Continuity of FIA penalties

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

Has F1 officialdom been consistent, particularly this year?

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 37

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Continuity of FIA penalties

Post by megasyxx » 08 Sep 2008, 16:28

joostlamers wrote:It is really ridiculous that they didn't punish Massa, because some one in GP2 did exactly the same, and got a drive through for it!! It really is unfair, the way it is going at this moment :(
is that regarding the pit lane incident @ valencia?

teahouse
kart driver
kart driver

Post by teahouse » 08 Sep 2008, 16:42

PLEASE READ AGAIN: Second penalty he is got was after the crash in Canada...Now to have the penalty there he has crashed virtually against 2 other car (because also Kubica was dodged for mm) at the exit of pit lane with red light and under safety car....Penalty was 10 place only ..,ruin other people cost him 10 place on next race only....This is to compare with what people have said about Massa in Valencia...(where there was no safety car...no red light at the exit of the pit...no gainging from a real competitors....but just a lapped Force india...and if penalty should have been issue eventually should have gone to the team for early release)

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 08 Sep 2008, 16:42

lets assess this...:

Malaysia: Both McLarens given a 5 place grid penalty for blocking in quali. Fair decision
Monaco: Raikkonen gets a drive through for not having his tyres ready 3 minutes before the start. Fair decision
France: Lewis given a 10 place penalty for the grid. Fair decision
Heikki given a 5 place penalty for blocking webber in Q1. webber makes it through though. Unfair decision.
Lewis given a drive through after Vettel does not concede the place when lewis is passed. Unfair, but debatable decision.
Europe: Massa only given a fine for the pit lane incident. Debatable decision.
Spa: Heikki given a drive through for hitting Webber. Fair decision
Hamilton stripped of victory for that pass. Unfair decision

So as you can see, between the two leading teams, most penalties seem to head in the way of McLaren, some of them unfair. So from this evidence it is clear to see why the continuity of penalties seems debatable. And ive only used 2008 as an example...

teahouse
kart driver
kart driver

Post by teahouse » 08 Sep 2008, 16:45

yes because in 2007 lewis should have been penalized at least 3 times a never happen.............no even at nurburgring....when he was put back by a TRACTOR

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 08 Sep 2008, 16:47

name those 3 times please. and give evidence. And who thinks a tractor is dangerous to put lewis back on (now banned i know), when a certain M.Schumacher used 3 or 4 marshals to push him out of vulnerable positions!

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 08 Sep 2008, 16:51

i think what teahouse means is the TRACTOR, the blocking incident @ hungary and the spy gate, @ phil :) :) :) :) :)

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 08 Sep 2008, 16:52

phil1993 wrote:name those 3 times please. and give evidence. And who thinks a tractor is dangerous to put lewis back on (now banned i know), when a certain M.Schumacher used 3 or 4 marshals to push him out of vulnerable positions!
He is exaggerating. There is only one real time when Lewis escaped from officialdom in 2007 (i.e. Fuji, refer to the Sporting code regarding safety car procedure, Ham was clearly in breach of that), and one time where he directly benefited from it (Hungary - was that fair?).

Oh yeah, and I reckon he double moved in Monza in front of Massa, but there was no uproar about that one, so probably not even worth considering.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 08 Sep 2008, 16:56

as is formula 1 - inconsistent regulations :)

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 08 Sep 2008, 17:01

I thought I'd make this list of judgements for Ferrari.I'm not saying the FIA are biased,these are facts:

1994:Ferrari are accused of using illegal electronic aids with their engine/throttle system. Found to have the technology but were only warned,with no penalty.
1997:After "Jerez Gate",Schumi is found to have deliberately forces Villeneuve off the track,but is only punished with a fine and having his 2nd in the championship removed.
1998:After Ferrari complain to the FIA,rivals McLaren are forced to remove a special braking system.
1999:In the 1999 Malaysian GP,the Ferraris finish 1-2,but are found after the race to have illegal bargeboards.They are disqualified,but later re-instated.
2000:Mercedes are forced to remove a metal used in the construction of their engines,which had given them an advantage.
2003:Ferrari complain to the FIA about the tread width of the Michelin tyres,and Michelin are forced to change their tyres.
2006:At Monza,Alonso accused of blocking Massa,despite 1km ahead of him.Alonso demoted from 5th to 10th on the grid.Renault forced to remove a mass damper system they'd used for years previously.
2007:After qualifying in Hungary,Alonso demoted from 1st to 6th on the grid.
2008:McLaren given blocking penalties in Malaysia and France.Hamilton given 10 place grid penalty for Montreal pile-up.Raikkonen and Massa not punished for infringements at Monaco and Valencia.Then at Spa...

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 08 Sep 2008, 17:05

seems that Ferrari always get let off, that 2003 one was outrageous as i remember as was 2006

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 08 Sep 2008, 17:20

some interesting points @ swca92....but the 1999 malaysia incident is the one that's really something else. mika's pace was way off the ferrari's, i dunno if he was really that slow, or the ferrari's were really quick or was it because of those bargeboards. and what about during the 2003 season? were sauber back then on michelins? if not, how would ferrari know as regards the tire width coz they were on bridgestones, right?

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 08 Sep 2008, 17:31

Sauber weren't on Michelins in 2003.Ferrari,BAR,Sauber,Jordan and Ferrari were on Bridgestones that season.Bridgestones took some photographs which allegedly proved Michelin were breaking the rules,showed it to Ferrari,who then showed it to the FIA.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 08 Sep 2008, 17:35

i see, thanks for the info.....(as for michelin tyres - thanks for the memories!) :D

scermat
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by scermat » 08 Sep 2008, 17:45

swca92 wrote:Sauber weren't on Michelins in 2003.Ferrari,BAR,Sauber,Jordan and Ferrari were on Bridgestones that season.Bridgestones took some photographs which allegedly proved Michelin were breaking the rules,showed it to Ferrari,who then showed it to the FIA.
i seem to remember it was more sublime than that. the Michelins would deform by use and get wider or something? but when they were new they were 100% legal iirc.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 08 Sep 2008, 18:40

Breaking News! Massa's Belgian Win in doubt...... :) just kidding of course!!!

Some news regarding Massa;

FIA to check Massa's Spa engine

As part of the official process of checking sample powerplants from each of the six engine manufacturers, the FIA is to investigate the engine Felipe Massa used at the weekend. The technical briefing issue at the end of the Belgian GP weekend, included the following announcement: The engine of car number 02 is kept sealed in order to carry out further checks according to Article 5 of the 2008 FIA Formula One Technical Regulations. These checks will be done before the Italian GP. The Ferrari powerplant is the second to be investigated by the FIA, the first being the unit used by Lewis Hamilton in the German GP. Although the FIA has made no secret of its intention to randomly check all engines to ensure that they fully comply with the current regulations, most notably the freeze on all engine development, the fact that the unit was selected first led to a field day for conspiracy theorists.