Rookie of the Year 2008

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

Who will get the Rookie of the year award at the end of the season?

Nelson Piquet Jr
13%
Sebastien Bourdais
88%

Total votes: 40

EwmanM
kart driver
kart driver

Re: Rookie of the Year

Post by EwmanM » 28 May 2008, 19:19

jonyq wrote:
skunkas wrote:it's of course bourdais... piquet has quite good car but he can't be fast with it...
I think Alonso is flattering the car... Don't think it deserves to be so high up the field.
100% right

Mytola
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Mytola » 28 May 2008, 21:33

maltafan wrote:I would rather wait a little bit more to choose the one which impressed me most. Till now, none of them, although Nakajima has a slight advantage when compared to the others imo.
Yep, I agree. And I think it's fair to call Nakajima a rookie as he only did one race before the 2008 season started.

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by maltafan » 31 May 2008, 21:20

maltafan wrote:I would rather wait a little bit more to choose the one which impressed me most. Till now, none of them, although Nakajima has a slight advantage when compared to the others imo.
Some more races have passed, and I'm still of the idea that Nakajima (yes I consider him a rookie; he only did 1 race before this season) is the best rookie of the year.

Piquet and Bourdais have both disappointed me.

markpaz455
kart driver
kart driver

Post by markpaz455 » 01 Jun 2008, 04:05

maltafan wrote:
Some more races have passed, and I'm still of the idea that Nakajima (yes I consider him a rookie; he only did 1 race before this season) is the best rookie of the year.

Piquet and Bourdais have both disappointed me.
Nakajima is the best newcomer so far since he's has some good drives this year and has been level with rosberg in terms of race results and points. Piquet has been a huge dissapointment and i would not be surprised if Flavio fires him if he continues to drive horribly. Bourdais hasn't been too dissapointing for me because he was outdriving vettel (before monaco) and he is in a toro rosso wheras piquet is in a renault which is that not that bad of a car because alonso has been making it in the top ten whereas piquet is a backmarker.

phil1993

Re: Rookie of the Year 2008

Post by phil1993 » 01 Jun 2008, 10:22

Piquet is in a similar situation to Kovalainen last year. Renault have made a step forwards with the new car, however, not as far forwards as their rivals. Last yeat they were the 4th best team, but I think this year Red Bull and Toyota are better than them. Give Piquet a chance on the tracks he knows such as Silverstone, Hockenheim and the Hungaroring. If he still has no points and Alonso increases his points tally by then i think he may be resigned to another season of testing or a swap with someone else. However, he is the guy who pushed Hamilton to the limit in 2006 GP2, so who else could they hire?
Bourdais put in an outstanding performance in melbourne and should have finished 4th, which would have put him level with team mate Vettel in the standings. He has had a few scrappy races and his DNF in Turkey was not his fault, neither (IMO) was his shunt with Piquet in Catalunya. I think he will be better in Canada through his knowledge of the circuit having raced there in Champ Cars and should improve throughout the season.
Nakajima is the guy that no-one has really noticed yet he has finished in the points in 3 of this years races. He is Japans best hope for many years, however he needs to put in a good performance in a "normal" race as Melbourne and Monaco (where he scored points) were chaotic races. He is the best rookie (if he is one) so far.

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 01 Jun 2008, 11:14

Nakajima is fast, but he's too aggressive on the track and often involved in crashes similarly to other Japanese drivers. Still, indeed he's Japan's best hope since Sato.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 01 Jun 2008, 11:20

AzShadow wrote:Nakajima is fast, but he's too aggressive on the track and often involved in crashes similarly to other Japanese drivers. Still, indeed he's Japan's best hope since Sato.
true:
His season has been:

AUS: finished 6th but hit Kubica and forced him out
MAL: finished 17th
BAH: finished 14th
SPA: Good race finsihed 7th
TUR: not his fault but taken out by Fisi
MON: good race to 7th,

however, remember his first ever pitstop at Brazil last year... :roll::

markpaz455
kart driver
kart driver

Post by markpaz455 » 02 Jun 2008, 01:03

phil1993 wrote:
AzShadow wrote:Nakajima is fast, but he's too aggressive on the track and often involved in crashes similarly to other Japanese drivers. Still, indeed he's Japan's best hope since Sato.
true:
His season has been:

AUS: finished 6th but hit Kubica and forced him out
MAL: finished 17th
BAH: finished 14th
SPA: Good race finsihed 7th
TUR: not his fault but taken out by Fisi
MON: good race to 7th,

however, remember his first ever pitstop at Brazil last year... :roll::
lol i forgot he hit mechanics but he will be the most succesful japanese driver

Radial
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Radial » 02 Jun 2008, 08:39

At this stage of the season i would say the top contenders are Nakajima, Sutil and Vettel (if you can count vettel?). Sutil drove a stellar race in monaco, and should be showing with 5 points to his name, however accidents happen badluck both of them. Bourdais hasn't had all the luck this season but we'll see what happens.
___---Radial---___

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 02 Jun 2008, 10:05

I don't think that renault is a great deal faster than the new STR. But Bourdais has had a less mistake prone run than Piquet and on the fact that he has points and hasn't been as clearly disappointing as Piquet means that he gets my vote. Vettel, Glock and Naka are not rookies, technically, although if they were being considered, I'd vote Naka. He's doing well.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

pes66
car driver
car driver

Post by pes66 » 03 Jun 2008, 15:58

I think Bourdais is better than Piquet because Piquet don´t know to drive the Renault well!

teahouse
kart driver
kart driver

Post by teahouse » 09 Sep 2008, 13:17

bourdais.........no doubt how many time did nelsinho went out

HandoZiZle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by HandoZiZle » 09 Sep 2008, 17:41

Bourdais would've have more points but his engine let go in the first race at Australia. I'm going to say Bourdais and i hope he can still have a seat for next year.

Tommi
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Tommi » 09 Sep 2008, 19:20

Both of them have droven below the par, but I hope that Bourdais will improve more and take the title of best rookie of 2008.

etapia
car driver
car driver

Post by etapia » 10 Sep 2008, 19:02

I will go for Bourdais, he has shown good signs of improvement.