Where do you or your family hail from?

For all other topics which don't fit into other categories
swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Where do you or your family hail from?

Post by swca92 » 14 Sep 2008, 19:22

Got the idea for this thread from a few things said on the Italian Grand Prix thread,and this should be genuinely interesting.Also there's a fairly popular TV show in Britain where so called "Celebrities" go back to look at their heritage.To start things off,my family hail from Ireland on both my Mum and Dad's sides of my family,while I must have some Welsh blood going back a couple of centuries as my Mother's surname is Williams.Also I know I have a great-great-great German granddad.I'm sure others just as,and more confusing family histories than mine.

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Where do you or your family hail from?

Post by maltafan » 14 Sep 2008, 20:49

swca92 wrote:Got the idea for this thread from a few things said on the Italian Grand Prix thread,and this should be genuinely interesting.Also there's a fairly popular TV show in Britain where so called "Celebrities" go back to look at their heritage.To start things off,my family hail from Ireland on both my Mum and Dad's sides of my family,while I must have some Welsh blood going back a couple of centuries as my Mother's surname is Williams.Also I know I have a great-great-great German granddad.I'm sure others just as,and more confusing family histories than mine.
Well, a couple of days ago we discovered that Britney Spears' great grand dad was from Malta. Something not to be proud of!!.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 14 Sep 2008, 21:03

My family are on one side almost exclusively rural on one side, all hailing from Suffolk and Norfolk. The other side is less clear. Lots of Yorkshire, probably some Viking blood.

As for actually tracing my ancestors, well.. We've never done it on the Yorkshire side, but the Suffolk side is just confusing. My Great Gran was one of 8, as was my Nan. so I have lots of half-cousins and so on who I never see.

EDIT: Don't ANYONE say inbred.. That's Norfolk. My family primarily come from Suffolk.

Here is my Great-Great-Granddad, George Turner, born 1874, died 1916 (not in the war):

Dunno what relation he down below is to me, possibly Great-Great-Great Granddad. He was called Thomas Turner, and was born in 1851, and died in 1934, 3 miles from where he was born:

No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 14 Sep 2008, 21:25

Big Bang, quarks, photons, nuclei, atoms, aminoacids, formaldehydrates, carbons, fishes, mammals and neanderthals. These are my family and me.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 15 Sep 2008, 14:12

Ali wrote:Big Bang, quarks, photons, nuclei, atoms, aminoacids, formaldehydrates, carbons, fishes, mammals and neanderthals. These are my family and me.
You're such a scientist!! All the time.. :p

Ok, answer these:

1) Are you mainly ethnically Turkish?
2) Do you have any other known ethnicity in your family?
3) Have you traced your family?

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 15 Sep 2008, 14:28

TwistedArmco wrote:
Ali wrote:Big Bang, quarks, photons, nuclei, atoms, aminoacids, formaldehydrates, carbons, fishes, mammals and neanderthals. These are my family and me.
You're such a scientist!! All the time.. :p

Ok, answer these:

No, not all the time but when it matters :) Btw, I really like your attitude, way of exressing opinions (especially self-criticised on your country and not being so biased about your nationality) and sense of humour. I feel like you're my unmet friend in a far far away country just like Khodr. Very glad to meet you :wave:

Well into your question, I was born in Turkey thus making me Turkish. I've never investigated the roots of my family. I didn't feel any need. So, I assume we are all Turkish (not the whole world, just my family). Instead, I have been studying and researching the roots and trace of our universe and world themselves, which I find more meaningful.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 15 Sep 2008, 15:22

Ali wrote:
TwistedArmco wrote: You're such a scientist!! All the time.. :p

Ok, answer these:

No, not all the time but when it matters :) Btw, I really like your attitude, way of exressing opinions (especially self-criticised on your country and not being so biased about your nationality) and sense of humour. I feel like you're my unmet friend in a far far away country just like Khodr. Very glad to meet you :wave:

Well into your question, I was born in Turkey thus making me Turkish. I've never investigated the roots of my family. I didn't feel any need. So, I assume we are all Turkish (not the whole world, just my family). Instead, I have been studying and researching the roots and trace of our universe and world themselves, which I find more meaningful.
Thanks matey for the compliment. Yes, I could tell from your rhetoric on politics and communism that you were thoughtful and interested in stuff like I am. And that's cool - whatever is meaningful to you, follow it. That whole Cern thing is kind cool, because it's kind of like a hermitage or something - loads of scientists just down there, chasing scientific exploration. I was mainly joking about imminent death.. I just put my lack of deep knowledge of science down to uninteresting and dispassionate science teachers.

I've got this weird thing between music and History and story - History is stories of life, and good music is about stories of life, and makes me feel alive, as does History or a really good story, even if it's dark or sarcastic, as does life, both social and alone (in thought mode, or walking, although I'm in Britain, and you're hardly ever more than a half-mile away from someone).

As for my family, and my interest in that, I think that my lack of patriotism needs to be substitued with other stuff. I like to "belong". Like in this forum, but also ethnically, in the grand scheme of things. So my mum and me traced my family on my mum's side, although another relation had basically done it for us already.

Which is why I am so intrigued by Thomas and George Turner up there ^, because I want to know what I belong to, and what made me me, beyond cells and atoms. And therefore who I am, which link I belong to in the great scheme/story that is History.

:thumbsup: That took me 20 minutes to find those words. 5 of those were spent making a cup of coffee..

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 15 Sep 2008, 16:21

TwistedArmco wrote: Thanks matey for the compliment. Yes, I could tell from your rhetoric on politics and communism that you were thoughtful and interested in stuff like I am. And that's cool - whatever is meaningful to you, follow it. That whole Cern thing is kind cool, because it's kind of like a hermitage or something - loads of scientists just down there, chasing scientific exploration. I was mainly joking about imminent death.. I just put my lack of deep knowledge of science down to uninteresting and dispassionate science teachers.

