2008 FORMULA 1 Santander British Grand Prix

lealjaime
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: 2008 FORMULA 1 Santander British Grand Prix

Post by lealjaime » 04 Jul 2008, 20:07

i think massa has alot work to do in fp3. also mclaren and ferrari are very closed almost tie in times, but ferrari has a lead by .100 or .200 on track
Ferrari Rules!!!!!!

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 04 Jul 2008, 21:47

Race prediction:
1. HAM- 2. RAI- 3. KOV- 4. MAS
Red Bull will be strong, Alonso looked strong again, and BMW will get the pace I expect
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

ForzaSFM123
car driver
car driver

Post by ForzaSFM123 » 04 Jul 2008, 23:05

bodach wrote:Hello all,
any idea which channel is televising the Silverstone GP in the US ?
Speed is not covering it........

Bodach
Speed showed FP2 and will show Qualifying. Your local Fox will show the race, tape delayed. I don't care for Fox's half assed broadcast so I'm just gonna watch the live ITV feed on http://www.soccer-live.pl/ITVF1/f1player.php

markpaz455
kart driver
kart driver

Post by markpaz455 » 05 Jul 2008, 00:30

ForzaSFM123 wrote:
bodach wrote:Hello all,
any idea which channel is televising the Silverstone GP in the US ?
Speed is not covering it........

Bodach
Speed showed FP2 and will show Qualifying. Your local Fox will show the race, tape delayed. I don't care for Fox's half assed broadcast so I'm just gonna watch the live ITV feed on http://www.soccer-live.pl/ITVF1/f1player.php
yeah fox has c**p coverage and i too will watch via stream

anyway ferrari could be sandbagging since after all its practice but nonethless mclarens are really strong this weekend and it will be a close fight.
my prediction is that mclaren will light fuel hamilton to get pole for their beloved british driver on home soil and ferrari will be heavier but it should be a great race and indeed close fight

Liffonmelsmork
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Liffonmelsmork » 05 Jul 2008, 00:35

I also agree that Hamilton will be light to get pole, like Alonso in Spain earlier. Unlike Alonso, he has a chance of winning the race though!

Had a look around, most places are predicting rain for both qualifying and the race.

ForzaSFM123
car driver
car driver

Post by ForzaSFM123 » 05 Jul 2008, 02:51

Perhaps Kimi was working on a wet set up? I don't know but rain is highly expected come Sunday.

markpaz455
kart driver
kart driver

Post by markpaz455 » 05 Jul 2008, 04:04

ForzaSFM123 wrote:Perhaps Kimi was working on a wet set up? I don't know but rain is highly expected come Sunday.
could be running a wet setup since he was off pace by a good amount...more wing on the car and less speed down the straights especially in the hanger straight

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 05 Jul 2008, 04:57

Raikkonen has been fined once again for exceeing speed in pit lane, 2600€
Glock, Button and DC have been fined too for the same

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 05 Jul 2008, 05:35

being in the UK, i can tell you that rain showers are forecast for today, but they should just miss quali. Tomorrow, there is a huge clump of rain over the whole country all day so a wet race is a high probability.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 05 Jul 2008, 06:21

Friday practice - selected driver quotes

Ferrari’s Felipe Massa on his morning crash; Toyota’s Jarno Trulli on his similar-looking (but differently caused) afternoon off; and Mark Webber and David Coulthard on a positive second session for Red Bull. All 20 drivers give their verdict on day one at Silverstone (note - times and positions based on practice two)…

Heikki Kovalainen, McLaren (1st, 1m 19.989s):“We seemed to find a nice balance almost immediately and waited for the track to come to us throughout both sessions. The trick here is to balance the set-up between the high and slow-speed corners and I feel that we're getting closer to achieving that. We shouldn't get carried away with being fastest on Friday afternoon, but we've got a good basis for Sunday.”

Mark Webber, Red Bull (2nd, +0.531s):“Not a bad afternoon session. We had a look at a few different settings, as conditions were not the same as at the test, but that’s normal. After a small electronic problem this morning, we had some better running this afternoon when I was much happier with the car. Now we’ll wait and see what the weather will do tomorrow.”

