Media War Thread

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
MrPonx
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Media War Thread

Post by MrPonx » 15 Oct 2008, 09:16

The thread for all media quotes said by drivers, pundits and team bosses worthy of discussion..

KIMI SPOKE UP!! 6yrs old >>> Hamilton!!??
Raikkonen said this week: "What Hamilton did at the start at Fuji was not clean. He didn't give me a chance to turn into the corner.

"You have to learn how to find braking points when you are six years old in go karts. Obviously you should know how it goes at this level," the Finn added.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 0635.shtml
Last edited by MrPonx on 15 Oct 2008, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: HAHAHA.. KIMI SPOKE UP!! 6yrs old >>> Hamilton!!??

Post by TwistedArmco » 15 Oct 2008, 09:36

One quote isn't really worthy of a whole topic.

This can be the start of a new thread about the media war, as much as I hate it - because it means that the topic will be more expansive and have a longer life, as such..

ED.: :) I'm good at violating. I wondered if you'd pick up on my sarcastic opening, but I've changed it anyway, now. All openings should be objective and neutral.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

MrPonx
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: Media War Thread

Post by MrPonx » 15 Oct 2008, 11:13

was looking for my thread!! lol ..

I feel violated!!!!

anyway.. Kimi also said it at laaaaast
"Since January I tell you that I give it my best to win the title again. And if I won't win I'll try it again next year. I know how to become a World Champion. Now we're going to China. Let's see what we can do there, where I won last year. Shanghai is a very demanding track and I really like it. Our goal is a one-two win. I'll give it all to help Felipe and the team to gain the results we want."

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 16 Oct 2008, 09:17

"When I said this in Fuji now we have a competitive car it seems we are able to fight with Ferrari and McLaren and first of all we need to have a competitive car here in Shanghai and in Brazil to be fighting with McLaren and Ferrari, and if we do that and Felipe Massa wins the race and I am second or third, I will be happy for Felipe to take as many points as possible and this is the only approach.

Alonso also revealed that while he would be prepared to help Massa, Kubica is the driver he would most like to see become world champion in 2008. You can be here forever, and you cannot misunderstand what I said. When we say all these things, my best relationship is with Robert and I would like to see him win the championship.

But it is quite difficult because the performance of his car means it will be difficult to recover 12 points. But I will do my own job but when you see the results you prefer some teams to win or some teams to win compared to others.

I will not be any key part to the championship, whatever driver wins will win because he did a better job in the last two races. You can take whatever you want from my comment but it is very simple."
Alonso attempts to clarify his Fuji comments.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 16 Oct 2008, 09:21

Hamilton responds. Or rather doesn't.
"I don't particularly have an opinion on it, I focus on my job, if we can be competitive this weekend we will try and get points and be up front great, what the others do is up to them.

They [Renault] have done a fantastic job and great to see them do so well, and see how hard they have worked over the last two years. Not a surprise to see them do so well, sure they will be pushing us hard through the weekend.

From last year I think just keep your head up when things happen and to avoid the gravel trap here!
From last weekend, there were quite a lot of positives I took, I move forward, the team are positive, we make mistakes together as a team and we move on together.

The car is very competitive, we were very quick here last year and should perhaps be more competitive this year with the car we have had, but it will be a very tough weekend, we have to keep pushing away and do the best job we can."

scermat
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by scermat » 16 Oct 2008, 09:27

MrPonx wrote:The thread for all media quotes said by drivers, pundits and team bosses worthy of discussion..

KIMI SPOKE UP!! 6yrs old >>> Hamilton!!??
Raikkonen said this week: "What Hamilton did at the start at Fuji was not clean. He didn't give me a chance to turn into the corner.

"You have to learn how to find braking points when you are six years old in go karts. Obviously you should know how it goes at this level," the Finn added.

since i seem to be using this expression a lot lately, might as well use it one more time.

Classic case of pot calling the kettle black!

FAIL Kimi!

Last edited by scermat on 16 Oct 2008, 09:35, edited 2 times in total.

scermat
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by scermat » 16 Oct 2008, 09:32

TwistedArmco wrote:
"When I said this in Fuji now we have a competitive car it seems we are able to fight with Ferrari and McLaren and first of all we need to have a competitive car here in Shanghai and in Brazil to be fighting with McLaren and Ferrari, and if we do that and Felipe Massa wins the race and I am second or third, I will be happy for Felipe to take as many points as possible and this is the only approach.

Alonso also revealed that while he would be prepared to help Massa, Kubica is the driver he would most like to see become world champion in 2008. You can be here forever, and you cannot misunderstand what I said. When we say all these things, my best relationship is with Robert and I would like to see him win the championship.

But it is quite difficult because the performance of his car means it will be difficult to recover 12 points. But I will do my own job but when you see the results you prefer some teams to win or some teams to win compared to others.

