2008/2009 A1 Grand Prix-Season

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
coup
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: 2008/2009 A1 Grand Prix-Season

Post by coup » 22 Aug 2008, 07:05

start of the season is being delayed-
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/69927

Arrows_F1
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Arrows_F1 » 22 Aug 2008, 08:51

just read the bad news :sad:

it seems that they have dropped Mugello and now the season will start in Zandvoort on the 5th October

raikkonen4ever
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by raikkonen4ever » 03 Sep 2008, 04:08

A1 Team Monaco joins A1GP

Friday, August 29, 2008

The Principality of Monaco is famous worldwide for its racing heritage, so A1GP World Cup of Motorsport is delighted to announce A1 Team Monaco will be competing in the series in Season Four.
Not only will the red and white colours of the Monaco flag adorn the car, but the venture also has the personal blessing of His Serene Highness, Prince Albert II of Monaco.

The team will be headed by joint seat holders, Clivio Piccione and Hubertus Bahlsen. A former F3 and GP2 race winner, Piccione will take on the dual role of being the race driver as well as seat holder. The 24-year-old Monegasque has enjoyed the patronage of Prince Albert II throughout his career, and also has the support for this venture from the Monaco Government and the President of the “Conseil National”.

“I am very proud to have been able to put this project together and I believe this new enterprise will bring a lot of excitement and glory to our country,” says Piccione. “It is a unique situation to be able to take on these two roles. I believe it is a great asset for me not just to be the driver, but to also have a real involvement within the team structure. I am really looking forward to racing for my country in the new A1GP Powered by Ferrari car.”

Monaco resident Bahlsen, from Switzerland, races his own personal collection of historic Formula 1 cars, winning his group in the 2005 FIA Historic Formula One series.

“Linking A1GP’s unique race format - being the World Cup of Motorsport - with Monaco’s heritage in motor racing is a thrilling opportunity,” says Bahlsen.

“I am looking forward to making this partnership successful, both with Clivio and Monegasque supporters as well as with A1GP.”

The team will be run on a day-to-day basis by its team principal, Graham Taylor. The Briton, from Gloucester, has worked in the sport for 21-years, and has engineering and management experience from Formula 1 to Touring Cars.

A1GP Chairman, Tony Teixeira, is particularly delighted to welcome this new team.

“No doubt Monaco represents the smallest population of any of our national teams, but in terms of a worldwide reach there are fewer places that are better known,” said Teixeira.

“Our aim in A1GP was to be a truly global series and each year we welcome new teams that help us in this. We are very proud that a principality with such strong ties with the sport has chosen to become part of A1GP.”

Source : A1GP.com

raikkonen4ever
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by raikkonen4ever » 03 Sep 2008, 04:32

Streets ahead in Indonesia

Friday, August 29, 2008

Plans have been revealed for the street circuit which will be the venue for A1GP World Cup of Motorsport’s return to Indonesia.
Lippo Village, near Jakarta will host the series’ only street race of the season, A1GP Jakarta, Indonesia, on 6 – 8 February 2009.

This will be the first time Indonesia has seen a street race of this scale. It will be held in the downtown area of Lippo Village, which was formerly known as Lippo Karawaci.

“This is a very exciting occasion not just for Lippo Village, but also Indonesia as a whole,” said Gordon Benton, senior executive from PT. Lippo Karawaci Tbk.

“Lippo wanted to bring a top international event to Indonesia like A1GP World Cup of Motorsport, and we are working very closely with the Ikatan Motor Indonesia (IMI), the Ministry of Youth & Sport and rights holder Carbon Worldwide to make this event the pinnacle stop on the A1GP calendar for years to come.”

David Clare, CEO Asia Pacific, A1GP World Cup of Motorsport, is delighted that the series is returning to Indonesia.

“Season Four will mark our third visit to the country which always draws a strong and passionate fan base in support of A1 Team Indonesia,” he said. “This race will be of great interest to the world’s motorsport fraternity, as Indonesia will be part of a select group of nations capable of hosting a street circuit. Lippo Village will now join venues like Surfers Paradise, Monaco, Melbourne, Long Beach and also Singapore,”

Lippo Village will be modifying parts of the town near the famous Pelita Harapan University (UPH). The track is being designed by Tilke Gmbh, the company responsible for other circuits where A1GP has raced, such as Shanghai and Sepang.

“The track designers have conducted the initial site visit, and are currently completing the final design,” added Benton. “We intend for the track to be of the highest quality and through good planning, offer minimal disruption to our residents and commercial enterprises.”

Source : A1GP.com

nelmesy16
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by nelmesy16 » 04 Sep 2008, 00:50

cant wait for the new season. when does pre season testing start?

Thailand are trying to put in a team for this season or possibly the next season.

Thailand is in a good position to participate in the A1 GP as a host and competing team, according to a high-ranking A1 official. Asia-Pacific A1 executive David Clare is planning to put on a demonstration run with a 570 horsepower A1 machine on the streets of Bangkok later this year.

Racer Chawakij Boughey, 24, is creating a Thailand team to participate in the 2008-2009 season.

