2008 RBS Grand Prix du Canada , Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Who will win the RBS Canadian Grand Prix?

Poll ended at 07 Jun 2008, 15:11

Lewis Hamilton
26%
Kimi Raikkonen
38%
Felipe Massa
14%
Robert Kubica
13%
Nick Heidfeld
No votes
Heikki Kovalainen
3%
Mark Webber
6%
Fernando Alonso
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 69

phil1993

Re: 2008 RBS Grand Prix du Canada , Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by phil1993 » 07 Jun 2008, 19:31

Also for ITV watchers, did you find it irritating the amount of times they mentioned (particularly in the build-up programme) Hamiltons 2007 win so irritating? yes it was amazing, but you dont need heroic music accompanying a 2 minute video from last year or to mention it 10 times, especially YOU Mr.Allen, please Chillax a bit and notice Kubica or Massa, especially as Kuby could leave Canada with the title lead.
Can I also say how amazing Mark Webber has been this season- if this is a clue to get him in a top car, then this is it- finally some reliability and he shows his worth.

Arrows_F1
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Arrows_F1 » 07 Jun 2008, 19:41

well done from lewis hamilton to get pole position. also kubica did a good job, mayber he can win tomorrow. alonso on fourth and räikkönen on third position on the grid, make the second row a quite interesting, but i think that alonso doesn't have much fuel on his car. heidfeld just on eight position, again beaten by his teammate kubica. he will get under pressure now, i think.
unfortunately webber is on tenth position without time. i think he destroyed his chances of point with it :sad:
lets hope he has a good strategy for tomorrow's race

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 07 Jun 2008, 20:40

morsus wrote:
phil1993 wrote:i dont think some of the fuel loads really matter, as some of them will get screwed up by the safety car and we could have a surprise podium like last year
I agree. Don't think fuel load as much relevance when it is very probable the presence of SC periods. So teams shouldn't use fuel strategy much, imo

btw, Alonso's betting on that, he's probably the lighter of the front runners, waiting for SC. Nice strategy, can get some results.

What's up with Heidfeld? He's been constantly behind kubica, and far behind in qualis. Is kubica that much better?

Piquet out. "Job for the boys"? :p
I also agree that fuel loads don't matter in Canada. We might have Alonso as a surprise bidder for 3rd place ..

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 07 Jun 2008, 20:46

rao_battula wrote:Any idea about Fuel loads? I would be surprised McLaren is so much faster than Ferrari with same fuel.

-BSR
May be a little less, but whichever race it has been the fuel predictions has always been wrong. I think Mclaren & Ferrari might discuss about the fuel strategy well before the race :p .. I always see them coming in within a space of 2 or 3 laps. !yahoo:

It looks like Hamilton is on a lighter fuel load, but that fact is somehow he managed to master Sector 3 where everybody else were losing time :huh:. I think the start of the race would be very important. Kubica is very good, but BMW hasn't been the better one at start, i wouldn't be suprised if i see Hamilton leading the race after the start followed by Kimi then Kubica.

Reports suggested that Ferrari's top end speed could be much higher than others .. But from sector 3 i find their speed to be 313 kph which is the same as Mclaren & BMW. I am confused .. Am i comparing it wrong ? Or i what i inferred out of the report is wrong ?

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 07 Jun 2008, 20:48

phil1993 wrote:Also for ITV watchers, did you find it irritating the amount of times they mentioned (particularly in the build-up programme) Hamiltons 2007 win so irritating? yes it was amazing, but you dont need heroic music accompanying a 2 minute video from last year or to mention it 10 times, especially YOU Mr.Allen, please Chillax a bit and notice Kubica or Massa, especially as Kuby could leave Canada with the title lead.
Can I also say how amazing Mark Webber has been this season- if this is a clue to get him in a top car, then this is it- finally some reliability and he shows his worth.
If you are watching ITV you should put your TV on mute. Then open your laptop and tune into Speed coverage from TVU player and enjoy that commentary ... !yahoo:

Dark Templar
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Dark Templar » 07 Jun 2008, 21:36

I'm think that Hamilton will end his race after hitting the "Wall of Champions". He jump a little too high on last 2 hips!

