Vettel
3%

Total votes: 98

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

2008 Formula 1 SingTel Singapore Grand Prix

Post by iceman1 » 17 Sep 2008, 22:21

The Singapore Grand Prix is a Formula One race set to stage its inaugural event on 28 September 2008. To be staged in the Marina Bay area of Singapore, the circuit has been given in-principle approval by the FIA, Fomula One's governing body. The first Formula One Grand Prix in Singapore will also be Formula One's first night race

Prior to the race becoming part of the Formula One calendar, the Singapore Grand Prix was held as a Formula Libre event in the 1960s and 1970s at the Thomson Road circuit.

History
Origins ; First organised in 1961, the race was initially known as the Orient Year Grand Prix The following year, the race was renamed the Malaysian Grand Prix. After Singapore attained its independence in 1965, the race at the Thomson Road circuit was renamed to the Singapore Grand Prix. The event was discontinued after 1973 and a variety of reasons have been suggested, including an increase in traffic, the inconvenience of having to close roads for the event and fatal accidents during the 1972 and 1973 races. It is also thought that a surge of oil prices stemming from the Suez Crisis might have been to blame.

Formula1
Singapore will host a round of the 2008 FIA Formula One World Championship. The race will be the first night-time event in Formula One history. The timing of the night event means it can be broadcast at a convenient time for European TV audiences. The track will be illuminated by a series of projectors which adapt their output to match the shape of the course.

An agreement for a five-year deal was signed by Singapore GP Pte Ltd, the Singapore Tourism Board and Bernie Ecclestone. In November 2007 it was announced that the telecommunications company Singapore Telecommunications (SingTel) will sponsor the event. The official name of the event will be the FORMULA 1 SingTel Singapore Grand Prix. The race will be co-funded by the Government of Singapore, footing 60% of the total bill.

Around 80,000 tickets will be available for the country's first Formula One race. Corporate hospitality suites and packages went on sale at the end November 2007, three-day passes to the public went on sale in December 2007. Single-day passes went on sale in the new year, subject to available inventory.

ImageImage

F1 TIMETABLE

Fri 26 September 2008
Friday Practice 1 19:00 - 20:30
Friday Practice 2 21:30 - 23:00
Sat 27 September 2008
Saturday Practice 19:00 - 20:00
Qualifying 22:00
Sun 28 September 2008
Race 20:00

Pictures:
Spoiler:
Start Finish

Pitlane and start / finish:

Straight and pit exit:

Turns 1&2:

Turn 3:

Turn 5:

Between turns 9 and 10:

Turn 10:

Between turns 13 and 14, in the dark:

Turn 18:

Turn 19:

Turn 22:

Turn 23:

Between turns 23 and 24, alongside the Singapore Flyer:

Turn 24:

Singapore update:

Turn 1:

Grandstand:

Pit-lane:

Start / Finish:
T1 T2 T3 are made only to allow the group to pass there at the start minimizing the risks.
T4 is almost straight.
T5 is an average speed corner and the straight between T4 and T5 is too short to make a pass.
T6 is almost straight
T7 is 90° slow corner, and could probably allow an overtaking
T8 slow 90°
T9 slow corner
T10 T11 slow cornering chicane
T12 T13 a slow chicane
T14 slow 90° corner
T15 another slow boring 90° 2nd gear corner. i dont think you could try a move here cause you came out from the bridge wich is very narrow.
T16 T17 T18 slow boring cornering sequence.
T19 T20 T21 T22 another slow sequend of 2nd gear corners
T23 T24 two 3rd gear corners wich put you thru the end straight

First ever onboard:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5w8-zFDdoE[/youtube]

One Lap in Singapore with Vettel and Webber

http://www.tororosso.com/4th-Sector/Vettel-Singapore/

McLaren is prepared for the night race
http://www.gridcrasher.com/index.php/20 ... grand-prix

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: 2008 Formula 1 SingTel Singapore Grand Prix

Post by Fergie1 » 17 Sep 2008, 22:23

I fear it will be Valencia all over again. But at night instead.

HandoZiZle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by HandoZiZle » 18 Sep 2008, 00:13

Fergie1 wrote:I fear it will be Valencia all over again. But at night instead.
That's exactly what i'm thingking , i walked around the track and street while i was at Singapore 2 months ago and it looks like a fast track but i don't see alot of overtaking on this track (thank you Tilke). BTW Kimi will win...that's right KIMI!!!

syncmaster
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by syncmaster » 18 Sep 2008, 04:21

New paints are going to be used for the soft compound and super wet compound in singapore
Formula1.com wrote:Formula One tyre suppliers Bridgestone will use special reflective paint to mark their super-soft and extreme-wet compounds at the forthcoming Singapore Grand Prix, the first Formula One race to be staged after dark.
Desire has no limits

Arrows_F1
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Arrows_F1 » 18 Sep 2008, 18:15

I hope for rain, because i fear it will be like the Valencia race. however, if it rains the race will be a real challenge for the driver. think about how bad the view is during afternoon and now imagine it at night!!!

