Do we have to listen national anthems on the podium?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Do we have to listen national anthems on the podium?

Post by Ali » 15 Apr 2008, 21:39

Formula 1 is a sport(!) which gathers the most competent experts of their fields, millions of people over the world and billions of dollars into a series of events in order to create fun and make money.

Technicians do their job and build super-fast and reliable engines (well ok, not always); drivers are of first class drivers all over the world (ok ok, let's assume); and we the spectators make the most of this competetion to have fun.

So, do nationalities have anything to do with Formula 1 business? In Ferrari, which is an Italian origin, we have a Brasilian and a Finn driver. Former team boss was French and former technical director was English. It's so apperant that this ain't a world soccer cup of nations. No! Here in this forum, there are lots of people from every point of world. Is that really important whose nation is this or that?

Formula 1 is a mixed zone , not a A1GP. Then why do we have to listen national anthems? What's the point? When Felipa Massa wins a race, it's because of Brasil did the job or Fisichella doesn't finish the race, then do we blame Italy for that? What do nations do? Why do we specify the nationalities of drivers on the world feed TV info pages?
Last edited by Ali on 16 Apr 2008, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

ForzaSFM123
car driver
car driver

Re: Do we have to listen national anthems in podium?

Post by ForzaSFM123 » 16 Apr 2008, 03:11

There is not a better way to end a Grand Prix weekend then with the Italian Anthem after Finland's. Nationality has always been apart of this sport. Think of the English teams and their green cars, or Italian teams and their red. Formula 1 is a world stage and I think that the nations who have participants should be recognized. Makes me want a talented American driver with a car to get that top step on the podium. :roll::

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 16 Apr 2008, 06:03

yeah, the podium is a fitting finale to the f1 weekend

tokkosonic
car driver
car driver

Re: Do we have to listen national anthems on the podium?

Post by tokkosonic » 16 Apr 2008, 14:44

This is a no brainer; of course there should always be the anthems played, it represents the nations whos drivers are in F1, and is an especially great feeling after u have won a race.

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 16 Apr 2008, 16:08

Do we listen to national anthems in sports? :p Yes and they're part of it.

Of course, as you said, F1 is different and the driver does not do everything by himself. But that's why there's the team's national anthem as well. All of the personnel might not come from the same country but that kind of things are pretty irrelevant. In some other sports the atheletes might also use foreign coaches, but that hasn't been a problem either.

Despite of being different from the more traditional sports, many fans still watch F1 because their countrymen are successful there and so the nation is important to them. That's why it's also a great feeling to hear your national anthem if the driver wins.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 16 Apr 2008, 16:50

AzShadow wrote:Do we listen to national anthems in sports? :p Yes and they're part of it.

Of course, as you said, F1 is different and the driver does not do everything by himself. But that's why there's the team's national anthem as well. All of the personnel might not come from the same country but that kind of things are pretty irrelevant. In some other sports the atheletes might also use foreign coaches, but that hasn't been a problem either.
No, that's totally different. In national sports competetions and organizations, countries pay all the bills of those teams or individuals who will participate and represent that country and people of country, who pay taxes in order for their players to be paid. Sportsmen are raised and coached within this country via the sources of this particular country. You know what? Country also pays all the bills of foreign coaches or managers. They accomodate in that country, eat the food of this country and so on. Then, those people would be proud of their players' successes since they think they are part of that success.

But in Formula 1, drivers move to Swiss in order not to pay taxes for their country. What are the consequences then? Country will not adequately serve its community some utilities, part of which drivers are supposed to have responsibility by being a citizen. But those drivers prefer not to pay tax. Apart from money and financial thing, they don't even live in their home countries. Do they honor their nations? They don't live with them, they don't pay taxes. So, what's that? Do they think they give honor their citizens just beacuse they make them to listen the national anthem? Do you really feel you are honored in this way?
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 16 Apr 2008, 16:51

i understand your point, but hamilton is still british and raikkonen is still finnish, they just own a house there.

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 16 Apr 2008, 17:50

I do not support my countrymen so that they would pay the taxes of their successes to the country. I feel honored when they win and in F1 so far I haven't seen any of my countrymen thinking that he's an "outsider" and not representing Finland.

F1 drivers move abroad to avoid taxes and to get more peaceful life and I am totally fine with that. The press makes their lives so painful at times and I don't think that their countries deserve to take their hard-earned money away from them either.

The money and living thing is trivial to me. So actually feeling that the driver is from your country and hearing the national anthem is enough with me. To be honest, the thought that for example Kimi wouldn't represent my country hasn't even crossed my mind. :wink:

coup
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by coup » 17 Apr 2008, 14:51

ForzaSFM123 wrote:There is not a better way to end a Grand Prix weekend then with the Italian Anthem after Finland's.
Totally agree :)

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 17 Apr 2008, 15:28

I like Italian anthem... its like Ferrari Glory Song for me ;)

and its traditional way ...should be followed forever.
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

HamiltonF1
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by HamiltonF1 » 17 Apr 2008, 17:43

When your on a podium you need a anthem its as simple as that :tired:

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 17 Apr 2008, 17:45

HamiltonF1 wrote:When your on a podium you need a anthem its as simple as that :tired:
Why? Why do you have such a necessity?

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 17 Apr 2008, 17:51

look- its pretty simple. the driver is one important asset- so his original country is played, then the team as a whole- not for every individual team member. do you have a big grudge against them or something? everyone else thinks they're great

think in athletics, the national anthem of the athlete is played if they win- but what about the makers of their specifically designed trainers, clothes or their personal trainers. in f1 at least the people working for the competitiors get recognised

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 17 Apr 2008, 18:11

phil1993 wrote:look- its pretty simple. the driver is one important asset- so his original country is played, then the team as a whole- not for every individual team member. do you have a big grudge against them or something?

Grudge? Critisicm is not what you call for it.
phil1993 wrote:everyone else thinks they're great
If everyone starts to think otherwise, then will you change your idea? You should seek for the truth in universality, not in commonality.

I don't bother where drivers live or what they do. I bother the consistency, I bother the hypocrisy. I judge these seramonies and podium anthem shows as an abuse mechanism for those people who watch races just because their countryman is involved. They (organizers, F~0~M, etc. etc.) don't give it a s..t. They just demand much more audience and thus more ads and hence more income.
phil1993 wrote:think in athletics, the national anthem of the athlete is played if they win- but what about the makers of their specifically designed trainers, clothes or their personal trainers. in f1 at least the people working for the competitiors get recognised
I don't understand what you mean by this parapraph.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 17 Apr 2008, 18:15

look, i dont want to start being nasty or have a horrible discussion, but it is a nice way to end the weekend, everyone looks happy when the music is playing and in a way it gives the driver proud to stand on the podium