David Coulthard - Old and Wise

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
fettemieze
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Re: David Coulthard - Old and Wise

Post by fettemieze » 04 Jul 2008, 21:00

Well, I will miss DC as I'm missing Mika, Michael, Irvine etc:(

DC is a true gentleman & driver and one of these drivers who got my full respect.

Anyway, good luck and hopefully a great last season to DC :)

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 04 Jul 2008, 21:11

At the end of 2005 Official Review:

Commentator: In what some consider, to be the most exciting season of recent time
DC: Well I've been there going around circles. I didn't even watch the races.

:nosweat:
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

Arrows_F1
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Arrows_F1 » 04 Jul 2008, 21:29

I will miss Coulthard. He almost never made a mistake and because of this, I see him as one of the best drivers, beside Häkkinen or Schumi. With his retirement another F1 era will end, unfortunately :sad:

Richards19
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Richards19 » 05 Jul 2008, 20:28

Good bye David. One of my favorites drivers will leave the F1, but i think it was the best moment to retire :sad:
I hope next year he will be the commentators at BBC with Martin Brundle, why not? :cheezy:

JoFo
car driver
car driver

Post by JoFo » 07 Jul 2008, 19:25

Its sad the he quits, he have had a great career.
It was great for him to get on the podium in Canada.

For the next season, i think he will be replaced by Vettel.
Last edited by JoFo on 07 Jul 2008, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

Manny6
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Manny6 » 07 Jul 2008, 21:05

Well done to DC....I will truly miss him, he always created a sense of the old schoolers on the grid...he was
never arogent....I will miss the scotish blue and white helmet....my only let down is him not winning it all.... Flag:##

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 07 Jul 2008, 21:46

Let us hope DC can win a crazy race sometime this year before he leaves F1 !!

honda06
car driver
car driver

Post by honda06 » 23 Jul 2008, 23:46

a top driver but poor luck in important situations... id like to c him go in to tv work wiv bbc next year, since he left mclaren hez really become a top charactor to have around the grid, says wot he likes

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 24 Jul 2008, 13:36

Er sorry to buck the trend of complimentary comments to DC, but I think he picked the right moment to retire. He's missed out on so many wins that he deserved in the past, but this season, he's collided with Massa, Button, Glock, Sato, Vettel and Barrichello. That's a collision every two races on average. His spatial awareness has never been worse.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

Suntrek
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Suntrek » 24 Jul 2008, 14:05

TwistedArmco wrote:Er sorry to buck the trend of complimentary comments to DC, but I think he picked the right moment to retire. He's missed out on so many wins that he deserved in the past, but this season, he's collided with Massa, Button, Glock, Sato, Vettel and Barrichello. That's a collision every two races on average. His spatial awareness has never been worse.
Agree with that. He's not made anyone happy this season (least of all Red Bull) so I think it's time for him to retire. I wont miss him as a driver, but I'll miss him as a F1 personality - he is intelligent and outspoken and he's always had interesting things to say.
Last edited by TwistedArmco on 24 Jul 2008, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sorry, just edited a typo in the quote of my comment
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

sweet16
kart driver
kart driver

Post by sweet16 » 29 Jul 2008, 00:23

I think another role for DC in the future would be a driver coach
"Faster than a bullet from a gun"

bodach
car driver
car driver

Post by bodach » 08 Aug 2008, 22:35

DC - a gentleman and a welcome voice of reason over the many years of his driving career. He will be missed.

Bodach
Bodach

toolmeup
car driver
car driver

Post by toolmeup » 12 Aug 2008, 10:52

Despite overshadowed by Hakkinen's 2 WDC, I'll always remember him for his loyalty to his team.

ian95x
car driver
car driver

Post by ian95x » 14 Aug 2008, 06:04

It is pretty sad to see him go. At least he'll be like MSC to Ferrari after retirement.

MansellRed5
kart driver
kart driver

Post by MansellRed5 » 21 Aug 2008, 17:25

TwistedArmco wrote:Er sorry to buck the trend of complimentary comments to DC, but I think he picked the right moment to retire. He's missed out on so many wins that he deserved in the past, but this season, he's collided with Massa, Button, Glock, Sato, Vettel and Barrichello. That's a collision every two races on average. His spatial awareness has never been worse.
I feel I have to at least partially stand up for DC in this case. In regards to the Massa and Button collisions, I thought Massa and JB went for gaps that really weren't there in their desperation to move up the grid. Lets not forget about the Red Bull's very poor cockpit visibility. I think that's been corrected in recent races after DC's run of collisions but the mirrors are/were next to useless on that car. In those cases though, I'm always amazed at how the driver's engineer never gets on the radio to the them, to inform them that somebody's behind them chewing away on their rear wing, trying to get past. That aside, in Australia and Bahrain, I definately felt that DC had lost out due to over-optimistic attempts to overtake him. But the lack of visibility would have been an issue too...probably :p.