FIA Formula 2 Championship

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

FIA Formula 2 Championship

Post by Ali » 14 Jul 2008, 08:30

FIA sets out framework for Formula 2
Autosport wrote:The FIA's proposed Formula 2 Championship is to take the form of a one-make arrive-and-drive category, the sport's governing body has indicated after announcing on Saturday that it has launched the tender process for the series.

In a statement on the FIA's website, the governing body invited manufacturers to pitch for an exclusive three-year deal to supply the cars from 2009 onwards.

Doubts had been raised by several team principals from current feeder formulas about containing costs to the specified target figure of €200,000, but the FIA appears to have got around this by transferring the cost to the manufacturer, which would receive 20% of each car's bodywork space to advertise its brand.

"The selected tenderer will be responsible not only for the design, production and transportation of a sufficient number of race-ready and technically identical cars to each event and official testing but also for all maintenance and repair work on those cars throughout the season," the FIA said in a separate 74-page tender document.

"It will also be responsible for supplying all fuel, tyres and other consumables, all spare parts and for providing a number of technical personnel to support the competitors at events and official testing.

"It is envisaged that competitors would be responsible for the cost of replacing parts damaged as a result of racing accidents."

The successful constructor would also be responsible for producing the identical 400bhp machines, which would be supplied to teams for six tests and 10 two-day weekend events during a European-based season.

After each event the cars would be returned to the constructor and teams then draw lots to find out which chassis they receive at the next event.

Each event would include one hour of free practice, one hour of qualifying and one race of approximately 175km, although this format could change into a heats/final system if more than 26 entries are received for the series.

The FIA's proposed category, which has been seen as a direct rival to the Renault-powered GP2 Series, would allow for two-car teams. But entries would have to be for the full season rather than on a race-by-race basis.

The FIA is even considering allowing the successful vendor to include its name in the championship's title.

The governing body also indicated that the engines, the specifications of which remain undetermind other than that they need to be of a four-stroke nature, would need to be capable of lasting a full season.

"It is hoped that the cost to a competitor of competing in the championship for a calendar year - to include full participation in all official testing and events - could be in the region of €200,000 per car, though no minimum or maximum price is indicated in this tender," read the statement.

All bids must be submitted by August 29, and the successful applicant will then be notified by September 8.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: FIA Formula 2 Championship

Post by TwistedArmco » 14 Jul 2008, 10:09

It's the FIA trying to be more stand-offish. GP2 is way good enough already.
It's like Formula Master and Formula 3 - so similar and clearly FMaster is meant to rival F3.

GP2 will hopefully kill F2.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 14 Jul 2008, 10:15

I don't understand why they need such a race-series if we have GP2? In one side FIA is trying to cut expenditures, but on the other side it prepares "an-already-present" race-series which will cost 200.000 € for the bidder team. It's ridiculous. Maybe they (Max) want to minimize Bernie effect on the sport.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 14 Jul 2008, 13:27

It's the battle of power between Max and Bernie.

I like the idea of equal equipment, though. In F1 the car development of the teams is important and interesting, but in lower series the drivers' skills should be crucial and we'd see who really deserves an F1 seat. I don't really know how this series will work out in the end because there isn't much point for the two series to compete against each other of which one will be the best "second-series".

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 14 Jul 2008, 13:55

I don't think GP2 can sustain if FIA decide to back F2 championship. I don't know who runs GP2, but it will definitely take a back seat if FIA goes on with this !!

Or may be Mosley is trying to do something to resurrect some of his lost pride !

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 14 Jul 2008, 14:10

As far as I know, all GP2 cars are made by Ferrari and identical. So what's the point preparing another series that is exactly the same with the current one, if not it's a political issue!

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 14 Jul 2008, 15:22

I see F2 being killed by GP2. GP2 is at the F1 meetings,is established as a good feeder series and has produced many F1 drivers,while F2 has little backing and may not be at the F1 meetings

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 14 Jul 2008, 16:30

xyneid wrote:As far as I know, all GP2 cars are made by Ferrari and identical. So what's the point preparing another series that is exactly the same with the current one, if not it's a political issue!
GP2 cars are develop by Renault and manufacture by third party.
Constructors Dallara
Engine suppliers Mecachrome
Gp2 was created by Bernie Ecclestone and Flavio Briatore.

