Reasons why people dislike Lewis Hamilton?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Reasons why people dislike Lewis Hamilton?

Post by TwistedArmco » 28 Jun 2008, 20:04

Anyone who doesn't like him, explain why you don't, especially if you're British.

PEOPLE: BE OBJECTIVE, REASONABLE, AND STATE YOUR VIEWS IN AN INOFFENSIVE AND MILD WAY. LET'S TRY NOT TO GET THIS TOPIC LOCKED. I CONDONE IT'S LOCKING IF THIS DOES GET OUT OF HAND..

There seems to be the perception that, if you're British, and you're not of Spanish origin, then it's not acceptable to dislike or not support Lewis Hamilton.

James Allen recently seemed to suggest in an ITV that:
There is a racist element in there, it would be naïve to say otherwise, but it is also born out of jealousy. Some people just can’t handle seeing a new star getting plaudits.
Now I read that as, either Hamilton-dislikers are racist or jealous.

I do not dislike Hamilton for either of those reasons, rather I think his massive self-over-belief is very very unbecoming. Where Heikki Kovalainen would say: "I hope I go well at the British Grand Prix", Hamilton would say: "I will go there and make up for last year" or "I will win". He's so overconfident and so damned cocksure.

So, in kind of justification for not liking Lewis Hamilton, which a lot of British F1 fans seem to deny you the right to, I'd like to hear anyone else's reasons for not liking him, and a judgement from Lewis fans as to whether this is reasonable.

NOTE: Please do not post hate, or racism; the word here is dislike. I want credible reasons, not unreasonable jabber.

To the MODS: If this becomes immature/offensive or becomes a flame war, then please lock this thread: I tried to make the title as reasonable as possible, and it is a topic that interests me and is not meant to provoke arguments, but if this becomes in any way contrary to the objectives of the forum, then please lock/delete this.
Last edited by TwistedArmco on 28 Jun 2008, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Reasons why people dislike Lewis Hamilton?

Post by Ali » 28 Jun 2008, 20:23

I don't think there will be a mature dicussion about this issue. Indeed, I pretty doubt whether it's a useful effort. Let's try it and be mature/objective.

I appreciate Hamilton very much. Perfect explanation for Hamilton's case was given by DC such that:
DC wrote:You need to see more because there is a big difference between winning when you’re not expected to, and winning - or taking the title - when you’re expected to win. Now he is expected to win and it is inevitable that when you are under the spotlight if you make a mistake people start to question why you did it. Pressure starts to build.
That's it. He's fast and will be very successful in future.

There have been always a debate about Hamilton. You can have an idea how it would "likely" be --> from here

Btw, I didn't write my post considering myself as a mod. As a member, I feel uncomfortable with the idea of discussing likes/dislikes towards any person.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 28 Jun 2008, 20:47

Ok, xyneid, judging by the link you've given me, it will turn out the way you said. Well, can we wait and see if people are reasonable or not, and then please feel free and justified to lock this post if it isn't reaonable or you and the mods don't agree with it?

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 28 Jun 2008, 20:51

Of course, I didn't mean to lock this topic or prevent people from discussing anyway. It was just a comment from a member, nothing more.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 28 Jun 2008, 20:55

xyneid wrote:Of course, I didn't mean to lock this topic or prevent people from discussing anyway. It was just a comment from a member, nothing more.
No, no of course, I'm encouraging you to lock it IF it gets way out of hand.

I'm fairly new here, so maybe I have too much faith in people to be reasonable. Really, I just wanted to get to the bottom of reasons why other people will Lewis Hamilton not to win, so that i could quantify that with my own reasons. because if you say to most F1 fans in britian: "I don't like him" they will often have a go at you.

We'll see what happens, and I trust you and the other mods to use your judgement.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 28 Jun 2008, 23:14

Those who dislike him are fed up with comments he makes, his attitude (people say he's getting big headed)
& his publicity (British Press..) Kubica won last weekend but never even got his picture in the redtop.And the way he came into formula 1,He came straight into mclaren.

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 28 Jun 2008, 23:20

I support him but I can easily see why others don't, his arrogance. Although he didn't seem it at all in interview on ITV during France.

coup
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by coup » 29 Jun 2008, 08:15

I started watching F1 in 2005, and my attention was drawn to kimi raikkonen. so, I dislike hamilton because he is one of the people that raikkonen is racing against and a driver that occasionaly stops kimi from winning. I just dislike lewis hamilton more than other drivers because he has gone straight into a top team, unlike other young drivers like sutil, vettel, and how most f1 drivers started their f1 career.