I will not be any key part to the championship, whatever driver wins will win because he did a better job in the last two races. You can take whatever you want from my comment but it is very simple."
Alonso attempts to clarify his Fuji comments.
i am actually baffled right now. i just read this article on autosport that said that "Alonso determined to help Hamilton rivals" and erm, dont see where he really said that apart from that he'd prefer Massa over Lewis and Kubica over both which isnt really a secret.

then Hamilton apparently responds but all he does is say how Renault have done a fantastic job.

is there any good f1 news website!?

anyway, while we're at it, heidfield had his say about the Fuji incident. seems like he cannot be bothered either way the championship goes. guess we should start hating him and calling him arrogant now :p
autosport wrote:Heidfeld wants permanent steward return
By Jonathan Noble Thursday, October 16th 2008, 07:04 GMT

BMW Sauber's Nick Heidfeld wants to see a permanent steward reappointed to oversee penalties in Formula One in the wake of the ongoing controversy about the Japanese Grand Prix.

With the German at a loss to understand why some of the three penalties issued in Fuji were handed out, he admits he now does not understand what actions will be punished and what will not be.

When asked in Shanghai about whether he was worried that from now on any mistakes on track put him at a risk of facing sanction, Heidfeld said: "Until the last race I wasn't, but in the last race I think penalties were not justified.

"I did not see the race in full, I only saw the highlights quickly afterwards, but the one on the start with (Lewis) Hamilton was for me not worth a penalty at all. It is just racing. What did he do (wrong)?

"The other one with (Sebastien) Bourdais was also not understandable. The one that is acceptable, maybe arguable, but you can at least follow what they may be thinking, is the one that (Felipe) Massa got for turning around Hamilton. In my view it does not need to be given, but okay it could be. The other two I don't understand."

Heidfeld felt that the renewed questions about the consistency of stewards' decisions meant it was worth considering reinstating a permanent steward.

Last year, permanent steward Tony-Scott Andrews stood down from his position at the end of the season. That led to a restructuring of the organisation, with FIA president Max Mosley's representative Alan Donnelly providing a permanent advisory function to the three stewards appointed at each event.

Heidfeld said that the matter would likely be brought up in the regular Friday night drivers' briefing with F1 race director Charlie Whiting.

"I am sure it will be asked and discussed what was going on there," explained Heidfeld. "As I have said before and, as we had last year, I would like to see it come back where we have one guy, like Tony Scott-Andrews.

"I was on the receiving side also, I think Bahrain a few years ago I did not agree with (a penalty), but it was a lot more consistent and for me a lot better than what we have had this season.

"The consistency was a lot better last year, and it is easier than if there are just some guys who are coming to a few races. They don't have the insight compared to a guy who is always there.

"It is not that easy to (keep) consistency because each accident is different in each case, but I don't understand what happened there (in Fuji) and I don't even think you (the media) do."
i agree with him on all counts though.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 16 Oct 2008, 09:33

scermat wrote:..FAIL..
Indeed. That is the weakness of pursuing a media war. Everyone's a hypocrite in some small way. Needless to say this thread wasn't my idea, but had to be changed by me so that it wasn't more like an argument about what Kimi said and nothing else. I.e., Fuji thread II.

scermat
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by scermat » 16 Oct 2008, 09:40

yep!!

its easy to forget your mistakes when you're at the recieving end of it. Kimi's done that himself in the space of 2 weeks this year.

so yeah. i will now make a copy of those comments to indulge myself in calling kimi arrogant whenever he beats hamilton :n

kimi and mika
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by kimi and mika » 16 Oct 2008, 15:56

In Germany that wan't completely Kimi's fault, Jacques is partly to blame, so it's a different thing. Really you should talk about Australia, then yep Kimi missed his breaking point, but that's the first time in his (quite long) driving career.

Edit: It's not like Kimi could change tyres like Hamilton did, the exact same thing would have happened to him of he had to do the whole race on a flat-spottd tyre!

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 16 Oct 2008, 17:20

Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone is haunted by theirs. There's no need to defend your guy to the death just because of some pathetic machismo psychological jousting tournament that seems to have gripped the Formula One paddock.

scermat
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by scermat » 16 Oct 2008, 21:24

kimi and mika wrote:In Germany that wan't completely Kimi's fault, Jacques is partly to blame, so it's a different thing. Really you should talk about Australia, then yep Kimi missed his breaking point, but that's the first time in his (quite long) driving career.

