malaysia night race 2009

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
formulaonemadman
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

malaysia night race 2009

Post by formulaonemadman » 13 Jul 2008, 14:39

apparently this is going to happen(read from another forum)
good or bad, maybe good becoz its a dull track to watch in day
thanks shail69 for the avator!!!

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?P36

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: malaysia night race 2009

Post by TwistedArmco » 13 Jul 2008, 14:49

I don't think it's a dull track. the track is great, and was up until and including 2005 (massive battle with slipstreaming on the straights and into turns 1,2,3 and 4 between Webber, Heidfeld, Ralfie, JPM and Fisico in the first 30 laps). It's just that it was designed for cars that can run in clean air like to an extent the 2005 spec cars.

I think a night race is adequate around streets, but around a massively wide Sepang circuit? Maybe it will work, but I don't mind waking up early in the morning to watch it in the Malaysian midday, and in 2009, hopefully "Dirty Air Disease" will have been cured anyway.. So in theory, we'd get passing and re-passing on the two long straights anyway.

Plus we are yet to actually see whether night racing makes the on-track action more exciting or not.

My summary: unneeded, should wait another year to get the proper verdict on Sepang.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

Arrows_F1
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Arrows_F1 » 13 Jul 2008, 16:08

well, i don't mind there's another night race or not. i don't care if i have to get up early to watch the grand prix or if can watch it in the noon/afternoon. i also think that the circuit is a very well designed one and we have always seen much action on track.

also i think you should not exaggerate with all this night-race-hype. i think one night race is enough and if Bernie wants more of them then he can go for it.

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 14 Jul 2008, 21:38

I agree with you TwistedArmco, it´s unneeded at the moment. Malaysia isn´t that bad, especially in the rain (2001).

some positive facts would be: - no need for us europeans to get up early on sunday
- possibly more excitement at night.

I´m really looking forward to singapure this year, I watched the Indy Car race at Nashville yesterday and it looked absolutely amazing in the late stages which were at dawn.
I think we´re gonna see some awesome pictures in singapure.

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 29 Jul 2008, 19:24

blizzard wrote:I agree with you TwistedArmco, it´s unneeded at the moment. Malaysia isn´t that bad, especially in the rain (2001).

some positive facts would be: - no need for us europeans to get up early on sunday

I´m really looking forward to singapure this year, I watched the Indy Car race at Nashville yesterday and it looked absolutely amazing in the late stages which were at dawn.
i think bernie is wrong when he says that waking up early to watch a f1 race is not fun . well i live in europe and i enjoy watcing those racing either early morning. Watching it in dayitme feels like watching any other programmes on tv. So i think sepand should stay as a day race.

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 31 Jul 2008, 03:59

blizzard wrote:I agree with you TwistedArmco, it´s unneeded at the moment. Malaysia isn´t that bad, especially in the rain (2001).

I would actually say Singapore is the main reason for all these night race phenomenon. Singapore GP gave Bernie the nod and an option to have something as a night race .. This has forced $$$Bernie to move Malaysia to night race as in the Malaysian GP committee accepted Bernie's idea almost immediately. Someday they will push for Australia and Japan to be night race versions as well !!

Concept of Night race is fine, but i think it would be still better if you have it in broad sunlight. Moreover if it rains at night, i don't see a race going on ! It would Red Flag almost immediately. Think about some driver crashing into the barrier, the stewards may not be able to spot the debris lying on the track ! This all doesn't seem to be an simple one to be overlooked.

EwmanM
kart driver
kart driver

Post by EwmanM » 31 Jul 2008, 19:33

See I don't think Singapore looks terribly great as a circuit... and night racing has just been thrown in as a gimmick.
Doing it to other tracks for me ruins things.

Madridista-R9
car driver
car driver

Post by Madridista-R9 » 03 Aug 2008, 19:03

I think it'll be a good new experience.

ian95x
car driver
car driver

Post by ian95x » 14 Aug 2008, 05:59

Part of the challenge of Sepang is the heat. Taking it away by bringing in the night ruins things a bit.

syncmaster
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by syncmaster » 15 Aug 2008, 18:40

yes the whole fun of Malaysia may be spoiled but it can be a new fun
Desire has no limits

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 15 Aug 2008, 19:11

as Malaysia is nr the equator, surely it gets dark quickly, so we could start the race at dusk, when the track is still hot, then the race will finish in the dark 90 minutes later?

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 15 Aug 2008, 19:37

Well if the race starts hot in sunshine then gets quite dramatically cooler then there will be a big difference in things like tyre and aerodynamic performance,which will make the race exciting. Also its an unknown how cars and drivers will react to the night time,so the race should still be entertaining.

Burgerlim
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Burgerlim » 16 Aug 2008, 15:20

hmm... not a big fan of night race. but would like to judge based after sg night race this year... err next month? think F1 is getting tooooo commercial anyway.

erictheviking
car driver
car driver

Post by erictheviking » 23 Aug 2008, 05:55

formulaonemadman wrote:apparently this is going to happen(read from another forum)
good or bad, maybe good becoz its a dull track to watch in day

its a dull track to watch at nite too. once there was this merdeka race in conjunction with national day. they raced saloon cars. and i almost fell asleep watchin it

ScuderiaFan
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by ScuderiaFan » 23 Aug 2008, 06:48

it's earlier to say if the night race is better or not .. we shall wait for singapore race and see what are the drivers and teams going to say about and thier openion about it .. as a fans a night race would be full f thrilling and exciting to watch
Remember this one "A Formula 1 race without Ferrari cars is useless" ScuderiaFan