A budget of around B132m is being sought to cover the first season's operation expenses.

Twenty-three nations compete against each other in A1 using equal cars with the same finances.

Motoring speaks to David Clare, A1 GP CEO for Asia-Pacific on the possibility of Thailand joining the series

- Why do you think Thailand should have an A1 team and/or hold a race?

We hope to be part of motorsport development in this country. Thailand is ideal to hold a race as A1 GP is a winter series which, climatically suits countries around the equator more. Also, because Thailand has a long culture and passion for racing (since the time the late Prince Bira beat some of the best European Grand Prix drivers in the late 1930's).

A1 GP makes it possible for countries to compete on equal terms just as in football you have the same size goal and ball. The (A1) cars are sophisticated but technologically impossible for many drivers and it's not a technological warfare with big budget like in F1. In A1 you have a country such as Pakistan and China to compete against the like of USA.

- What kind of support are you getting from Thailand?

Very positive, that's why I am here to see for myself. We're not only here to develop the market but to help educate and develop motorsport as whole in this region. A1 covers 80% of the world's population. We are looking to do a race here in Thailand but first you'd need to have a team, see how it goes for 1-2 years to gauge the interest before putting on a race event. The race can be held on either a temporary street circuit or a permanent circuit.

As commitment to developing the sport in Asia-Pacific, we'll be setting up a regional office that will look after the market all the way from Pakistan to Japan to New Zealand.

- Can the Bira Circuit host an A1 race?

I have not seen the circuit in person but as far as I know is that the circuit may just be too short. A1 needs a track of at least 3.2km long.

- How long does a country need to commit to do a team?

Five years is our standard term.

- Why should Thailand invest in doing A1 as opposed to doing any other motorsport?

The profile of the country is probably best served through sport rather than an individual team. Immediately, Thailand would get recognition. It's not just paying to go racing, but it's about sport, entertainment and countries competing with each other in a friendly environment. As a perspective; people would not necessarily go see a football league match, but they would go to cheer the national team competing against a rival country. It's much bigger than just funding a race team.

- Will we see A1 Team Thailand next year?

There's no reason why Thailand can't have an A1 team _ both from the operational and commercial perspective. It's really just getting the mix right, but I can't say when.

(Quelle: bangkokpost.com)

I really hope Thailand can make a team as i have lived in Thailand for 3 years, so i make it my 2nd country hehe.

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 04 Sep 2008, 15:40

I don't like the way the season has been delayed.I can't see it being simply because the car was built late and Mugello isn't suitable,I think there must be other issues involved.Surely they can get another circuit for the date the season was supposed to start.I hope AIGP isn't going the same way as GP Masters,though I can't see it lasting for that much longer.

Arrows_F1
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Arrows_F1 » 04 Sep 2008, 15:54

I want so much that the series keeps going. I like it so much, and it's a good way to get through the winter time without F1. But I think it will last some years at least. If they would know their end is coming they wouldn't have changed so much things for the new season...

nelmesy16
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by nelmesy16 » 06 Sep 2008, 11:10

a1gp wont ever leave now because it's growing and growing!

coup
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by coup » 07 Sep 2008, 06:54

Flag:## long live A1GP! Flag:##

nelmesy16
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by nelmesy16 » 09 Sep 2008, 06:02

when is pre-season testing?

waiting for antunes to get in the new a1gp aus car! :)

coup
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by coup » 09 Sep 2008, 06:48

there's supposed to be one starting today until the 11th at donnington park

nelmesy16
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by nelmesy16 » 09 Sep 2008, 06:51

oh awesome! any live timing?

Arrows_F1
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Arrows_F1 » 09 Sep 2008, 14:23

there will be also tests at Snetterton (I don't really where that is) at 23/24 September and on 1st October.

NEWSFLASH:
Round 10 will be held at Brands Hatch and Mugello race won't be held at any time this season.

EDIT: I added the new information on the race calender on page1 :thumbsup:

nelmesy16
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by nelmesy16 » 10 Sep 2008, 12:09

Team Malaysia was the fastest team by the way after day 1.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 19 Sep 2008, 05:43

A1GP.com wrote:India shows off new livery
Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A1 Team India has revealed the livery that it will use for the 2008/09 season.

Rather than the sky blue and white design used last season, when it captured its first two wins in A1GP World Cup of Motorsport, the design uses a more distinctive combination of its sporting colours, classic Indian blue and cyan.

The team launched the design at a special ceremony in New Delhi today, when it confirmed that Narain Karthikeyan would again be the team’s main driver.

The first round of the new season will take place on October 5 at Zandvoort.
a1gp.com wrote: Portugal's radical new livery
Thursday, September 18, 2008

A1 Team Portugal is going green this season – literally.

The team has just unveiled its radical new livery for the 2008/09 season, which is a big departure from its previous white and red-based efforts.

This artist’s impression of the new design shows it in all of its glory – and it is an impressive all green-based affair, matching the green and red of the Portuguese flag. The team will wear red race suits.

Filipe Albuquerque, announced in June as the team’s main driver, will have the privilege of racing the car this season.

The first round of the new season is at Zandvoort on 5 October, 2008.
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO