Fuel-stop strageties

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Alex.J.
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Fuel-stop strageties

Post by Alex.J. » 29 Apr 2008, 22:56

Well i just finished downloading and watched Imola 1994 (Senna RIP & thx Zack :roll:: ) and it reminded me of the days that 2 and 3 stops in race were the most frequently used and 1 stop was rarely choosen so, I was just wandering why u guys think 3 stops in a race no longer happen......u think because of the "new" speed limit of 80KM/h?
As I walked through it Sunday evening, I couldn’t help but be amazed by the scale of this operation and the thousands of man hours that go into entertaining us for a couple of hours, 17 times a year.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Fuel-stop strageties

Post by Ali » 30 Apr 2008, 07:42

This is because of rubber they use in tyres. They cannot last through long stints. Pit stops are done for particularly tyre change, otherwise teams produce big fuel tanks and don't have to pit.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

Alex.J.
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Alex.J. » 30 Apr 2008, 08:49

xyneid wrote:This is because of rubber they use in tyres. They cannot last through long stints. Pit stops are done for particularly tyre change, otherwise teams produce big fuel tanks and don't have to pit.
So u mean today's tyres work longer?
As I walked through it Sunday evening, I couldn’t help but be amazed by the scale of this operation and the thousands of man hours that go into entertaining us for a couple of hours, 17 times a year.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 30 Apr 2008, 10:07

Yeah todays tyres have to work longer ...its due changes in rules & regulations.
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

Alex.J.
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Alex.J. » 30 Apr 2008, 10:08

oh ok thx guys :thumbsup:
Flag:##

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 30 Apr 2008, 15:44

okay, your lighter, but overtaking in F1 is very difficult, and you have to make an extra stop, means a loss of 26 seconds or so
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 30 Apr 2008, 18:23

anyways it wont work now-a-days! Earlier teams used to get on demand tyres & its compound
...For example watch 2004 british gp (2 pstop victory) & french gp (4 pstop victory).
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

metalhead188
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by metalhead188 » 30 Apr 2008, 21:42

all based on pit lane length and how well the car works on soft and/or hard tires

Soyyo
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Soyyo » 02 May 2008, 07:22

All is related to strategies:
1) Now when you finish the qualification round you have the amount of gas you would start the race with. In the past you did the qualification lap nearly empty, and before the race you fill-up your car base on your criteria. Nobody knew nothing about your fuel-strategic, this aspect was nearly top-secret, but with today's rules you could suspect if a car has a heavy load or is almost empty and you could have an idea when it would be stopping to refill.
2) The tire changing rule eliminates the surprise factor of the fuel-stops. Depending on the tire type you start with and the tire type you change on your first fuel-stop, you are telling everybody in advanced about your fuel-stops strategies.
3) The tire's reliability has increase over the years, so you could use a tire for a longer time.

So for these factors (some of them anti-strategies rules), you don't expect to see 3 stops. They are only use with a very good car thats for any reason is starting in the back of the grid with a very light load trying to gain positions.

f1fanatic.co.uk
car driver
car driver

Post by f1fanatic.co.uk » 02 May 2008, 09:57

Alex.J. wrote:Well i just finished downloading and watched Imola 1994 (Senna RIP & thx Zack :roll:: ) and it reminded me of the days that 2 and 3 stops in race were the most frequently used and 1 stop was rarely choosen so, I was just wandering why u guys think 3 stops in a race no longer happen......u think because of the "new" speed limit of 80KM/h?
I honestly don't care.

Fuel strategies are boring. I want to see racing on the track, and drivers moving ahead by passing the people in front of them, not just doing it through the pit stops.

They should ban refuelling during races. It's spoiled qualifying as well.

Kahutek
car driver
car driver

Post by Kahutek » 02 May 2008, 10:43

It is ironic that the FIA introduced fuel stop to 'spice up' the action, when all they've done is turn races into processional sprints between stops.

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 02 May 2008, 16:45

Yeah well then again, the pit stops are the only way you can overtake people with the current aero rules. Maybe we'll see more excitement in 2009, maybe not. So far the lack of TC hasn't created anything different except for Australia which was a real mayhem.