All A1 car from this season well be based Ferrari Mighty F2004 ...will be manufactured by third party.
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 14 Jul 2008, 19:05

In general, I think Formula 2 is a good idea, but the thing I don´t like about this plan is that this F2 series would be in direct competition with GP2. I think GP2 is a great series and there is no need to put it under pressure. A working solution could be, to classify GP2 as a clear newcomer and rookie series in preparation for F2 or F1, by downgrading the cars a little and put on grooved tyres or so and establish F2 as the second highest division, who knows maybe we would see Super Aguri back or Prodrive in F2. And all 3 series could exist beneath each other.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 14 Jul 2008, 19:10

Zack wrote:
xyneid wrote:As far as I know, all GP2 cars are made by Ferrari and identical. So what's the point preparing another series that is exactly the same with the current one, if not it's a political issue!
GP2 cars are develop by Renault and manufacture by third party.
Constructors Dallara
Engine suppliers Mecachrome
Gp2 was created by Bernie Ecclestone and Flavio Briatore.

All A1 car from this season well be based Ferrari Mighty F2004 ...will be manufactured by third party.
Oh yes, that's A1. Thanks Zack.

GP2 (Bernie) vs Formula 2 (Max)

sweet16
kart driver
kart driver

Post by sweet16 » 29 Jul 2008, 20:21

Maybe they would co-exist each as a feeder sport. That would present a new way in for so many up and coming drivers. It's not just the most talented driver that gets in, it's the most marketable face, the biggest sponsor, Formula 1 is all about money. There are huge struggles for sponsors at the moment so teams want sponsors more than drivers
"Faster than a bullet from a gun"

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 31 Jul 2008, 03:55

sweet16 wrote:Maybe they would co-exist each as a feeder sport. That would present a new way in for so many up and coming drivers. It's not just the most talented driver that gets in, it's the most marketable face, the biggest sponsor, Formula 1 is all about money. There are huge struggles for sponsors at the moment so teams want sponsors more than drivers
Coexist is a good point .. But i don't see how Max vs Bernie competition going smooth ??

phil1993

FIA Formula 2 2009

Post by phil1993 » 03 Oct 2008, 15:31

The Championship will comprise ten events in Europe between the months of April and September (most likely supporting the European races of the World Touring Car Championship [2]). Each event will take place over a Saturday and Sunday with one hour of free practice, one hour of qualifying and one race of approximately 175km. There will be six days of testing throughout the season - three before the first race of the season and three during the season.

So, will it work? or is GP2 far too superior and appealing. Where do you see F2 fitting in? alongside GP2 level, alongside WSR, F3? or is it the wrong step for F1 proteges?
Palmer unveils Formula Two plans
03 October 2008

MotorSport Vision's Chief Executive Jonathan Palmer unveiled his plans for the FIA Formula Two Championship in a briefing session for media and prospective drivers today (Thursday).

MSV won an FIA tender last month to supply the cars and operational expertise for the series, which is designed to provide young, talented drivers with the opportunity to race in a top-level international championship on a limited budget.

"The return of Formula Two after 25 years is an enormously significant time in the history of motorsport," said Palmer. "There is no doubt the FIA's eagerness to create a prestigious high performance new championship at a sensationally low cost is perfectly timed."

The cars will be designed by a six person team from Williams F1 led by Director of Engineering Patrick Head, and Team Principal Frank Williams also spoke at the briefing, which was held at the Williams F1 Conference Centre.

"We are thrilled and very privileged to have Williams F1 as our partner in this project," Palmer added. "Williams are one of the few independent F1 teams and their engineering-led approach has won them 113 Grands Prix and nine World Constructors Championships."

"Through a huge amount of commitment and motivation, we are establishing a formula that will fulfil the function of one leading directly to Formula 1 at a fraction of the cost of the alternatives."

SuperAngloF1
car driver
car driver

Re: FIA Formula 2 2009

Post by SuperAngloF1 » 03 Oct 2008, 16:18

phil1993 wrote:So, will it work? or is GP2 far too superior and appealing. Where do you see F2 fitting in? alongside GP2 level, alongside WSR, F3? or is it the wrong step for F1 proteges?
The only reason the FIA reserructed F2 is that about two years ago they realised the amount of money GP2 was making, and so they tried to buy the sport off it's owner. However, the owner said no luckily, otherwise the FIA would have screwed it right up. So now that has happened the FIA are crying because they are not getting the money, so they are going to make a competitor series to GP2, which in their minds will hopefully take all the money away from GP2, and leave the sport for dead.
Last edited by SuperAngloF1 on 30 Oct 2008, 19:37, edited 2 times in total.
Lewis Hamilton for the 2008 Formula One World Championship!!!

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: FIA Formula 2 2009

Post by Fergie1 » 03 Oct 2008, 16:26

The FIA will only screw it up. I wonder if ITV will get the TV rights since they don't have F1 next year.