Brawn GP takes Honda F1’s place on the 2009 F1 grid

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Earth
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: For crisis, Honda leaves F1

Post by Earth » 07 Dec 2008, 14:20

What I heard :) : one of three interested persons is Dubai Investments Capital which is substitute by Magma :O .

Manny6
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Manny6 » 07 Dec 2008, 15:46

I just found out last nite..have not kept up with the recent news...this past week...but its very sad to see this happening to promising teams such as Honda...2009 would have been very strong for them with Ross brawn and a new approach....Someone or another company may take over but at what cost...seems to me most likely would be a German company..wont be an American company or....though I wont rule out a Business man such as Diddy or Jay-z guys like that...I don't think Trump is into Racing..but for sure it looks bad...and its safe to say the next in line could be STR and just keep the REDBull line on the Grid..The Cost cut will be looked at more closer then before it seems like the sport is going to be reduced to a GP2 type series...to provide more profitbility to attract more car makers..

raikkonen4ever
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by raikkonen4ever » 07 Dec 2008, 16:02

I'm sad to hear this, they have a potential to win and they have a lot of experienced personels and 2 very strong drivers.
They deserve a chance to stay in F1, but in the end it's all about the money :pout:

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 07 Dec 2008, 16:20

Is this good news for Senna, I think so, because the team hasn't got drivers now. They have to get everything together the coming couple of days. Really hope the team stays, nine is a bit low
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 07 Dec 2008, 16:21

Paul Stoddart: 'I think one more [team] will go before Melbourne so we'll see 8 teams with 3 drivers each.'

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 07 Dec 2008, 16:40

The Gravel Trap wrote:
Yours for £1 – nearly

In the current global credit crunch, all apparently caused by somebody in America lending money to somebody they shouldn’t have, you can find some real bargains.

Last week for instance, for just £1 you could pick up 800 branches of Woolworths, great if you are a ‘pick and mix’ fan and this week you can buy your very own F1 team, complete with factory, wind tunnel and a bearded playboy – also for just a quid.

However, as F1 fan, Liam O’Callaghan discovered yesterday it is not quite that straightforward.

Liam, 24, said: “I have placed my offer of £1 to the Honda board which seemed to be acceptable before being told they would want another £50 million after Christmas which is like a really bad time for me.”

He went on: “I went to the building society and they said that as a first time buyer I would need to put down a 25% deposit and that they then need to conduct a full structural survey on the team before confirming the loan which would then take me 175 years to pay off.”

Mr O’Callaghan is not believed to be planning the trip to Melbourne next March.

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 08 Dec 2008, 20:36

Why are the top teams investing around and over 400 million dollars a year? No engine development, limited testing, no tyre war. Opposed to that in 2002 when Toyota entered, they had a 250 million dollar budget and were the absolute front runners in that area, everybody was in awe back then. But that was with unrestricted development and testing!

So the logical consequence for 2008 must have been about 60-80 millions less, because no engine dfevelopment etc.

I don´t understand this massive cost increase, all because of inflation or what?

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 08 Dec 2008, 21:15

Earth is getting much expensive. I guess that is the reason. Maybe because the teams have to pay more to their staff and maybe all these bits is adding up to a large number. Technologies are getting more advanced and thus more expensive.

premier
kart driver
kart driver

Post by premier » 08 Dec 2008, 21:24

Unfortunatley that's the ugly reality. Honda wants F1 success so much, so they invited Ross to make them champions. But you should have resources. Imagine F1 without Ferrari! There are only 92 Ferraries sold worldwide in November comared to around 600 per month for so far. The auto industry is in agony

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 08 Dec 2008, 21:56

blizzard wrote:Why are the top teams investing around and over 400 million dollars a year? No engine development, limited testing, no tyre war. Opposed to that in 2002 when Toyota entered, they had a 250 million dollar budget and were the absolute front runners in that area, everybody was in awe back then. But that was with unrestricted development and testing!

So the logical consequence for 2008 must have been about 60-80 millions less, because no engine dfevelopment etc.

I don´t understand this massive cost increase, all because of inflation or what?
When they stop developing on one thing, they focus their resources on another. So the costs don't really get any less unless you restrict the whole development. When you can't get huge advantage from superior engine for instance, you have to use a lot of money in things like aerodynamics to get those few tenths that give you the winning car.

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 09 Dec 2008, 18:16

AzShadow wrote:
blizzard wrote:Why are the top teams investing around and over 400 million dollars a year? No engine development, limited testing, no tyre war. Opposed to that in 2002 when Toyota entered, they had a 250 million dollar budget and were the absolute front runners in that area, everybody was in awe back then. But that was with unrestricted development and testing!

When they stop developing on one thing, they focus their resources on another. So the costs don't really get any less unless you restrict the whole development. When you can't get huge advantage from superior engine for instance, you have to use a lot of money in things like aerodynamics to get those few tenths that give you the winning car.

Makes sense, thx for your statement. I didn´t think that way. Best way would be to ban development all season, for let´s say 3 years.

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 09 Dec 2008, 18:40

Then again, if you stop development, you stop competition too and that would ruin the sport... I don't think there can be Formula One without huge expenses. :blink: It just doesn't fit with the current economic situation.

ric.rios
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by ric.rios » 10 Dec 2008, 01:15

Rachael-The-Great wrote:I read in the paper that Bruno Senna is rumoured to be taking Rubens place at Honda if it is sold.
I don't know if that's true but it says he's tipped.
Here, the press talking in keeping Barrichello.
Barrichello: 300 GP's
"Turbinado no pé, imbatível na fé, brasileiro é que é."

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 13 Dec 2008, 12:41

Bernie should buy the team and reintroduce Brabham :) No seriously, I would like to see the team beeing supported by a billionaire, should give them a solid financial background. I´ve heard, that one of the richest Indians owns Aston Martin, is that rue? If so, what about him buying ex-Honda and bringing Aston Martin into F1. Or the people from Abu Dabi, who recently bought Manchester City, they are so rich, they could afford 5 F1 teams a year :)

Anyway I hope SOMEONE buys it, as quick as possible, I absolutely don´t want to see 18 cars in Melbourne.

And I like Jenson Button :O

fclen
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by fclen » 16 Dec 2008, 05:25

f1-live.com wrote:The French manufacturer PSA, selling cars under the names Peugeot and Citroen, has reportedly expressed interest in buying Honda's beleaguered Formula One team.

Anonymous sources apparently told the Belgian motor racing magazine Autosportnieuws that the carmaker, last involved in F1 as an engine supplier with the now-defunct Prost team, has made enquiries to buy the Brackley based team as an active F1 competitor.

Citroen's world rally team is the reigning drivers' and constructors' champion, and Peugeot is involved in Le Mans racing.

It is suggested that, given F1's willingness to vastly reduce operating costs, PSA is interested in stepping because it has not been hit as hard by the world economic crisis than some of its peers abroad.

The French government is also pledging financial support to the car sector, in return for Renault and Peugeot-Citroen promising to limit job cuts and plant closures.

It is suggested that Sebastien Bourdais, the French F1 driver whose Toro Rosso seat is in doubt for 2009, would be part of a PSA buyout, with Jenson Button as his team-mate.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International
I hope this turns out to be true.