Reasons why people dislike Lewis Hamilton?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Lightning983
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Re: Reasons why people dislike Lewis Hamilton?

Post by Lightning983 » 22 Sep 2008, 17:44

Fergie1 wrote: Thats hardly is his fault is it?

Not surprised with all the fanboys/biased views we don't have a Massa or Alonso hate thread.
Well i don't really care who's fault it is, but until he drives an entire season in a c**p car, knowing he can't possibly score more than a few points... and STILL talks like he's the king of the world... then i will have at least some respect for him. I won't like him, but i will respect him.... and that is something he really doesn't have right now.

I said i don't like Alonso, but he started in a Minardi... and Massa drove in Sauber... both of them know what its like to be happy just to finish a race...

He really needs to take his arrogance down a notch, stop his 2 faced appearance... and maybe then people will dislike him a bit less.

Lightning983
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Lightning983 » 22 Sep 2008, 17:49

McLaren-F1 wrote:He's succesful driver cuz of that people dislike him that's normal..
He is not really a successful driver, because he has achieved nothing yet... he's just a blip in the F1 stats, and you have to scroll a long way down to even find his name...

He doesn't have a WDC title yet... so i don't really see a reason to have such a high opinion of himself. I don't remember any driver that did?? and you can correct me if i'm wrong.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 22 Sep 2008, 18:12

Fergie1 wrote:Not surprised with all the fanboys/biased views we don't have a Massa or Alonso hate thread.
Don't forget ... your one of us :)
McLaren-F1 wrote:He's succesful driver cuz of that people dislike him that's normal..
Spectators like struggle.Struggle can only be identified by poor result.
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

scermat
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by scermat » 22 Sep 2008, 19:57

Fergie1 wrote:Thats hardly is his fault is it?
It sure as hell is his fault for convincing McLaren to hire him.

hands up those of you who followed Hamilton since his F3 days to know what he can do when his equipment isn't really any better than the others. this whole i wanna see what he does in an equal car is a laughable argument to me. all you have to do is look at his single year in GP2. against experienced competitors. and competitors who had teams built for themselves.

so now Vettel is not a good driver anymore i presume cause he's in a winning car? and Montoya was never a good driver either was he cause he started in a Williams.

Alonso did start at minardi but how old was he again? how much experience did he have in racing? (answer: 2 seasons. won one, 4th in the other. not something a top team finds convincing and in fact they only gave him a test driver role to develop himself at first). only reason he made it up there was because he was good enough and took the opportunity to go in F1 ASAP. turns out it was a good bet for him. look at someone like Christian Klien whom i rate highly. didnt play so well for him. then look at Montoya. why the hell wouldn't he make it to a top team when you run out of breath reading his accomplishments before you reach Formula one.

wanna know what a not so good driver in a decent car can do? see Kimi v Coulthard in 2002. it no use having a good car if you cant get the maximum out of it.

yes he's arrogant. yes he's annoying. especially if you have to go through the ITV Lewis Hamilton torture. but by no means he's not one of the top 3 drivers in F1 today.

scermat
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by scermat » 22 Sep 2008, 20:36

Lightning983 wrote:
He is not really a successful driver, because he has achieved nothing yet... he's just a blip in the F1 stats, and you have to scroll a long way down to even find his name...

He doesn't have a WDC title yet... so i don't really see a reason to have such a high opinion of himself. I don't remember any driver that did?? and you can correct me if i'm wrong.
just so as i wont "offend" anybody... drivers whom i like/don't mind...

"I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's."

guess who. (no, not hamilton) :O

"I'll knock three colours of <manure> out of the little bastard"

"It's kids isn't it?" (Someone... On Vettel)

a'm afraid you need to do some quote research. and these are drivers whom i quite like as i try to be impartial. i can find arrogant quotes by drivers/teams whom i don't like much easier but i dont play that game. (you might not think they are, but they fit the definition of arrogance as much as Hamiltons comments)

Lightning983
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Lightning983 » 23 Sep 2008, 08:13

You ask why i dislike him? Here's some clips from his statement in front of the FIA, that will help me elaborate.
"I have been a racing driver since I was eight years old and I know pretty much every single maneuver in the book, and that's why I'm the best at my job.

"We are talking about a skilled driver under intense pressure making a split-second decision which no-one, not unless they are in Formula One, can comprehend."
Hmm... no smug appearance, or even the slightest hint of arrogance there :roll::
"The last thing I wanted to do is crash into him. When you have gone so far, you want to finish the race.
I guess he didn't feel the same way in Monza...
"We had a great battle and there was no need to take stupid risks, so I had to cut the chicane.
Wrong... you could have done like a couple of other drivers did... you could have done what Kimi did the day before in qually. You could have braked hard, get back in line behind Kimi (although it would be a way back). You could have taken the regular line though the corner, and then you would have probably caught up with Kimi on the straight.

