the morning, so he could run on slicks, as the track remained wet for a long time in the morning. Furthermore the session had to be interrupted, because Alonso's Renault spun off the track.

"We haven't done many kilometres over these two days, because the conditions weren't really good," Kimi said when he met the press during the lunch break. "We're mainly trying to understand how the slicks work and we're testing some solutions the car will use in the upcoming season. It's useless to speculate about what will be in the future. Too many things are different on the cars on the track. To get a precise idea we have to wait until we all have the new cars."

As far as Honda's withdrawal and the actual situation in Formula One are concerned, Kimi didn't want to say too much: "Obviously I was really surprised by Honda's decision last week, but I don't want to comment what's happening at the moment."

At around 3:30pm Felipe Massa arrived at Jerez directly from Brazil. Felipe immediately came to the box and got briefed by his technicians about the test sessions and got ready to go on the track.
The McLaren-Mercedes team joined some of their rivals on Wednesday in launching a new-for-2009 look at the Jerez circuit, running a revised front wing.

Spanish test driver Pedro de la Rosa took to the Spanish circuit with an interim version of the MP4-23 car, with the radical front wing and a 2008-like rear one.

The British squad are one of the first to test with their 2009 wing, joining rivals BMW Sauber, who have already been testing their 2009 aero package for some time.

Unlike BMW's, McLaren's front wing did not include the distinctive endplates.

De la Rosa was joined today by Finn Heikki Kovalainen, who is getting his first taste of the MP4-23K, the car used for KERS testing.

McLaren's director of engineering Paddy Lowe said earlier this week that the team were 'very positive' about the progress made with their 2009 so far.

"I am very positive actually," Lowe told autosport.com. "We have got a lot of exciting things coming through to the car - some of them from new regulations and some of them which are things we were working on anyway. So I am feeling very optimistic actually.

"Obviously there is a bit of a shake-up with all the rules, as anything can happen. But the team are working very, very well, so I think wherever we end up we will feel proud of what we have done."
Final times of the day:

1º. Buemi - 1.18:073 - 128 laps
3º. Sato - 1.18:601 - 37 laps
2º. Bourdais - 1.18:673 - 81 laps
3º. De la Rosa - 1.19:032 - 78 laps
5º. Raikkonen - 1.19:334 - 89 laps
4º. Kovalainen - 1.19:631 - 64 laps
6º. Alonso - 1.19:907 -106 laps
8º. Rosberg - 1.20:309 - 122 laps
7º. Heidfeld - 1.20:365 - 87 laps
9º. Massa - 1.20:490 - 27 laps
10º. Kubica - 1.20:954 - 38 laps
ImageImage
ImageImage

syncmaster
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by syncmaster » 10 Dec 2008, 19:28

Every one is talking about the cars and the new look of the cars.But no have discussed about the Toro Rosso,they are quick in each and every test session that have taken place up til now.I known that test lap times and race lap times will be different but saying this and ignoring Toro Rosso is not good who knowns they may be the top runner or may be the champion contender in 2009
Desire has no limits

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 10 Dec 2008, 19:31

The McLaren looks great, best looking car so far. The BMW still looks awful to me, can´t get used to it.

In the german press, Christian Danner, former F1 pilot expressed the idea of a standard chassis, built by a currently non involved company, like Dallara in Indycar to cut the cost in F1 dramatically. To remain competition between the manufactures, F1 should go back to V6 Turbos with unrestricted rpm, but restricted fuel consumption over a GP weekend, in order to save fuel for economical and economic reasons.

What do you think of his idea?
I like it, I mean the engines have been the major part of F1 in the past, it would end all that standard engine nonsense and also reduce fuel consumption by setting a limit. At present the teams are very wasteful on fuel. A standard chassis would also cut the cost dramatically, as aerodynamical research wouldn´t be needed anymore, it could save up to let´s say 120 million dollars a year per team? maybe more.

In my oppinion this is the better way, standard chassis -> open engine development than the current way:
open chassis development -> banned engine development (standard) engine.

