To everyone

For all other topics which don't fit into other categories
Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

To everyone

Post by Fergie1 » 03 Nov 2008, 22:13

Sorry if I offended you with my posts in the F1 Brazil thread. Some were out of line. I apologise.
:wave:

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: To everyone

Post by TwistedArmco » 03 Nov 2008, 22:34

I was hibernating, so I didn't even see them.. :D
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 03 Nov 2008, 23:55

why did you change your avatar? were kinda used to see that geeky-looking dude with a moustache with uncombed hair ..... just kiddin :)

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 04 Nov 2008, 11:26

megasyxx wrote:why did you change your avatar? were kinda used to see that geeky-looking dude with a moustache with uncombed hair ..... just kiddin :)
Stalin, geeky? You are talking to me, right? Trust me, Stalin didn't look geeky in 1894, which is when I think that pic was from.

He was a student, just like me - look at the scarf/neckerchief thing! How is that not cool?? :)

Anyway, I changed it to the new avatar to reflect my immediate post-race depression.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 07 Nov 2008, 17:01

megasyxx wrote:why did you change your avatar? were kinda used to see that geeky-looking dude with a moustache with uncombed hair ..... just kiddin :)
That 'geeky-looking dude' sent 25 million people to their slow and painful deaths in conentration camps or by starving them through dekulakisation and collectivisation in the three five year plans (ironically only 4 years each) between 1928 and 1941 in an attempt to bring the USSR out of poverty and into a power house in 10 years.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 07 Nov 2008, 17:13

phil1993 wrote:That 'geeky-looking dude' sent 25 million people to their slow and painful deaths in concentration camps or by starving them through dekulakisation and collectivisation in the three five year plans (ironically only 4 years each) between 1928 and 1941 in an attempt to bring the USSR out of poverty and into a power house in 10 years.
i see, thanks for the info phil.....actually i though he was a hero or something, but he definitely looks like a geek in my eyes :laugh1:

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 07 Nov 2008, 17:58

Sorry, I don't see the point in laughing really, considering he was a strong leader, but mentally wrong and a more brutal dictator than Hitler, who no-one laughs at.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 07 Nov 2008, 18:36

phil1993 wrote:Sorry, I don't see the point in laughing really, considering he was a strong leader, but mentally wrong and a more brutal dictator than Hitler, who no-one laughs at.
ok, ok.....i apologise, i really have no idea who the guy is or how much the guy is loved/hated/feared. i'll never open up a topic regarding him again. :E

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 07 Nov 2008, 18:41

thank you.

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 08 Nov 2008, 15:36

megasyxx wrote:
phil1993 wrote:Sorry, I don't see the point in laughing really, considering he was a strong leader, but mentally wrong and a more brutal dictator than Hitler, who no-one laughs at.
ok, ok.....i apologise, i really have no idea who the guy is or how much the guy is loved/hated/feared. i'll never open up a topic regarding him again. :E

Have you ever been to school? I think it´s the least part of common education one should have, to know who Stalin was. Maybe not your fault, but I can only sheak my head over such things :hug:

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 08 Nov 2008, 17:43

History/Historical politics are brutal subjects. We only attach such stigma to Hitler and Stalin because they were the two most infamous dictators of the century. It's all subjective though. Remember how the allies carpet-bombed Dresden to no military or long term advantage? In the same way, not a great deal of stigma is attached to Mussolini or Ceausescu except in their respective countries, or even further back to bastards like Hernan Cortes (who was very vicious in his dealings with the Inca, despite being told not to kill them by the Spanish King) or the massive genocide of Congolese by King Leopold II of Belgium.

My point is not that it is right to laugh about Hitler and Stalin, just that almost every country in the world has some kind of vicious history, and that Hitler and Stalin, in a few centuries, will cease to hold such stigma, just like pretty much no one now has heard of Cortes or Leopold II. So ignorance about these massive 20th century issues is only going to get worse, but these issue only hide other issues.

EDIT: @ Megasyxx, geek is a bad word. :p Feasibly, you like Formula One = you're a geek, you post on a forum (20th in the post count) = you're a geek. See how it's subjective..

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 08 Nov 2008, 17:58

blizzard wrote:Have you ever been to school? I think it´s the least part of common education one should have, to know who Stalin was. Maybe not your fault, but I can only sheak my head over such things :hug:
of course i've been :) ....though i really have no idea before who stalin was, all i remember from school were genghis khan, ferdinand magellan, gen.douglas macarthur, emperor akihito....just to name some.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 08 Nov 2008, 18:10

TwistedArmco wrote:EDIT: @ Megasyxx, geek is a bad word. :p Feasibly, you like Formula One = you're a geek, you post on a forum (20th in the post count) = you're a geek. See how it's subjective..
ok, i apologise to you too...... :D though being an f1 geek - no problem for me, but i guess my perception/definition of a geek is different from yours.

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 10 Nov 2008, 14:35

megasyxx wrote:
blizzard wrote:Have you ever been to school? I think it´s the least part of common education one should have, to know who Stalin was. Maybe not your fault, but I can only sheak my head over such things :hug:
of course i've been :) ....though i really have no idea before who stalin was, all i remember from school were genghis khan, ferdinand magellan, gen.douglas macarthur, emperor akihito....just to name some.

Ok, no problem. Now you know who Stalin was. I couldn´t tell you who Magellan was, although I know this name. I would say he lived around that 1492 era, wasn´t he spaniard?

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 10 Nov 2008, 23:28

blizzard wrote:
megasyxx wrote:

Ok, no problem. Now you know who Stalin was. I couldn´t tell you who Magellan was, although I know this name. I would say he lived around that 1492 era, wasn´t he spaniard?
I believe he was a Portugese explorer, but I may be wrong.