MP4/4#12
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by MP4/4#12 » 29 Jun 2008, 08:31

Too much hype for what he`s done so far. He`s good, but what has he done to be compared to Senna as i`ve heard some times ? He raced 1 season and a half always with a Mclaren (top car), it`s normal to befighting for the top places like this, if you`re protected by a Team such as Mclaren it`s also normal to get a bit arrogant, backed up by the british media. I like the guy, but he has showed he`s only human, the kind of mistakes he has done this season proove that, the fact he can be the first black man winning the WC calls the attention to him too. yeah, he`s good, but not the best and i think it`s way too much to compare him to legends already.

raikkonen4ever
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by raikkonen4ever » 29 Jun 2008, 08:49

Firstly I would say sorry for Lewis Hamilton's fan... :p

I don't like him because he was overrated, he came from GP2 and straight in to a top team like McLaren. He got the Rookie of the year award because he was on the good team with the good car. If he was on the same car as Kovalainen and Sutil at 2007, i don't think he would get that Rookie of the year award.

Just put him in the midfield or even underdog team to see what he's actually got.

And I don't like about McLaren's treatment to Alonso.
Alonso has made that car back to the top, but then they throwed Alonso out like a piece of trash because of Hamilton

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 29 Jun 2008, 11:35

My dislike for L.H. has two reasons:

The first one has to do with the way he presents himself in the media, he always seems to try to be the "nice guy" in interviews when a camera is present. But in the printed media his comments are different. A bit arrogant in my oppinion. Last year he thought that he´s the number one but it was only his rookie season. Should have had a bit of respect for a double world champion instead of going crazy e.g. after the Monaco GP.
This season he still doesn´t have what is called humility. After the race in Canada he said that the penalty was too high because he already lost the race, I mean is he serious? He destroyed Kimi´s race who was in front of him at that time and he would have also exited the pit under red which means black flag. Hee seems to be very egoistic, hanging around with rednecks like p.diddy and nicole sherzinger doesn´t help him either to keep his feet on the ground.

And the second reason has nothing to do with his character, but the way people adore him:
He started his career in the best car, which had a 99% reliability record and he had the opportunity to practice in the mclaren simulator which is told to be as cloase to reality as anyone´s. He didn´t do any bad mistakes in the first half of 07, ok but he wasn´t involved into fighting and the car was sweet to drive, with traction control etc. This year he´s already made more mistakes in the first 8 races than he did the whole last year. Now that it´a bit more equal upfront and you have to battle for your position.

He was branded "talent of the century" which is an absolute joke in my oppinion (senna, m.schumacher, prost, fangio, etc.)
The boy hasn´t won anything yet and i doubt that he will brake senna´s pole per race record
or michael´s 7 driver´s championships.

Even if we talk about talents from the 21st century I would rate at least Alonso higher than him, maybe Bruno Senna too, but he hasn´t raced an F1 car yet.

Silver Shadow
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Silver Shadow » 29 Jun 2008, 14:56

I don't mind Hamilton when I'm not watching ITV or listening to James Allen.

As well, the fact that he's so glorified is just sickening. The celebrity has gone to his head and he has become a bit of an @$$. There's no problems with him taking the best car in the field at all. It's the hand he was dealt with. The problem is him being so egotistical.

He called the other drivers a bunch of monkeys behind him in 2007 at the Monaco Grand Prix, he regularly compares himself to Senna, which I don't think even Schumi did, he just thinks he's all that when he's only in his second year.

As well, I think the pressure is mounting on him. He was a winner last year and had a huge points surplus over Kimi, and it evaporated just like that at the end. The expectations are high this year and with the fact that he's something like 3rd or 4th in the standings is really taking a toll on him...

[FIN]SpeedFreak
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by [FIN]SpeedFreak » 29 Jun 2008, 15:17

Biggest reason why I don't like him is that his first year made he arrogant, very very arrogant. :p You know, he is propably best rookie of all time and that was only of good car. Let's make this clear: He was on right place in right time.

David Smith
kart driver
kart driver

Post by David Smith » 29 Jun 2008, 16:19

Muhammad Ali was very big headed but the public loved him :D

Im inbetween really, i think hes a great driver and has got a nice side to him, its the way he feels hes above the rest, Not in ability wise but in stature. In 07 when he descirbed the backmarkers as donkeys or something along those lines when he was just starting off himself in the sport.

lucian
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by lucian » 29 Jun 2008, 16:54

I think Hamilton is not very honest most of the times.
He apologized to Kimi after having hit him but then he didn't want to pay for his mistake.
He called the other drivers 'monkeys' after the Monaco GP last year.
He got very angry when Fisichella defended his position this year in Bahrain.