Simple as that, but i guess he knows best because he really does "know every single maneuver in the book", and "no-one, not unless they are in Formula One" can begin to comprehend. :roll::

LAME Lewis... very lame. Like last years McLaren penalty hearing lame.
Take it like a man, and dont be a wuss about it. You got the penalty, now get on with it. Schumacher got a 2 race ban for an even more trivial matter and he got on with it, and won the WDC later that year.

If you were like that i would at least have some respect for you.

Lightning983
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Lightning983 » 23 Sep 2008, 08:23

scermat wrote: just so as i wont "offend" anybody... drivers whom i like/don't mind...

"I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's."
That has to be Senna :D and you can't really say he was a "clean" driver :) I always preferred Prost in that era... he seemed more like the "thinking man's driver" :D
"I'll knock three colours of <manure> out of the little bastard"

"It's kids isn't it?" (Someone... On Vettel)
Okay, you're not really helping your case here :cool:
'cause you don't wanna hear who i think is responsible for that crash :D (hint: he was called with the stewards in the next race)

And that comment wasn't arrogant. It was one of the funniest ones i've heard in F1. Right alongside the famous "a miss is as good as a mile" :D
a'm afraid you need to do some quote research. and these are drivers whom i quite like as i try to be impartial. i can find arrogant quotes by drivers/teams whom i don't like much easier but i dont play that game. (you might not think they are, but they fit the definition of arrogance as much as Hamiltons comments)
I know people who are his fans will jump to defend him. And i would do the same if someone started talking trash about Schumi :)

But i already said. He has that "smug" appearance whenever i see him, and talks about himself and what he has "achieved" like he won a Nobel prize or something... i just don't like people like that.
Not F1 drivers. people like that in general. So i guess that's my problem.

I will say he is a good, even great driver. But not the best, and after he drops down to earth a bit, i will gladly say i like him as a driver.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 23 Sep 2008, 12:12

"It's kids isn't it? They go well for a while and then they _ it up massively"
Mark Webber's full quote..

..Which can be interpreted as being aimed solely at Vettel, or can be interpreted doubly as being at Vettel and Hamilton. After all, Webber was mindful mwhat was ahead of him there..

As for arrogance, some of Senna's quotes seemed to be so OTT to me. Hamilton emulates this. It's called bullishness - "I've been a racing driver since I was 8 years old, and that's why I'm the best at my job.." No, not top 3 scermat.. Hamilton is the best, according to him.

He just has a no-compromise attitude, where he will not accept that he isn't the best and that anyone else deserves to win the title. People like that in real life make me sick. He's not joking, it's just pure over-self-belief.

Alonso is arrogant yes, they all are, but he doesn't say bullishly before every race that he will do the best job, or that he is the best. He speculates realistically about his chances and usually keeps his cards fairly close to his chest, like I would, and usually adds plenty of disclaimers like: "It could all go wrong" or "A good result is possible", which is also something that I would do.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

MP4/4#12
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by MP4/4#12 » 23 Sep 2008, 12:44

One thing for sure: Hamilton`s own words are keeping thid thread alive, maybe that says it all about his character. I already gave my 2cents in here, bt his latest comments are a bit way too much. So the current WORLD CHAMPION has no b*** ?!? At least Kimi won 1 title, Lewis managed to loose one, so.....dunno, i understand some "words war" between drivers, but it was too much i guess, i strongly believe that Kimi will answer him back.......on the track (Finn style). The fact he drove a winning car in 2 seasons doesn`t make him a better/worse driver, the fact is most people don`t like smart a$$e$, so "we" start to wish for more failures from them, and when they happen it`s highly celebrated. I have no doubt he`s great, he will be greater in the future, but he has to learn to shut his mouth from time to time.

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 23 Sep 2008, 12:50

Spot on TwistedArmco.

There is no doubt, that Hamilton is a very good racing driver, but what we as F1 fans notice, he is very arrogant, intolerant towards others and highly narcissistic. And all that at a very young age.
Even though, he hasn´t won anything yet, especially by his own standards.
He sounds like he has won 6 championsghips and 70 races or so.
And even then I wouldn´t like such arrogance.

I think at the bottom of his heart Lewis is a good guy, but his nouveau-rich father, who seems to be one of those " MY kid has to be the best, or I failed" guys and Ron Dennis have poisend him a bit with their arrogance and their believe to be something better than the others.

