Juan Pablo Montoya

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Juan Pablo Montoya

Post by TwistedArmco » 10 Jul 2008, 16:18

Don't shoot me, but I like NASCAR. And given that NASCAR rookies of the year generally tend to finish around 20th in the standings anyway, he's not doing such a bad job.. IMHO anyway. And I would have loved him to deny Hamilton his seat (yes I'm patrovictoriaphobic (yeah I just made that up), but still, Montoya was a firebrand, and not a slow one like JV). And F1 needs more firebrands, not more attempted goody-goodies like Hamilton or more regular guys like Heidfeld (although I do like him). Alonso has gone some way to replacing that :cheezy: but he's no Montoya in the swearing/mouthing off department.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

The Dark Phenom
car driver
car driver

Post by The Dark Phenom » 10 Jul 2008, 16:36

When Montoya was at Williams he did so well, but when he moved to Mclaren he really seemed to struggle before leaving for Nascar

Arrows_F1
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Arrows_F1 » 11 Jul 2008, 07:11

He did really well at Williams, his pace was good and he had a bigger chance to win the WDC with Williams than with McLaren at this time. I think he decided to accept McLaren's offer because Williams struggled in 2004.

The Dark Phenom
car driver
car driver

Post by The Dark Phenom » 11 Jul 2008, 09:44

Yeah, when he was at Williams, he was the hottest driver around because he was winning some of the races and was really challenging Mclaren and Ferrari, but when he left for Nascar that's when the compitition slowed down again to just between Mclaren and Ferrari.

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 11 Jul 2008, 09:50

Montoya took the last victory for Williams, that's quite an honour!! Let me say it differerent: Montoya is the last driver who took last victory for a team that is private-owned.
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

EwmanM
kart driver
kart driver

Post by EwmanM » 11 Jul 2008, 10:18

Not at the time.
At the time, BMW had a large financial interest in Williams.
Maybe not as much as Mercedes, but it was there.

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 12 Jul 2008, 02:21

TwistedArmco wrote:Don't shoot me, but I like NASCAR. And given that NASCAR rookies of the year generally tend to finish around 20th in the standings anyway, he's not doing such a bad job.. IMHO anyway. And I would have loved him to deny Hamilton his seat (yes I'm patrovictoriaphobic (yeah I just made that up), but still, Montoya was a firebrand, and not a slow one like JV). And F1 needs more firebrands, not more attempted goody-goodies like Hamilton or more regular guys like Heidfeld (although I do like him). Alonso has gone some way to replacing that :cheezy: but he's no Montoya in the swearing/mouthing off department.
I think Vettel is a good fireband ?? don't you think so ?? That guys seems to pull off the impossible times considering the team stems frm the old Minardi !

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 12 Jul 2008, 02:23

Arrows_F1 wrote:He did really well at Williams, his pace was good and he had a bigger chance to win the WDC with Williams than with McLaren at this time. I think he decided to accept McLaren's offer because Williams struggled in 2004.
True but in 2005 Mclaren were very strong in the second half of the season. JPM never managed to keep up with Kimi in a Mclaren. I too always wondered he wasn't able to put up a fiery show as he used to do in Williams !

Arrows_F1
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Arrows_F1 » 12 Jul 2008, 19:59

maybe it was different for him to integrate into the mclaren team

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 12 Jul 2008, 20:07

sanredrose wrote:
TwistedArmco wrote:Don't shoot me, but I like NASCAR. And given that NASCAR rookies of the year generally tend to finish around 20th in the standings anyway, he's not doing such a bad job.. IMHO anyway. And I would have loved him to deny Hamilton his seat (yes I'm patrovictoriaphobic (yeah I just made that up), but still, Montoya was a firebrand, and not a slow one like JV). And F1 needs more firebrands, not more attempted goody-goodies like Hamilton or more regular guys like Heidfeld (although I do like him). Alonso has gone some way to replacing that :cheezy: but he's no Montoya in the swearing/mouthing off department.
I think Vettel is a good fireband ?? don't you think so ?? That guys seems to pull off the impossible times considering the team stems frm the old Minardi !
I mean firebrand in the personality department. Vettel is personable, not fiery.

As for whether Juan Pablo ever had the beating of Kimi in 2005, he did so just once - in Brazil. Monza and Silverstone was where kimi got engine failure penalties, so they don't count, but at Interlagos, Juan Pablo genuinely beat Kimi for the first time that season.

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 12 Jul 2008, 20:36

TwistedArmco wrote:
sanredrose wrote:
I mean firebrand in the personality department. Vettel is personable, not fiery.

As for whether Juan Pablo ever had the beating of Kimi in 2005, he did so just once - in Brazil. Monza and Silverstone was where kimi got engine failure penalties, so they don't count, but at Interlagos, Juan Pablo genuinely beat Kimi for the first time that season.
In 2005 i was hoping it would be great title clash between Kimi & Juan only to be let down by constant engine failure of Mclaren !

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 12 Jul 2008, 20:49

sanredrose wrote:
In 2005 i was hoping it would be great title clash between Kimi & Juan only to be let down by constant engine failure of Mclaren !
Naturally I loved 2005! But yes, it certainly was a shame that potentially great races were impeded by Kimi's engine failures though. Thing is, I can't remember a single Juan Pablo Montoya engine failure, and yet he still finished way behind Kimi in the WDC, even in some of the races where Kimi started from the lower half of the grid (2005 French Grand Prix).

I think he lost his fire in that time.

HandoZiZle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by HandoZiZle » 13 Jul 2008, 03:02

Ehhh, Montoya is an allright Nacsar driver. I think he made headlines just because he was an ex-F1 driver going into Nascar. I remember watching him Crash into Scott speed and Rosberg at Indianapolis in 2006 and he was immidiately replaced by DeLaRosa afterward. So maybe that's why he left :huh: . BTW, "if juan wonders if juan would like to win juan round in formula juan, would juan like to win that juan in round juan juan..."

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 13 Jul 2008, 22:13

TwistedArmco wrote:
sanredrose wrote:
Naturally I loved 2005! But yes, it certainly was a shame that potentially great races were impeded by Kimi's engine failures though. Thing is, I can't remember a single Juan Pablo Montoya engine failure, and yet he still finished way behind Kimi in the WDC, even in some of the races where Kimi started from the lower half of the grid (2005 French Grand Prix).

I think he lost his fire in that time.
Montoya never gave his Mclaren a chance to disappoint him !yahoo: He would either crash or drive as if his engine was rev limited ! Flag:##

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 13 Jul 2008, 22:14

HandoZiZle wrote:Ehhh, Montoya is an allright Nacsar driver. I think he made headlines just because he was an ex-F1 driver going into Nascar. I remember watching him Crash into Scott speed and Rosberg at Indianapolis in 2006 and he was immidiately replaced by DeLaRosa afterward. So maybe that's why he left :huh: . BTW, "if juan wonders if juan would like to win juan round in formula juan, would juan like to win that juan in round juan juan..."
In 2006 he crashed into teammate Kimi Raikkonen ! That's decided his fate ! But having said that even Prost & Senna have had an incident like this in Suzuka, but they never went apart !