Worse Grand Prix

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
MansellRed5
kart driver
kart driver

Re: Worse Grand Prix

Post by MansellRed5 » 31 May 2008, 16:16

Zenolas wrote:Rather funny how everybodies worst races all happened in a band of a few years. Shows the take over of electronics, and hopefully now we're moving on again.
Couldn't agree more! :thumbsup:

I found the majority of the races from 2001-2002 and 2004 very boring. There are exceptions obviously. I'm also going to defend Indianapolis'05. It was great to see the rear end battles for once, plus I thought it was a good fight between the Ferrari's. Not to mention the outraged fans understandable reaction to such a farce. It was a unique race in many respects. However, I personally find Indianapolis a very boring circuit and have fallen asleep during most of the races held there, except Murray Walker's last outing in 2001, that was a great race. Although 2005 ended the Ferrari dominance, I hated how the aero regulations had made it so difficult for cars to overtake that year. I think Raikkonen was the only driver to really manage this that year after several engine penalties and forced him to start near the back of the grid. It was painful watching the cars attempt to follow another car and getting the same effect of putting two positive ends of two batteries together. I really hope the new regulations allow for much easier overtaking, and less of this boring processional racing that we've grown more used to in the last 7/8 years.

On a more recent note, I'd like to nominate Malaysia'08 as worst Grand Prix of the season so far, it bored the arse out of me! :<>:

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 31 May 2008, 16:52

I found Malaysian GP very entertaining. :wink: Even looking at it objectively, it had some nice overtakings like Heidfeld's double overtake etc.

After 2004 I haven't really felt that bored to watch races because if I did, I wouldn't watch F1 at all.

Indy 2005 wasn't pleasant to see, but I watched it as I knew it would be a unique race. Of course I hope that anything like that won't happen ever again. It was just hopeless how they couldn't find a reasonable solution to the safety concerns.

MansellRed5
kart driver
kart driver

Post by MansellRed5 » 01 Jun 2008, 11:31

AzShadow wrote:I found Malaysian GP very entertaining. :wink: Even looking at it objectively, it had some nice overtakings like Heidfeld's double overtake etc.

After 2004 I haven't really felt that bored to watch races because if I did, I wouldn't watch F1 at all.

Indy 2005 wasn't pleasant to see, but I watched it as I knew it would be a unique race. Of course I hope that anything like that won't happen ever again. It was just hopeless how they couldn't find a reasonable solution to the safety concerns.
Well, I was very tired from not getting much sleep before having to get up early to watch the race. Tiredness, Ferrari's dominating out front and James Allen's voice, all combined must've made it seem like a very boring race to me :p.

I must agree with your second point. 2005 was a step forward in the entertainment value from 2004, I hated the 2005 regs but I rewatched Melbourne on You Tube yesterday and enjoyed it a lot more than I did originally. Again, probably tired from getting up early, plus James Allen's irritating and very boring voice.

Again, I agree with your remarks about Indy 2005. The race build up alone was very dramatic, I honestly couldn't believe what I was seeing. I didn't expect it to come to anything. I'm sure Paul Stoddart said "If there's one time that Formula One should rise above politics, it's now". Shame it didn't :sad:. Mind you, it provided a lot of talking points for the following week. Plus, it made a lot of people (myself included) mad at the FIA/Max Mosley :cheezy:.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 02 Jun 2008, 11:35

MansellRed5 wrote:
Zenolas wrote:Rather funny how everybodies worst races all happened in a band of a few years. Shows the take over of electronics, and hopefully now we're moving on again.
Couldn't agree more! :thumbsup:

I found the majority of the races from 2001-2002 and 2004 very boring. There are exceptions obviously. I'm also going to defend Indianapolis'05. It was great to see the rear end battles for once, plus I thought it was a good fight between the Ferrari's. Not to mention the outraged fans understandable reaction to such a farce. It was a unique race in many respects. However, I personally find Indianapolis a very boring circuit and have fallen asleep during most of the races held there, except Murray Walker's last outing in 2001, that was a great race. Although 2005 ended the Ferrari dominance, I hated how the aero regulations had made it so difficult for cars to overtake that year. I think Raikkonen was the only driver to really manage this that year after several engine penalties and forced him to start near the back of the grid. It was painful watching the cars attempt to follow another car and getting the same effect of putting two positive ends of two batteries together. I really hope the new regulations allow for much easier overtaking, and less of this boring processional racing that we've grown more used to in the last 7/8 years.
:<>:
Plus dodging bottles and so on. That added an extra element to the race. As for the rest of 2005, it was a great deal better than 2006, for instance Spain and France.