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren (3rd, 0.544s):
“It was good to see so many fans at the circuit so early this morning. Although we'd only tested here last week, the track felt quite different today. The car's balance felt very good despite my having a little grassy moment at Turn Eight. Into the afternoon, the car felt increasingly consistent, and I feel we've got a good benchmark for the weekend ahead.”

David Coulthard, Red Bull (4th, +0.600s):
“A normal Friday. It was good to get some more running time, after missing a lot of track time at the test due to various problems we had there. I didn’t have a chance to run the option tyre during the test, so that was my first look at it today.”

Nico Rosberg, Williams (5th, +0.759s):
“After today, I think we can definitely say we had a productive test here last week as we seem to have made good progress. Our main objective for free practice was to focus on tyre comparisons and we seem to have collected some positive results from that. In terms of performance, we should be a step ahead of where we were in Magny-Cours, but we really will have to wait and see.”

Sebastian Vettel, Toro Rosso (6th, +0.816s):“Last week’s test was the first time I drove this track and I like it, especially the first part with very fast corners and combinations of them. It’s good fun and today we had a very productive session, ending up with clear answers on all the things we had on our test list. Therefore we can be quite happy, but now we must analyse what the others did to get a better idea of how quick we are… or how slow! I think we are in a good shape, the balance feels good and I’m happy with that.”

Jenson Button, Honda (7th, +0.940s):
"We achieved some useful information from our test programme today, even though the wind has moving been around all afternoon and we lost the majority of our running time this morning. We have a good understanding of the tyres, both the prime and the option, but there is still a lot of work to do as we are not entirely happy with the balance. We may be seventh on the timesheets today but that doesn't necessarily reflect our level of competitiveness, and we have a lot to achieve overnight to set ourselves up for qualifying."

Felipe Massa, Ferrari (8th, +0.954s):
"It was a big crash, but that's part of the game and I have had much worse accidents in my career. I didn't see any flags and I had approached the corner in the usual way and then I totally lost control of the car under braking. I tried to slow down, but the impact was still pretty violent. The most important thing is that we were able to fix the car and in the end we didn't lose that much time as it wasn't planned for me to do many laps in the morning. I want to thank all the lads for the work they did: they were fantastic and they didn't stop for a moment right up to the very end of the second session. We came to Silverstone with a good starting point after the tests we did here last week and I think we are going in the right direction. I am pleased with the balance of the car and its performance on both types of tyre we have here from Bridgestone."

Kazuki Nakajima, Williams (9th, +0.996s):
“It was going fairly well before the accident. I lost the rear at the exit of turn 12 and just spun into the wall. It’s annoying to make such a mistake because it cost me important track time. We’d been having a good run before that, and making good progress for tomorrow, so I also apologise to the team. I will now just keep my head down and look ahead to qualifying.”

Rubens Barrichello, Honda (10th, +1.013s):
"I love the Silverstone circuit, so I was disappointed not to have run the first session today due to the problem that we had with the rear suspension. The second session this afternoon was positive with some good feedback from a well-balanced car. We don't know where our performance puts us in relation to our competitors yet, however I am confident of a much better weekend than in Magny-Cours."

Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber (11th, +1.034s):
"There is nothing special to report from today, as it was just a normal Friday with us testing almost everything we had planned. Now we shall see how the weather is tomorrow and what we have to do to improve the car. As always in Silverstone, the balance of the car is changing with the weather conditions, especially the wind. I have never driven here in the rain, yet, but for me whether it rains or is dry makes no difference."

Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari (12th, +1.286s):
"This morning things were not so bad, while in the afternoon I had a bit of a struggle to find the best settings on the car, which was not working as well as it had done at last week's test. We have to look at the data to understand why. Obviously, the order in the second session is not representative of the relative strengths in the field. But I am still reasonably confident and if we manage to find a good set-up, then we can fight for the top places."

Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber (13th, +1.464s):
"I'm not happy yet. For last week's test the balance of the car was better. I think this is due to the stronger winds we now have, which cause the balance to change every lap. I had difficulties with the softer tyres, as for me they didn't even last for a single lap."

Timo Glock, Toyota (14th, +1.483s):
"That was a difficult afternoon for both cars. The problem with the clutch meant we missed out on most of the second session. In the end the mechanics did a fantastic job to get the car ready again for the last ten minutes and we did another two runs. The car had felt okay this morning, just as it did at the test last week. But we will now be playing catch-up for the rest of the weekend. Still, after the team's results at the last two races, we will push for further success on Sunday."

Fernando Alonso, Renault (15th, +1.522s):
“It was a usual day of practice, except for a problem this morning which cost me a little track time. My mechanics did a remarkable job to fix the car and I was able to continue normally with my programme in the afternoon. I mainly concentrated on evaluating the tyres and set-up work based on the information we collected last week. We must now try and make the most of the final practice session tomorrow morning, but we are going in the right direction.”

Giancarlo Fisichella, Force India (16th, +1.531s):
“It was a normal Friday for us. We have made a small step forward with the new package and over the longer runs there seems to be a more consistent balance and under braking the car feels more stable. We're getting there, but the other teams have also made some improvements and there is still some work to do. We will have to see what happens tomorrow with the predicted rain.”

Sebastien Bourdais, Toro Rosso (17th, +1.645s):
“This morning I had a lot of understeer in the high speed corners and this afternoon we dialled a lot of it out, but that has made the car worse in other areas, so our lap time is no quicker. We will need to look at the data, which we had some issues with also. The track got more slippery as the temperature went up so it was difficult to read what the car was doing, especially as it would change from run to run, maybe partly because the wind was gusting occasionally. We need to look at everything we did today and pick the best set-up. But it might be raining tomorrow, so that will be an additional factor to consider when planning for tomorrow.”

Nelson Piquet, Renault (18th, +1.653s):
“My day went well as I was able to do lots of laps and complete my programme. So we end the first day of work with lots of information, which completes the work we had already started last week. Our times today were not especially significant as the main priority was to complete the programme, which we did. Overall, I am rather optimistic as we approach the weekend.”

Adrian Sutil, Force India (19th, +1.767s):
“Overall not such a bad day. We did some positive work this morning with the damper, it feels quite good and now we have to decide whether we use it or not for the race, but I feel pretty confident when we do run it. Aero wise there was an improvement carried over from the test, about two or three tenths, but overall I think I can improve everything a little bit more for tomorrow. I saw the potential today and on different laps I've had sectors that have looked quite good, now we just have to put it all together.”

Jarno Trulli, Toyota (20th, +2.207s):
"Things clearly haven't gone well for us today. It's difficult to say what happened, I just lost the rear wing and went off. After that I was taken to the medical centre for a routine check but I am fine and cleared to return to the cockpit tomorrow. This means we have a busy weekend's work ahead but we will push to make up ground. After our recent results the team is really fired up. We can still try to get both cars into the top ten and then aim for points."

markpaz455
kart driver
kart driver

Post by markpaz455 » 05 Jul 2008, 06:53

phil1993 wrote:being in the UK, i can tell you that rain showers are forecast for today, but they should just miss quali. Tomorrow, there is a huge clump of rain over the whole country all day so a wet race is a high probability.
Thats interesting....The weather forcasts say 60% to 80% chance of rain for sat and sun but the forcasts have lied to us in the past couple of races so i'll believe your take on the weather since your in the uk and im in the states.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 05 Jul 2008, 07:06

i live 50 miles south of Silverstone (roughly) and it rained very heavily this morning, but by 11am, England (Silverstone, the Midlands and the south and east will be dry and sunny for the rest of the day, so F1 quali and GP2 should be dry, but practice may be wet.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 05 Jul 2008, 07:14

Fp1
Fp2

Mclaren ahead of Ferrari :blink:
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]