Do you think reduced aero is a step backwards?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Lilellatho
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: Do you think reduced aero is a step backwards?

Post by Lilellatho » 09 May 2008, 15:12

David Smith wrote:Ive got mixed feeling about it to be honest, i kind of do think its a step backwards or atleast a step in the wrong direction for F1,sounds as if there trying to push it more towards champcar/gp2/a1 style racing. The good thing about F1 is the ammount of progress on technology etc, seeing all the new aero designs of cars is one thing i love, seeing all the different ideas of how to get the best out of there car.

I just picture next year as A1 type cars, all the same and on slicks which maybe good for racing but its killing what f1 is and has always been. Its taking away the sexyness of f1 if you get what i mean, well the way im picturing it anyways.

But on the other hand, i do believe something has to be done to stop the dirty air preventing cars to follow each other without a huge performance loss, but i just dont want the cars to look old and if we are going backwards. Its like comparing an old road car to a new roadcar, just dont want them to look old hehe :D

Maybe im different from your usuall f1 fan where they want great racing and thats it, i do also want good racing but the look and technology of the cars is what is so appealing to me.
+1
I wanted to write sth similar but you took the words out of my mouth. Of course sth should be done to allow more overtaking, but i just don't want to see F1 to lose its particular appeal and become similar to a spec series. The cars and the differences between them, the technicalities and aero innovations were what got me into the sport in the first place and I'd hate to lose that.

And somehow I just don't see more overtaking happening despite the changes and this is because of the existing point system, as I don't see drivers willing to risk compromising a whole race for just one more point. :tired:

MansellRed5
kart driver
kart driver

Post by MansellRed5 » 17 May 2008, 21:06

karkai6 wrote:If the objective is to make the cars more exciting to drive, then the main factor, I think is the reduction of traction into and out of corners.. I saw a video of schumacher at Jerez in 1994.. Without traction control and with slick tires, it was far far exciting to watch wit opposite locks at so many corners.. And I don think the cars were too ugly at tat time either.. So i guess i d go for reduced aero..
Couldn't agree more.

I vastly preferred pre-aero F1 :thumbsup: . So, I welcome anything that takes the racing a bit closer towards what it used to be, before technology took a lot of the skill factor out of driving an F1 car. From a personal perspective, I also believe the cars have gotten a lot uglier in recent years, I don't care much for this 'winglet' era :roll::

tourmaline07
kart driver
kart driver

Post by tourmaline07 » 21 May 2008, 17:46

I think today's cars look really nice indeed with all the vortice generators and aerofoils indeed personally , especially this year's Ferrari.

Problem is that it's completely ruined the racing going back to 2005 when they made the teams raise the front wing and go to a two-element rear wing to try and cut cornering speeds .Fair enough , needed to happen at the time because then cars were going round Monaco in 74 second laps (Michael did this in the race) and 1:42's for Spa where in 1995 the cars did well to go under 1:26 and two mins respectively.

I just think F1's got a bit too complex with all the technology , especially regarding engine mappings.The TC ban hasn't helped the starts as much as I would have liked - the teams just define a special start map to get around it .Hence Hamilton's problems in Bahrain when he chose the wrong setting.They should just force teams to program in one mapping which the driver can't just change.

David Smith
kart driver
kart driver

Post by David Smith » 21 May 2008, 22:46

Im sure ive read this before but could be wrong,, does moveable aero parts cut down on the turbulent air? if it did why not allow this in f1? or is it banned for a reason?

lukecart1
car driver
car driver

Post by lukecart1 » 23 Aug 2008, 08:07

the idea is that they will be going slower. but the idea that there will be a massive amount of overtaking is just nonsense.