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 07 Jun 2008, 21:41

Does Trulli have a incapability of driving around this circuit without a spin every 5 minutes?

Also my predictions for DNF's are;
Bourdais - Hits the wall
Glock - Collision
Massa - Pushes too hard thus hitting the wall, maybe on the marbles from the track breakage
Trulli - Spins and crashes
Webber - His bad luck gives him a failure of some sort
Heidfeld - Makes a mistake on the track with it breaking up
They are my guesses, I actually expect much less to finish though but those are the ones im guessing.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 07 Jun 2008, 21:43

Fergie1 wrote:Does Trulli have a incapability of driving around this circuit without a spin every 5 minutes?

Also my predictions for DNF's are;
Bourdais - Hits the wall
Glock - Collision
Massa - Pushes too hard thus hitting the wall, maybe on the marbles from the track breakage
Trulli - Spins and crashes
Webber - His bad luck gives him a failure of some sort
Heidfeld - Makes a mistake on the track with it breaking up
They are my guesses, I actually expect much less to finish though but those are the ones im guessing.
5 minutes! :p

yes, there will be more than that. probably Sutil, Coulthard and Vettel as well

HamiltonF1
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by HamiltonF1 » 07 Jun 2008, 22:00

Uhm Kimi who? Ferrari where?

Lewis the men :tired:

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 07 Jun 2008, 22:02

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren (1st, Q1 - 1m 17.886s):
"To achieve pole position here in Canada at the same place where I took my first Formula One pole just one year ago is really awesome. Our car feels good and we’re really on top of our game - even though the track started breaking up in places. On my penultimate lap in the third part of qualifying I lost a bit of time when I ran wide and I knew that Robert and Kimi were chasing me so I was aware I had to give it my all. On my final lap, I found more than six tenths which was enough for pole position. Thank you to everybody in the team, I hope I will be able to reward them tomorrow with a similar result."

Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber (2nd, Q1 - 1m 18.498s):
"It was a very difficult qualifying with the track breaking up in some corners, which is a disaster. It was easy to make mistakes with these conditions. When you missed the racing line by just ten or 20 centimetres you were on the marbles with very low grip. However, I'm very happy with second. Certainly it will be a tough race tomorrow on this track. Unfortunately I shall not be starting on the clean side. McLaren particularly looks very strong and I shall also have pressure from the Ferrari, but we have to see who is on which strategy."

Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari (3rd, Q1 - 1m 18.735s):
"It's unbelievable how much time I lost at turn 10, lap after lap. The track was already beginning to break up in Q1 and I had no drive: it was like driving on ice and I never managed to find the right line at this point. It's a real shame because the car was going very well and I could have fought for pole position. I can't understand how things like this can happen: maybe it's down to the higher temperatures, or a repair job at this point not done properly but one thing's certain, in the race tomorrow, it will be very difficult to get through here. But the situation is not that bad. We are quick, as could be seen all weekend long up to qualifying and starting on the clean side of the track is definitely a good thing. Let's wait and see what happens tomorrow."

Fernando Alonso, Renault (4th, Q1 - 1m 18.476s):
"We have done very little running this weekend and there were still a lot of unknowns before qualifying. The car is still a bit sensitive and the track changes quickly here, and so I am very happy with my fourth place this afternoon - it's a good start to the weekend. The race is now totally open and that gives us the chance to score some big points tomorrow."

Nico Rosberg, Williams (5th, Q1 - 1m 18.844s):
“I am especially happy with my position in qualifying because it was very difficult, not just because the track has changed a lot from yesterday and even from this morning, but also because the surface was breaking up in various locations. The grip had dropped away, so the aim today was not to make a mistake as it would be heavily punished by simply going 5 or 10cm off line. Anyway, I managed to keep everything completely under control and avoid getting offline, and the reward was fifth, which is a great place to start tomorrow.”