Edit: It's not like Kimi could change tyres like Hamilton did, the exact same thing would have happened to him of he had to do the whole race on a flat-spottd tyre!
Excuses Excuses Excuses. i can give you similar reasons on why what Hamilton did wasn't like what Kimi said it was, but i aint gonna bother.

there are always 2 sides to a coin. :D

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 16 Oct 2008, 23:19

If you are a fan of any kind, it's definite at somewhere you'll be upset and angry. Instead if you are a fan of F1 itself, it's very much likely you'll enjoy every second of it. I really don't understand why people want to devote themselves deeply into a person or a team which in turn has nothing to do with them. I mean, Lewis or Kimi won't give a s*** what anybody is talking about themselves here but everybody keeps breaking one's feeling or gets broken and mad for the sake of "supporting". What? Who invented this kind of supporting? One way or another, at the end of the day, the house always wins and we are out of the house. Residents do not want us to get into there but we shout and hit each other in the garden and say "We love you and smash everybody for you." Come on, it's totally insane. We like cars driving around a vicious circle and it's getting very ironic that in the same sense we fall into the same well. "Your team is bad!! No no, it's your team. Haha get out, my team is good." Etc etc etc.

A book named "How to cure a fanatic" by Amas Oz. And a quotation my friend just e-mailed me:

"I think I have invented the remedy for fanaticism. A sense of humour is a great cure. I have never once in my life seen a fanatic with a sense of humour, nor have I seen a person with a sense of humour become a fanatic, unless he or she has lost that sense of humor... As long as you have a sense of humor, you might be partially immune to fanaticism."

Sense of humour can be translated in common sense. I don't care whoever wins cause one has to win it anyway. I seek for entertainment and excitement. No more. Lewis is good, Kimi is good and so does everybody. Lewis makes mistakes, Kimi makes mistakes and so does everybody. Then why? Really why?
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

fclen
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by fclen » 16 Oct 2008, 23:40

Ali wrote:If you are a fan of any kind, it's definite at somewhere you'll be upset and angry. Instead if you are a fan of F1 itself, it's very much likely you'll enjoy every second of it. I really don't understand why people want to devote themselves deeply into a person or a team which in turn has nothing to do with them. I mean, Lewis or Kimi won't give a s*** what anybody is talking about themselves here but everybody keeps breaking one's feeling or gets broken and mad for the sake of "supporting". What? Who invented this kind of supporting? One way or another, at the end of the day, the house always wins and we are out of the house. Residents do not want us to get into there but we shout and hit each other in the garden and say "We love you and smash everybody for you." Come on, it's totally insane. We like cars driving around a vicious circle and it's getting very ironic that in the same sense we fall into the same well. "Your team is bad!! No no, it's your team. Haha get out, my team is good." Etc etc etc.

A book named "How to cure a fanatic" by Amas Oz. And a quotation my friend just e-mailed me:

"I think I have invented the remedy for fanaticism. A sense of humour is a great cure. I have never once in my life seen a fanatic with a sense of humour, nor have I seen a person with a sense of humour become a fanatic, unless he or she has lost that sense of humor... As long as you have a sense of humor, you might be partially immune to fanaticism."

Sense of humour can be translated in common sense. I don't care whoever wins cause one has to win it anyway. I seek for entertainment and excitement. No more. Lewis is good, Kimi is good and so does everybody. Lewis makes mistakes, Kimi makes mistakes and so does everybody. Then why? Really why?
fclen stands up and starts a slow clap...

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 17 Oct 2008, 06:18

In the end the drivers are just humans like we are. As we here might have some controversial opinions and angry emotions after the race, they have too. Either they spill them out or they just stay quiet.

You know, the media isn't really interested on what a forum member from here for instance would say, but when one of the leading F1 drivers says something, it naturally has a different impact. That's why it's better for the drivers to restrain their thoughts, but sometimes they just can't and then these "media wars" emerge.

And after the drivers have said something controversial, the fans try to point out that it's out of context etc and the drivers themselves try to "clarify" their words in official press conferences. Usually they try to pretend to be nice and calm in those occasions so their answers don't really mean anything despite of some reporters trying to heat up an argument like in Thursday's press conference. It's the local papers to which the drivers usually make their opinions clear. And when they say their thoughts, it's there and you can't take it out anymore just by saying that "you misunderstood me" or "it's out of context" because the driver should have thought about it earlier.

Here's again concerning the championship and Hamilton
[u][url=http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/081017072746.shtml]http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/081017072746.shtml[/url][/u] wrote: A British journalist asked him to comment on his admission that, although he did not know what Hamilton had done, he agreed with stewards' decision to penalise him at Fuji Speedway.

"I saw it, I was just behind them," he backtracked in China. "Sometimes what you read in newspapers is wrong."

Alonso then issued a "no comment" to whether he thought Hamilton's recent driving has been dangerous, and when asked if he was jealous of his British rival, he insisted: "I'm very happy."

But not long after leaving the press conference, Alonso made his feelings clear, according to the Spanish broadcaster Telecinco.

"Last year, when the championship was at this stage, everyone said they wanted either me or Kimi to win. This year, all the drivers want Massa to be champion. So I think it is not my problem, it is Hamilton's," Alonso said.
Of course Alonso has said those things. You just can't have that kind of opinions in the official FIA press conferences so you try to evade the questions, but to local papers you can say whatever you want. Alonso likes to make his mind clear. Sometimes it might be a good thing, sometimes not so good.