No doubt, he deserves it as a driver to be champion, and I would grant him that absolutely when I think about the driver. But when I think about his charackter, I would feel sorry, if he would win it this year.

scermat
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by scermat » 23 Sep 2008, 17:32

what you're saying is all subjective. and that was my point.

but now he's not arrogant. he's bullish. give me a break. Alonso's not bullish when he has a good car? they all are. it's part of their job. so massa was neither bullish nor arrogant when he said he feels good to go to monza as the previous race winner?

sorry, if you wanna dislike him, dislike him all you want but dont come say he's the worst person to ever inhabit earth (as some of you are trying to say).

show me a driver who doesnt think he's the best at his job (yes, THE BEST) and i'll show you a driver who's failing. my point isnt to say hamilton's not arrogant. my point is to show you that you're too much obsessed with indulging yourself in hamilton being arrogant/bullish/chav/whatever that you're forgetting other drivers. of course, they're not gonna be bullish when they have a c**p car cause they look like idiots - which is what hamilton needs to learn (he wasn't bullish/arrogant at bahrain cause he knows he messed up). but he's hardly worse than the others.

he may have won nothing yet, but he's achieved more in 1 year than a good number of the drivers did in a lifetime

scermat
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by scermat » 23 Sep 2008, 17:56

Lightning983 wrote:
scermat wrote: just so as i wont "offend" anybody... drivers whom i like/don't mind...

That has to be Senna :D and you can't really say he was a "clean" driver :) I always preferred Prost in that era... he seemed more like the "thinking man's driver" :D
still throws you're theory of lewis being the only arrogant one ever out the window and into the river.

somehow, i happen to like senna. maybe that's why i happen to like lewis as well.

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 23 Sep 2008, 17:59

Hamilton's no angel,and for sure he's a bit full of himself.But imagine this: Your 23,a racing driver,successful,rich beyond your wildest dreams and a famous,marketable face seen the world over.Its impossible to still be the same friendly,grounded person you were when you were younger.Although I don't support him on the track and I hate the stuff that comes with him (The bias,the constant talk about him,the two faced-ness of the British media towards him),I think fundamentally he is a decent person,and anyway you have to think your the best when your challenging for the championship,otherwise you won't win.

alonso5
kart driver
kart driver

Post by alonso5 » 23 Sep 2008, 18:00

Lightning983 wrote:Why i dislike him? Well i was a fan until Hungary last year, and then i finally saw what he's like.

And i always had some drivers i "hated" on the grid... most recent ones would be Hamilton, Alonso & Montoya (there were a lot others in the past)... so he's just the last in line :)

The problem with him is that he's too arrogant considering what he has achieved in F1. I even saw a video posted here of him, when the camera turns away he turns to Kimi and says "I'm taking you down". He is really 2 faced. One for the cameras is all smiles and patting each other on the back and when no one is recording he's himself again.

He also doesn't drive aggressive, he drives dirty. He will literally do anything to score as much as he can, and still think he was right the whole way.

And his best characteristic is that he actually thinks he's better than the F1 greats like Senna or Schumacher...

My only hope is that next year or after that the McLaren sucks so much he has to fight for P14 or lower, and then he will see what's it like to have a car that's can't even score points. Then we'll see if he is so good like he thinks he is.

You can't be a F1 driver if your first 2 F1 drives are in the best car on the grid. If he started in a Minardi or Force India, and driven there for a year i would have some respect for him. This way i do not have any.

spot on Lightning983. He is machiavelli in a racing suit. He showed last year how low he was willing to go to get mclaren on his side after they were fined $100m and banned from the constructors'. In an interview he said 'oh, this impacts me a lot more than alonso because, well I won't say', and then, after about a second of pretending to ponder whether or not to spew his nonstop barrage of nonsense he says 'the team is important to me and alonso doesn't care either way because he's only bothered about himself'.

scermat
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by scermat » 23 Sep 2008, 18:01

TwistedArmco wrote:He just has a no-compromise attitude, where he will not accept that he isn't the best and that anyone else deserves to win the title. People like that in real life make me sick. He's not joking, it's just pure over-self-belief.
seems like to you missed what happened at brazil last year. he was one of the first to go congratulate kimi.

and here is a quote of what he said

"My congratulations to Kimi," he said afterwards. "He did a great championship. He deserves it."

here's a pic too... for good measure

Google it up if you think i'm lying.
swca92 wrote:Hamilton's no angel,and for sure he's a bit full of himself.But imagine this: Your 23,a racing driver,successful,rich beyond your wildest dreams and a famous,marketable face seen the world over.Its impossible to still be the same friendly,grounded person you were when you were younger.Although I don't support him on the track and I hate the stuff that comes with him (The bias,the constant talk about him,the two faced-ness of the British media towards him),I think fundamentally he is a decent person,and anyway you have to think your the best when your challenging for the championship,otherwise you won't win.
you dislike him, and i don't. yet we agree.

re text in bold: deep down i've a feeling that's what makes people dislike him the most. why they try to exagerate stuff is beyond me though. Neither James Allen nor Steve Ryder hosting the Lewis Hamilton show do him any favours. if he doesn't say i'm gonna win they'll find a way to make him.