Also, what about the 1998 Spanish Grand Prix? The only thing that happened was that Fisichella tried to overtake Irvine and took them both off. Hungary 2004 is another candidate.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

misko jones
kart driver
kart driver

Post by misko jones » 02 Jun 2008, 18:33

Hungary 2000... sooooooooooo booooooooooring one m8s!!

MansellRed5
kart driver
kart driver

Post by MansellRed5 » 02 Jun 2008, 19:51

TwistedArmco wrote:Plus dodging bottles and so on. That added an extra element to the race. As for the rest of 2005, it was a great deal better than 2006, for instance Spain and France.
I have to disagree there, I thought the 2006 season was a lot better than 2005. It was amazing to see tyre changes during pit stops again after the mere fuel-filling ones we got the year before. Plus I was very glad to see Schumi back to his best and battling it out with Alonso for the championship. In general, I found the season much more exciting. I'm not going to defend Spain or France though, watching Fernando Alonso every single lap of the race. While we're slagging Barcelona, I'd like to nominate 2001 too. That's the only race which Murray commentated on that I walked out of because the intelligence cells in my brain had melted. I kept checking back every 10 minutes to see if anything would happen, and only tuned back in when Murray went mental when Hakkinen unfortunately slowed on the final lap. As for Spain and France 2006, I thought the main aim of F~0~M taking over the coverage was to prevent such circumstances. Do they still hire in the same old directors from whatever country the race is being held?

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 02 Jun 2008, 20:26

MansellRed5 wrote:
TwistedArmco wrote:Plus dodging bottles and so on. That added an extra element to the race. As for the rest of 2005, it was a great deal better than 2006, for instance Spain and France.
I have to disagree there, I thought the 2006 season was a lot better than 2005. It was amazing to see tyre changes during pit stops again after the mere fuel-filling ones we got the year before. Plus I was very glad to see Schumi back to his best and battling it out with Alonso for the championship. In general, I found the season much more exciting. I'm not going to defend Spain or France though, watching Fernando Alonso every single lap of the race. While we're slagging Barcelona, I'd like to nominate 2001 too. That's the only race which Murray commentated on that I walked out of because the intelligence cells in my brain had melted. I kept checking back every 10 minutes to see if anything would happen, and only tuned back in when Murray went mental when Hakkinen unfortunately slowed on the final lap. As for Spain and France 2006, I thought the main aim of F~0~M taking over the coverage was to prevent such circumstances. Do they still hire in the same old directors from whatever country the race is being held?
Mind you, France or Spain those years there was nothing else to watch.

Regarding 2005, although the lack of tyre changes was notable and maybe made it less exciting for some, I thought that the cars actually got closer to each other more easily than in 2006 and waaay more so than in 2007. Once again though, at no overtaking circuits, it's always going to be boring, in any year, so I suppose your enjoyment of a season depends on what you like to see in it. Tyre-changes/Schumi on electric form.

In this way I can see how you preferred 2006.

I made my final choice, and it remains the 1998 Spanish Grand prix.

AyrtonSennaGODsPilot
kart driver
kart driver

Post by AyrtonSennaGODsPilot » 03 Jun 2008, 11:00

i think it was spain 1999 - that was absolutely terrible yawn snooze

edugg
car driver
car driver

Post by edugg » 12 Jun 2008, 12:15

USA 2005 horrible!!!!

Nayrobi11
car driver
car driver

Post by Nayrobi11 » 17 Jun 2008, 00:42

2002, germany

melody
kart driver
kart driver

Post by melody » 17 Jun 2008, 11:53

mhhh don't know exactly. Maybe this ones:

Monaco 2003
Hungary 2004
Barcelona 2006
Monaco 2007
Indy 2007
Malaysia 2008

Arrows_F1
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Arrows_F1 » 18 Jun 2008, 13:26

hungarian grand prixs, since i can remember, they were sooo boring. except 2005 -whistling-

flapshot
car driver
car driver

Post by flapshot » 22 Jun 2008, 16:24

Hungarian was good in 92 whan Mansell sewed the title up. That said, boring for non Mansell fans..

I say F1 was (mostly) boring between 2000 and 2005.

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 25 Jun 2008, 12:32

Am I a boring race collector or something-
I have in my archive that is deemed boring -
Hungary 2004
USA 2005
and others

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 25 Jun 2008, 13:03

Arrows_F1 wrote:hungarian grand prixs, since i can remember, they were sooo boring. except 2005 -whistling-

Do you mean 2006? The rainy one?

F1 was oft boring in 2000-2002 and 2004. Don't forget that 2003 had a lot of difference from race to race in who won, who was good and who was poor, so that alone was good, and the overtakes were better than in 2004 and 2000.

2005 actually had some decent on track action. 2006 until Hungary and the last 3 races really didn't.