Felipe Massa, Ferrari (6th, Q1 - 1m 19.048s):
"This is definitely not the result we were expecting and it's a real shame, as we had everything in place to do well. The car was very quick, both yesterday and this morning and, but for the problem which occurred at turn 10, I could definitely have fought for a place at the front. As for the rest, you just have to look at the times: the first and second sectors were very good, while I was losing all the time in the final one. Clearly, if these track conditions at that corner continue in the race, there will be a further element of uncertainty in a race which already traditionally, can be influenced by chance events. While in normal circumstances I'd have said that starting from sixth meant I had abandoned any chance of fighting for a top place finish, today, I don't think I can say that, especially as we have been so strong all weekend."

Heikki Kovalainen, McLaren (7th, Q1 - 1m 19.089s):
“We worked hard to improve the car all weekend so my grid position is mainly due to the fact that I couldn’t find a clear lap in the final session. The traffic meant I couldn’t get into a proper rhythm so I’m a bit annoyed with myself. But what can I do? I just have to drive a better race tomorrow. Congratulations to Lewis, he has done a great job for the whole weekend but this place has a habit of throwing up surprises. It’s always been a bit of a chaotic race so hopefully that will help me tomorrow.”

Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber (8th, Q1 - 1m 19.633s):
“It was obviously better than two weeks ago. In Q2 I was just one tenth of a second behind Robert, but I'm not happy with my lap times in Q3. It is a start, but I still have a lot of work to do. Today it was extremely difficult to choose between the tyre compounds. First I thought the harder prime would be quicker, but in the end I went for the softer options. Normally the track conditions get better and better during qualifying, but here they became worse. We had an awful lot of marbles on the track. This has always been an issue here, but normally this has been in the race and not in qualifying."

Rubens Barrichello, Honda (9th, Q1 – 1m 20.848s):
"I'm really pleased for myself and the team today. After the points that we scored in Monaco at the last race, this is a great start for the weekend here in Canada. In the hot conditions, the asphalt on the track was breaking up this afternoon and you had to take a good line to avoid running wide where it was so slippery. So it gave me the chance to use my experience to put some good laps in and I had two strong runs in Q1 and Q2 to make it through to the final session. It is nice to qualify in ninth place and we did a solid job today. I can look forward to a good race tomorrow from here."

Mark Webber, Red Bull (10th, Q1 – no time): “I was going okay, but the track was breaking up and there were marbles on the racing line. Unfortunately, on the way back to the pits at the end of the second session, I was slightly off line, got onto the marbles and couldn’t bring it back. I’m not sure how they’re going to manage with the track tomorrow, but everyone’s in the same boat. I think we’ll need to use motocross bikes, as it’s not realistic in a Formula One car, you’ll need to drive on the grass or on the inside of the hairpin.”

Timo Glock, Toyota (11th, Q2 - 1m 18.031s):
"That was just a really difficult session. It was very hard to find a good balance and I was far from happy. The main problem was as each session went on, the track just started to fall away. That made the second and third runs very difficult and everyone was making mistakes. In the end I just got the lap together for P11 and we were unlucky not to reach the top ten. It would have been good to make it back into Q3 but it just didn't work out. Now we will have to see what happens in the race. It is usually possible to overtake here but if there are similar track conditions it could cause major problems."

Kazuki Nakajima, Williams (12th, Q2 - 1m 18.062s): “It was a bit of a shame today because I missed Q3 by a very small amount and I really had the feeling that I could do it here, but it got harder to set good times as qualifying progressed. But I think it will be an eventful race tomorrow, possibly with safety car periods, so I plan to keep a level head like in Monaco and if that happens, I will have a good chance to score some points.”

David Coulthard, Red Bull (13th, Q2 – 1m 18.238):
“The track is breaking up, as it did two years ago, and it was incredibly difficult to drive at Turn 7 and at the hairpin. The track was swept between the first and second session, but it was breaking up so quickly that it was like trying to drive on train tracks. When you’ve got that amount of horsepower on a car that’s slipping and sliding, it’s incredibly difficult. I think we had the pace to run inside the top ten today, but I had traffic on the last runs of both sessions. On the first I was behind Bourdais, and on the second behind Piquet. It’s unfortunate to have a continued series of problems, but we’re thirteenth tomorrow, and hopefully we can have a strong race from there.”