I've got this weird thing between music and History and story - History is stories of life, and good music is about stories of life, and makes me feel alive, as does History or a really good story, even if it's dark or sarcastic, as does life, both social and alone (in thought mode, or walking, although I'm in Britain, and you're hardly ever more than a half-mile away from someone).

As for my family, and my interest in that, I think that my lack of patriotism needs to be substitued with other stuff. I like to "belong". Like in this forum, but also ethnically, in the grand scheme of things. So my mum and me traced my family on my mum's side, although another relation had basically done it for us already.

Which is why I am so intrigued by Thomas and George Turner up there ^, because I want to know what I belong to, and what made me me, beyond cells and atoms. And therefore who I am, which link I belong to in the great scheme/story that is History.

:thumbsup: That took me 20 minutes to find those words. 5 of those were spent making a cup of coffee..
Don't get me wrong, I do not condemn you or anyone. Your reasoning why you want to trace you family and roots of course mean something such that to belong something or someone means that you are/will be safe. We both want to get the same feeling but via different ways.

There is this advertisement broadcasted on ITV, which I really really love, saying: "I am who I am because of everyone." That quotation may well and truly explain how I feel about family roots and pedigree or human beings in general. In other words, you are also my brother :)

Bon appétit :thumbsup:

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 15 Sep 2008, 16:44

Ali wrote: There is this advertisement broadcasted on ITV, which I really really love, saying: "I am who I am because of everyone."
yeah, thats good. Its from Orange, the phone company.

Alonsa
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Alonsa » 15 Sep 2008, 19:39

I don't really know a lot of things about my deep origins because my grand-mother died last year without letting us know...

One thing that is sure, It's that I have Italian blood from my two parents (my two grand-fathers were born in Italy and they came in France to escape war) and I know what you're thinking lol "And she doesn't support Ferrari ?" I'm kidding but many people asked me why I support Renault and not Ferrari as I have Italian origins, the point isn't here anyway... I support Renault cause I prefere that team, that's it lol

And I may have English or American origins from my grand-mother (from my Dad's side) because her own mother was named Nelly and this wasn't a name that was given in France (and it's still not) ; so with this name that sounds pretty British or US I don't know which one exactly, I'm kinda sure to also have anglo-saxons origins... Maybe I'll know more one day, I hope !

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 15 Sep 2008, 21:46

Ali wrote: Don't get me wrong, I do not condemn you or anyone..
I didn't assume that you did. You said that you preferred science and life's/universe's origins, and so I assumed that you meant you preferred it, but didn't distrust or condemn ancestory..
Ali wrote:There is this advertisement broadcasted on ITV, which I really really love, saying: "I am who I am because of everyone." That quotation may well and truly explain how I feel about family roots and pedigree or human beings in general. In other words, you are also my brother :)

Bon appétit :thumbsup:
One brother of 6.72 billion siblings! :) But a brother nonetheless.

And yeah, I love that advert! The original, not the cycling one, although that's also good. But the expressions of all of the people in the original one are so perfectly timed and intriguing - it's like a little story of it's own.

If indeed, Thomas up there ^ is my great-great-great grandfather, by my flawed and basic maths he provided a 16th of my mother's gene pool, (probably watered down through time a bit, but hey), and therefore 1/32nd of mine. He looks genial and satisfied. So he must have been watered down quite a bit, but his experiences shaped me and my immediate ancestory, indeed, and that makes me feel like I belong. And that, really, is the best way I can describe it. :)

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 15 Sep 2008, 22:01

TwistedArmco wrote:If indeed, Thomas up there ^ is my great-great-great grandfather, by my flawed and basic maths he provided a 16th of my mother's gene pool, (probably watered down through time a bit, but hey), and therefore 1/32nd of mine. He looks genial and satisfied. So he must have been watered down quite a bit, but his experiences shaped me and my immediate ancestory, indeed, and that makes me feel like I belong. And that, really, is the best way I can describe it. :)
Looking at your maths and genetic crossing calculations, I can say you're really on it. It's like solving a puzzle of your own, I guess. I think there are some interesting points of this issue in that your experience will also shape your kids and heirs. I think you should leave some "white pebbles" behind you so that they can trace easily. How? Well, I don't know, it's upto you :)

Did you search any trails in your pedigree of Stalin? Seriously?

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 15 Sep 2008, 22:39

Ali wrote:
TwistedArmco wrote:If indeed, Thomas up there ^ is my great-great-great grandfather, by my flawed and basic maths he provided a 16th of my mother's gene pool, (probably watered down through time a bit, but hey), and therefore 1/32nd of mine. He looks genial and satisfied. So he must have been watered down quite a bit, but his experiences shaped me and my immediate ancestory, indeed, and that makes me feel like I belong. And that, really, is the best way I can describe it. :)
Looking at your maths and genetic crossing calculations, I can say you're really on it. It's like solving a puzzle of your own, I guess. I think there are some interesting points of this issue in that your experience will also shape your kids and heirs. I think you should leave some "white pebbles" behind you so that they can trace easily. How? Well, I don't know, it's upto you :)

Did you search any trails in your pedigree of Stalin? Seriously?
Hah, no. None of my family seems to be Russian after 1840 at least. And I have a soft spot for cats. I'm sure Stalin didn't have that.. :)

ric.rios
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by ric.rios » 16 Sep 2008, 01:31

My family are from Italy and Portugal.
Barrichello: 300 GP's
"Turbinado no pé, imbatível na fé, brasileiro é que é."