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 10 Dec 2008, 20:59

syncmaster wrote:Every one is talking about the cars and the new look of the cars.But no have discussed about the Toro Rosso,they are quick in each and every test session that have taken place up til now.I known that test lap times and race lap times will be different but saying this and ignoring Toro Rosso is not good who knowns they may be the top runner or may be the champion contender in 2009
Toro Rosso is running 08 spec car so the times they post are pretty much irrelevant. Actually everyone is on a different stage in their 09 development right now so there's no use looking at the times yet.

kimi and mika
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by kimi and mika » 10 Dec 2008, 21:10

AzShadow wrote:
syncmaster wrote:Every one is talking about the cars and the new look of the cars.But no have discussed about the Toro Rosso,they are quick in each and every test session that have taken place up til now.I known that test lap times and race lap times will be different but saying this and ignoring Toro Rosso is not good who knowns they may be the top runner or may be the champion contender in 2009
Toro Rosso is running 08 spec car so the times they post are pretty much irrelevant. Actually everyone is on a different stage in their 09 development right now so there's no use looking at the times yet.
It's true, because Sato and the 2 Sebs are not 1 second quicker that Kimi and 2 seconds quicker than Massa. Wait till febuary...then you will see relative pace.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 11 Dec 2008, 14:08

Heidfeld: Slicks the biggest challenge
BMW Sauber's Nick Heidfeld has highlighted need to preserve the condition of Bridgestone's new control slick tyres as the most significant factor in determining car set-up in 2009.

Although the new-for-2009 wings have attracted to most attention, the German believes that understanding the tyres will be critical next year.

The new slick tyres are to the same dimensions as the old-specification grooved ones. This means that proportionally there is a bigger gain in grip from taking the four grooves out of the narrower front tyres compared to the four out of the rear.

"There are differences in setting up the car, but it is mainly because of the tyres, not the aerodynamics," said Heidfeld. "Everyone knows that the rears will go off like crazy and that's the main thing to work on.

"You have a lot less downforce that obviously gives you less grip in general, but the biggest challenge is the tyres. We seem to have proportionally too much grip on the front compared to the rear."

Although in last month's Barcelona test teams struggled to generate sufficient tyre temperature in cold conditions, at Jerez they have been battling rear tyre wear, which makes the cars increasingly oversteery as a stint goes on.

"The rear tyre wear is very bad," said Heidfeld. "It is completely different to Barcelona where nobody could heat them up.

"In Barcelona, as well as the soft we had the hard tyre and I think nobody, even the guys with high downforce, were able to use it!

"The problem is the degradation of the rear tyres. It's bad, but at least it's good that everyone is in the same position."

Despite his concerns, Heidfeld is confident that there will be no repeat of his 2008 problems when he struggled with front tyre warm-up in qualifying.

"After testing at two different circuits I am starting to understand the tyres a lot more and we will not have the same problems," said Heidfeld. "I think I understood quicker and easier with this year's tyres than with last year's."
14:21
1º. Buemi - 1.17:258 - 64 laps
2º. Sato - 1.17:520 - 64 laps
3º. Kovalainen - 1.18:049 - 44 laps
4º. Raikkonen - 1.18:826 - 34 laps
5º. Massa - 1.19:061 - 39 laps
6º. Alonso - 1.19:319 - 85 laps
7º. Rosberg - 1.19:388 - 91 laps
8º. De la Rosa - 1.19:499 - 35 laps
9º. Kubica - 1.19:599 - 77 laps
10º. Klien 1.19:738 - 55 laps

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 11 Dec 2008, 16:36

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Translated Q&A with an ever talkative Raikkonen from AFCA

Q: Will the cars be faster with less downforce but with slick tyres ?
Raikkonen: ''I don't know yet, it's difficult to say in the winter. Here we're slower than we were last year. It depends on how the car will be. Maybe we'll find out in January where we really are.''

Q: Will the new cars be easier or more difficult to drive ?
Raikkonen: ''I don't think there will be big differences.''

Q: Ferrari hasn't tested KERS yet. Are you curious about it ?
Raikkonen: ''We haven't, but we're not the only ones. Perhaps only BMW Sauber has already got one that works. We'll see when we have it.''

Q: Will the field more even out next year ?
Raikkonen: ''Could be, or maybe not, it depends on who comes out with the best car. There are a lot more question marks over things compared to last year, it's completely different. If you do everything well you could have an advantage, if you mess up it could cost you dearly. But this is not the moment to speculate.''

Q: What's your take on the financial crisis that has also hit Formula 1 ? And Honda's sudden withdrawal from the sport...
Raikkonen: ''No comments.''

Q: What's your opinion on the much discussed standard engine ?
Raikkonen: ''I've got nothing to say. Meanwhile we're racing with the engines that we have, later we'll think about the future.''