Jarno Trulli, Toyota (14th, Q2 - 1m 18.327s):

"Qualifying was exceptionally difficult today because the track conditions were a disaster. The surface was breaking up and getting worse with every lap. I don't know what was going on but I did my best lap at the beginning and then I couldn't repeat it any more. I spun on my quickest lap at the start of Q2, otherwise maybe I could have been in the top ten. But after that the track just got worse. Today was all about getting a clear, lucky lap. I don't know how the race will go but the track surface is a huge concern."

Nelson Piquet Jr, Renault (15th, Q2 - 1m 18.393s):
"It was quite a difficult session and the car had the pace to go through to Q1, but unfortunately I was not able to go any further than Q2. I'm still struggling a bit with this track, which is new to me, and I haven't managed to get as much running as I would have liked. For the race tomorrow I will try and stay out of trouble, move forward and hopefully fight for some points."

Sebastien Bourdais, Toro Rosso (16th, Q3 - 1m 18.916s): “The track is falling apart and the conditions are really difficult. Because of the wind, there was also a lot of debris and leaves, which made the track very slippery, plus the asphalt has got marbles on the racing line because it’s breaking up. After the morning, I could not afford to make any mistakes and run the risk of not taking up a start place for the race and in these conditions it was just unreal. For me this is one of the worst days of my career so far.”

Adrian Sutil, Force India (17th, Q3 - 1m 19.108s): “We were almost there, but just not enough today and we will start in 17th. I actually had a worse feeling with the car and the tyres here than in the morning. The grip level was very, very low compared to that session and I think everyone struggled to find something. I think the lap time was alright compared to the others, just sadly not enough to get us into Q2 this time.”

Giancarlo Fisichella, Force India (18th, Q3 - 1m 19.165s): “The grip this afternoon was definitely worse than the morning. It wasn't too bad in practice and we found a good set up and compromise with the aero and we were quite competitive. This afternoon I just lost a lot of grip and didn't have confidence in the circuit. It was practically undriveable and really disappointing that we could not have finished higher up. We will see what happens tomorrow, particularly if it rains.”

Jenson Button, Honda (19th, Q3 - 1m 23.565s):
"I had a problem with third gear right at the start of Q1 which meant that I had no drive and that was the end of my qualifying today. It's been a pretty tough weekend for us and it's very disappointing to be starting from the back of the grid. We will just have to see how the race develops and take advantage of any opportunities which might arise."

Sebastian Vettel, Toro Rosso (20th, no time): “This morning I made a mistake, losing the rear end of the car and unfortunately here the walls are very close, without much run-off area. The impact was not that bad but bad enough to damage the monocoque in a way that it could not be repaired in the two hours we had available before qualifying. This year of course the rules ban spare cars, so we had to rebuild the damaged one which meant no qualifying for me today.”

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 07 Jun 2008, 22:04

Despite a track that was breaking up in several places, and the strong challenge from BMW Sauber’s Robert Kubica, Lewis Hamilton planted his McLaren firmly on pole position for the Canadian Grand Prix with a lap six-tenths faster than the Pole’s. He is thus perfectly placed to repeat his maiden win here last year, but with poor weather expected, the need for sections of the track to be resurfaced overnight, and the likelihood of safety car interventions, nobody is taking anything for granted. If anything, all of the teams are expecting a chaotic race!

McLaren
Lewis Hamilton, 1m 17.886s, P1
Heikki Kovalainen, 1m 19.089s, P7
When it really mattered - on his final run of the day - Hamilton simply rose to the occasion, utilised everything that a very good car had to offer, and blitzed his opposition to take pole position, the eighth of his F1 career. Riding high after Monaco, he suddenly looks again like the man who dominated in Melbourne. Kovalainen showed flashes of what he can do, but said that he never really got a clear run on his way to a disappointing seventh place.

BMW Sauber
Robert Kubica, 1m 18.498s, P2
Nick Heidfeld, 1m 19.633s, P8
As Kubica yet again starred, Heidfeld continued his struggle to like the BMW Sauber F1.08. The Pole was cautious not to read too much into his excellent performance - and he, after all, knows exactly what fuel load he was running - but the German said he was less happy with his Q3 times than he had been with those from Q2 when he was within a tenth of his team mate.

