Buemi and/or Sato at Toro Rosso for 2009 ??

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Arrows_F1
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Buemi and/or Sato at Toro Rosso for 2009 ??

Post by Arrows_F1 » 02 Sep 2008, 19:35

Formula1.com wrote:GP2 driver Sebastien Buemi and former Super Aguri racer Takuma Sato are to test for Toro Rosso at a multi-team test session later this month, as the Italian squad continue to ponder their 2009 line-up. Buemi and Sato will be in action behind the wheel of the STR3 at the Spanish circuit of Jerez following the Italian Grand Prix.

“The time has come to try and find a suitable replacement for Sebastian Vettel, who is joining Red Bull Racing next year,” explained Toro Rosso team principal Franz Tost. “The Jerez test, the last one of the season, will give us an opportunity to evaluate Buemi and Sato at the same time, as they are both possible candidates for a 2009 seat.

“Buemi is an obvious candidate, because not only is he already part of the Red Bull family, he is currently performing well in the GP2 series. As for Sato, he has proved worthy of a place in Formula One and would be a good fit with the Red Bull spirit, while his recent F1 experience would be undoubtedly valuable to our team.”

Nineteen year-old Buemi has advanced through the Red Bull junior driver programme and is test and reserve driver for Toro Rosso's sister team Red Bull Racing. The Swiss driver is currently lying fifth in the GP2 championship and has four GP2 victories to his name.

Sato, meanwhile, is Japan’s most successful racing driver. The 31 year-old has competed in 91 Grands Prix, his best result being a third place finish at the 2004 United States Grand Prix. Sato first made the headlines when he won the hotly contested British Formula Three championship in 2001, before joining the Jordan Formula One team the following year. Three years with BAR Honda followed that, before he joined Super Aguri in 2006. He stayed with the team until it pulled out of the sport after this year’s Spanish race.

"I am delighted to be given this opportunity to get back behind the wheel of a Formula One car, after my season was cut short following the Spanish Grand Prix,” added Sato. “It will be especially interesting working with a team that has made so much progress over the course of the year."

Buemi will take charge of the STR3 on September 17, before handing the Toro Rosso over to Sato on the following day.
What do you think ?, Will anyone of them have a race seat at Toro Rosso next year ?

I would maybe guess that Buemi will be alongside Bruno Senna for 2009. Please give your opinion on that :wave:

syncmaster
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Buemi or Sato at Toro Rosso for 2009 ??

Post by syncmaster » 02 Sep 2008, 19:41

I think they should take Buemi.coz sato is experienced and drives fast but he makes mistakes when it really matters.So Toro Rosso should give chance to a new boy.Brunno Senna should not be in Toro Rosso he should be taken by a top team so that he can stand at what his uncle(Aryton Senna) said about him and will he reflect his uncles abilites
Desire has no limits

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 02 Sep 2008, 21:00

Both drivers are flawed.Sato improved at Super Aguri and has speed but makes too many mistakes.Buemi is too inexperienced and hasn't done enough in GP2 yet.On experience and sponsorship,I'd take Sato and get Buemi to test for a year while getting experience in GP2.

HandoZiZle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by HandoZiZle » 02 Sep 2008, 23:16

I would pick Sato just because of his experience and he actually did pretty well at Super Aguri considering it's a worst team when compared to STR. Also, there's been a rumor that Coulthard might leave early after Monza to make way for Vettel. This would mean that there's going to be a vacant seat at STR this season already.

MrPonx
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by MrPonx » 03 Sep 2008, 06:21

i would say Sato for the sponsorship backing he got... and because he have been there done that before, so it's easaier to deal with him

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 03 Sep 2008, 09:03

Don't think they go for 2 young drivers, I think they wanna see if Sato is faster than Bourdais, and if Buemi is faster than Senna. So I think the line-up for STR will be: Sato/Bourdais - Senna/Buemi
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

MrPonx
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by MrPonx » 03 Sep 2008, 10:17

i think Sato/Senna would be the choice

let's not forget Lewis/Kovi in the almighty McLaren!!! so it's doable I guess

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Buemi and/or Sato at Toro Rosso for 2009 ??