Alonsa
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Alonsa » 18 Sep 2008, 18:43

Thanks for the post, lots of pictures !

And I also fear a boring race :pout: ... I don't know if I could hope for rain for this GP cause it could be too dangerous, don't know yet.

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 18 Sep 2008, 18:55

well i think this track will allow some overtaking moves unlike valencia.

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 18 Sep 2008, 19:17

Wow, that Toro Rosso Video is awesome!! Best GP Preview I´ve ever seen, like it´s been made as introduction for a Hollywood movie, Driven 2 or somezhing like that :)

The pics you´ve posted iceman1 look great. It looks like the runoff areas are much smaller than in Valencia and also the layout looks better than Valencia. More like an American street circuit. Valencia was aerodynamically too demanding. More 90 degree turns should do better, hopefully.

I hope and expect it to be much better than Valencia, but please no rain, we´ve had enough and Fuji is still to come :)

Anyway I´m looking forward to it. Definetly something special, first night race in history and that Singapoore harbour area looks tremendous.

I make an optimistic statement: After the race, Valencia will be jealous as hell, because of the great spectacle we´ll see at Singapoore :)

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 18 Sep 2008, 19:47

Fergie1 wrote:I fear it will be Valencia all over again. But at night instead.
not if it rains....i hope it will be a dry-wet race (or even wet-dry race would do nicely) :D

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 18 Sep 2008, 19:50

You know it could be a complete farce. maybe an early red-flag, or calling it off if there's too much rain..
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

hannibal_rising
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by hannibal_rising » 18 Sep 2008, 20:07

shail69 wrote:well i think this track will allow some overtaking moves unlike valencia.

There is a couple of videos on youtube that simulate a lap in this circuit, and there is maybe just one point where there may be overtaking, that I think is even shorter than the tunnel in Montecarlo. The rest of the circuit doesn't give you much chances... Everything is too short... Here the quali will define most of the race... Maybe there will be more action, because you have to take more risks to overtake...

I just hope it won't be so boring as valencia... :sad:

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 18 Sep 2008, 20:22

hannibal_rising wrote:
shail69 wrote:well i think this track will allow some overtaking moves unlike valencia.

There is a couple of videos on youtube that simulate a lap in this circuit, and there is maybe just one point where there may be overtaking, that I think is even shorter than the tunnel in Montecarlo. The rest of the circuit doesn't give you much chances... Everything is too short... Here the quali will define most of the race... Maybe there will be more action, because you have to take more risks to overtake...

I just hope it won't be so boring as valencia... :sad:
i believe the last and the first corner will be the places to look out for in case of overtaking.

RoCkSt@R
car driver
car driver

Post by RoCkSt@R » 18 Sep 2008, 20:49

I'm really exited and looking forward to this race, especially if it rains - which the most forecasts predict it will be - it will be really interesting.

Only 4 races to go, Kimi unfortunately his chances are kinda impossible now, but you never know what is going to happen in Formula 1.

Ferrari though they should get there act together if they want to win the Constructors Championship and to grant Massa the wins, the next four races are very common with rain, and from what we saw so far - unfortunately - the F2008 is not a banger when it comes to wet tracks especially compares to McLaren's.
I hope that the Ferrari's "Private" test taken place in Mugello and Fiorano will give them some answers regarding what it going on with this chassis and set-up that is really screwing there pace to much.

I still believe that Kimi is a great driver and he deserves to be crowned again, unluckily the circumstances played against him and was played the harshest way possible.

That's said, I'm still really looking for the next race and the rest of the championship, it will an interesting ride :)

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 18 Sep 2008, 20:52

I don't think rain will be a massive problem really as it will be like daylight but replace the sun with loads of lights at the side.

Lightning983
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Lightning983 » 18 Sep 2008, 20:54

Cool pics and vids :)

I don't know what to expect, only that when i saw the track layout one thing came to mind "Valencia By Night" :D but i see a lot of people thought that...

Here's hoping to a great GP, and maybe finally in like a month we'll see a DRY race :)
Never thought i'd hear myself say that :D