Ferrari
Kimi Raikkonen, 1m 18.735s, P3
Felipe Massa, 1m 19.048s, P6
Both Raikkonen and Massa complained of losing huge amounts of time exiting Turn 10. Each believe their car to have been capable of fighting for pole position, and the practice times bore that out, but the fact remains that Hamilton found the grip in all three qualifying sessions, especially on his last run when it really mattered, and they didn’t. The fascination in the race will lie in observing their individual strategies.

Renault
Fernando Alonso, 1m 18.746s, P4
Nelson Piquet, 1m 18.393s, P15
Alonso said that his Renault felt very sensitive, but was delighted with a fourth place that may yet prove to owe something to a lighter fuel load than rivals’. Sunday will tell. Piquet struggled again, and never looked likely to get beyond Q2.

Williams
Nico Rosberg, 1m 18.844s, P5
Kazuki Nakajima, 1m 18.062s, P12
Rosberg was very happy with his car and himself, especially given the state of the track, and to have achieved his goal after Monaco of not making any mistakes. Fifth was a great reward. Nakajima yet again failed to get through to Q3, albeit by 0.042s!

Honda
Rubens Barrichello, 1m 20.848, P9
Jenson Button, 1m 23.565s, P19
Barrichello was very pleased with ninth on the grid as he really got the most out of his Honda RA108, but poor Button’s chances of doing anything with a car that still handled poorly were frustrated by a problem with third gear that led to loss of drive early in Q1.

Red Bull
Mark Webber, 1m 18.031s, P10
David Coulthard, 1m 18.238s, P13
Webber said he was happy with his Red Bull’s performance until, right at the end of Q2 and on his way pitward, he got slightly off line in the back chicane, got on to the marbles, and couldn’t bring the R4 back. The resultant tap with the wall damaged his right front suspension, which could not be fixed in time to get him out again for Q3. On his first run Coulthard said he got held up by Bourdais, on the second by Piquet.

Toyota
Jarno Trulli, 1m 18.327s, P14
Timo Glock, 1m 18.031s, P11
Glock struggled to get a decent balance on his TF108, and that was compounded by the track conditions. Trulli said the latter were a disaster and demonstrated it by spinning twice.

Force India
Adrian Sutil, 1m 19.108s, P17 will start P16
Giancarlo Fisichella, 1m 19.165s, P18 will start P17
Sutil said his Force India felt worse in qualifying than it had in morning practice, but that may have been because of the changing track conditions. He qualified 17th, but starts 16th after Bourdais’ penalty. Fisichella was very little slower, but lacked confidence in the track, which he described as ‘undriveable.’ He moves up a place too because of Toro Rosso’s problems.

Toro Rosso
Sebastien Bourdais, 1m 18.916s, P16, will start P20
Sebastian Vettel, No time, will start P19
Bourdais described his day as one of the worst of his career after his shunt this morning. That required the gearbox to be changed, so after qualifying 16th he will start from 20th and last place. Vettel, of course, did not run at all as his car is being rebuilt around a new monocoque for the race. He will start 19th as a result.

David Tremayne

Mytola
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Mytola » 07 Jun 2008, 23:41

Fergie1 wrote:For people who watched ITV, did anyone else notice Martin getting a bit arsey with James when he needlessly pointed out Micheal Douglas saying to James in a what do you want tone?
Yep. I noticed that James pronounced "Porsche" wrongly (He said "PorsCH", not "PorschE") only a couple of minutes later... :p

rao_battula
kart driver
kart driver

Post by rao_battula » 08 Jun 2008, 03:03

Let us see what happens on Sunday. I hope Kimi Wins this race, but recently both he and Ferrari unable to handle pressure.

-BSR

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 08 Jun 2008, 03:12

HamiltonF1 wrote:Uhm Kimi who? Ferrari where?

Lewis the men :tired:
OMG BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH! :p
Relax! :nosweat:

~ Go Kubica ~ Flag:##
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

e10rice
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by e10rice » 08 Jun 2008, 03:58

Hey anyone notice that Ferrari isn't running the front wheel cover? wonder why? not sure anyone else mentioned this earlier, sorry if someone did.
Go Kimi Go!!!!