Q: Okay, but at least what do you think of Formula 1's future ?
Raikkonen: ''I don't know. I know as much about it as the others here. We'll see what will happen, let's hope everything will be fine.''
ImageImage
ImageImage
Final times

1º. Buemi - 1.17:258 - 138 laps
2º. Sato - 1.17:520 - 119 laps
3º. Kovalainen - 1.18:049 - 96 laps
4º. Raikkonen - 1.18:782 - 82 laps
5º. Massa - 1.19:050 - 72 laps
6. Alonso - 1.19:319 - 124 laps
7º. Rosberg - 1.19:388 - 130 laps
8º. De la Rosa - 1.19:499 - 47 laps
9º. Kubica - 1.19:559 - 134 laps
10º. Klien 1.19:738 - 101 laps
Final testing day at Jerez

Circuit: Jerez Circuit - 4.428 km
Drivers: Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa
Car: F2008
Weather: air temperature 6/14 °C, track temperature 5/18 °C. Sunny.

Third and final day of testing for Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro, working once again today at the Jerez de la Frontera circuit in the south of Spain.

Once again today, both Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa were on track, continuing to work on finding the best set-up for the F2008, fitted with slick tyres and new development components aimed at next season. Kimi also carried on with the endurance test of the 056 engine.

The day in figures is as follows: 82 laps for Kimi (best time 1:18.782) and 72 for Felipe (1:19.050.)

The final test session of 2008 for Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro will take place at the new Portimao circuit, in the Algarve (Portugal) from 15 to 17 December. The driver line-up for this test has yet to be finalised.

syncmaster
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by syncmaster » 11 Dec 2008, 16:38

@shail69 Thanks for the pictures
Desire has no limits

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 11 Dec 2008, 22:43

Thanks shail ;

a nice comment by stefmeiser
Buemi's had more time in the car this week, however Bourdais been driving it all year so shoudn't need as much time in the car as Buemi in order to get the most out of it. Sato has more F1 experience but hasn't had a great deal of time in the STR & hadn't driven an F1 car since April yet jumped straght in & matched Bourdais fairly quickly.

The problem Bourdais has is that Red Bull are looking to expend there brand name in Japan & if Sato can prove to be as fast as Bourdais as well as give a similar level of car feedback then STR may be more inclined to pick Sato over Bourdais for the marketability aspect, with no French Gp in 2009 they don't really need a French Driver. Buemi is a young Red Bull Backed Driver & from what I've read it seems STR would prefer to have a young driver alongside an experienced one so he would make an excellent #2 alongside Bourdais or Sato.

The other problem is that Gerhard Berger has left STR & I believe it was Berger that pushed for Bourdais to be signed to begin with, now that STR is totally owned by Red Bull they are more likely to look at things from a marketability standpoint while I think Berger did things that he felt was in the best intrest of the team from a success standpoint.

I think the best bet for Bourdais is that Jean & Nicholas Todt buy Honda (Which is something I've seen rumoured), with Bourdais been managed by Nicholas Todt he'd almost certainly end up alongside Button next year in whatever the team ends up been called.

Haukinen
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Haukinen » 14 Dec 2008, 11:09

New Williams:

"F1 won't change me" -Jenson Button, just weeks before dumping his girlfriend of five years and buying a Ferrari

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 15 Dec 2008, 13:19

Felipe Massa and Luca Badoer will be testing over the next 3 days at Portimao in Portugal starting from today.Mclaren are also expected to join them.

Meanwhile Red Bull, BMW sauber and others are testing at Jerez and Toyota are at Exclusive testing at Bahrain.
Results so far from Jerez
1º. Nico Hülkenberg 1.22:749 9 laps
2º. Sebastien Buemi 1.24:594 13 lasp
3º. Brendon Hartley 1.24:314 2 laps
4º. Christian Klien - 2 laps
5º. Nick Heidfeld - 1 laps

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 15 Dec 2008, 17:26

Official debut at the Autodromo Internacional do Algarve

Circuit: Autodromo Internacional do Algarve - 4.692 km
Driver: Felipe Massa
Car: F2008
Weather: air temperature 11/15 °C, track temperature 14/17 °C. Sunny, very windy.

Formula 1 and Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro both made their official debut today at the Autodromo Internacional do Algarve, the new circuit near Portimão, in southern Portugal.

On a day affected by strong winds, Felipe Massa continued with the work the team had initiated last week at Jerez de la Frontera, which centred on an endurance test of the engine and on evaluating a few technical solutions aimed at the forthcoming season, as well as looking into the best set-up on the car, when fitted with the new slick tyres.

Testing ended ahead of schedule, as Felipe was feeling unwell. Up to that point, the Brazilian driver had completed 36 laps, the quickest in a time of 1.32.926.

The Scuderia continues testing at this circuit tomorrow, when Luca Badoer and Marc Gene will take to the track.

source : AFCA

MP4/4#12
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by MP4/4#12 » 15 Dec 2008, 19:03

This circuit is great, can`t wait to try it on a track day next year.