Post by TwistedArmco » 03 Sep 2008, 11:02

There are rumours that both Sato and Buemi would both get seats next year. There is of course that performance clause for Bourdais, and sure as hell he won't meet the requirements for that.

So I predict a Sato/Buemi line-up.

Buemi: Berger says he wants a Red Bull DD in there next year.
Sato: would add to rumours that a second Honda B-Team, this time American themed and based (led by Bob Anderson, so for now we'll call it Anderson-Honda), could make a bid for STR for 2010. Sato would be the link to Honda, and provide continuity after the name change, America would be a great area for Honda to be seen in Formula One with an American themed team, so an American driver for 2010 is also a distinct possibility. But for next year, Buemi will be there while it's still Red Bull owned.

This is my theory anyway. If it sounds like bull't, then you're justified to think that. It just seems plausible to me that Honda would try and up their presence in America, which would frankly be rather more profitable than supporting Super Aguri.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 03 Sep 2008, 11:10

swca92 wrote:Both drivers are flawed.Sato improved at Super Aguri and has speed but makes too many mistakes.Buemi is too inexperienced and hasn't done enough in GP2 yet.On experience and sponsorship,I'd take Sato and get Buemi to test for a year while getting experience in GP2.
Yes, but look at Vettel. He had no GP2 experience, and just 10 World Series races!! That's only one more (10-9) than the races that Buemi has come on the podium in GP2 series' races!! And Buemi shows every indication of being every bit as good as Vettel. And Vettel is very good indeed. And Buemi also has equal the amount of F1 testing to Vettel on his debut, and is also very young, meaning there is a massive amount more room for development.

Of course, that might mean that Berger thinks that another year at Junior level would be profitable, because Buemi would still only be 21 if he made an F1 debut in 2010.

But still, I reckon Buemi's your man.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 03 Sep 2008, 15:55

Sato and Buemi i think, putting Senna in for one more year of GP2 or RBR test driver is he doesnt win the title this year. Keeping Bourdais as an STR test driver would give him impoteus to replace Buemi if he fails and could make Buemi quicker.

Haukinen
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Haukinen » 03 Sep 2008, 16:19

I had always said the same: It's either Buemi or Senna.

"F1 won't change me" -Jenson Button, just weeks before dumping his girlfriend of five years and buying a Ferrari

HandoZiZle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by HandoZiZle » 04 Sep 2008, 00:07

So it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep Bourdais if the team is getting bought out by an American. Alot of American racing fans already know who he is and what he did at the states...

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 04 Sep 2008, 12:23

HandoZiZle wrote:So it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep Bourdais if the team is getting bought out by an American. Alot of American racing fans already know who he is and what he did at the states...
Yes, but that doesn't fit into my hope that Bourdais becomes an F1 reject. :)

Anyway, Bourdais, although successful, wasn't exactly loved by Americans. Only Canadians really loved him. Also, while it's still STR, why shouldn't Red Bull put one of their possible future stars in there? Buemi could win races, I'm sure, given a good car (I'm not suggesting that the STR would be a good car here :p ). he's smooth, doesn't make a terrific amount of mistakes, and has matured noticably since the GP2 Asia Series. Plus he's been testing Red Bulls a lot, and over a large period of time.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 04 Sep 2008, 22:43

Sebastien Buemi has a mountain to climb. Gerhard Berger considers him to be one of the few current GP2 drivers capable of making the step up to F1. Berger however also says that for that step to happen one needs to win the GP2 championship … At this moment Buemi is quite far away from achieving that

kimi and mika
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by kimi and mika » 05 Sep 2008, 15:06

Sato and Buemi, that's what I think, Sato is a quick driver and experianced (but I don't know how good he will be at being team no. 1. Buemi is very young and can improve a lot.