Eccelstone and the Aussie GP

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Lore4Sun
car driver
car driver

Eccelstone and the Aussie GP

Post by Lore4Sun » 18 Mar 2008, 00:13

just gotta say i hope that ecclestone doesnt play the greed hand and cancel the aussie grand prix and give it to some souless promoter in some oil rich country who will do his bidding unquestioning... i can see his greedy eyes looking at all the cash now...

Australia sets perhaps the highest standard in event management, TV, political stability, entertainment etc etc etc, gives F1 a good name. and we pay a s*** load of cash to hold the race, and now hes demanding that the organisers forgoe the best interests of the aussies who pay for it so that we can cater for europeans who dont like getting up to watch the race... unfortnuately for us down here we have to get up for almost all the races!!! eccelstones bullying is criminal and he might be selling more corporate images on racetracks than ever before but hes damaging the integrity of the sport!!

WDC
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: Eccelstone and the Aussie GP

Post by WDC » 18 Mar 2008, 04:49

well said, i agree completely. a survey in the herald sun of i think 50 people at the race said that 70% would be disapointed to see the race go and 65% said that it is the sporting event they look forward to most in melbourne.

unfortunantly another study of 2000 people showed that 32% were happy with the race at 7pm, 34% happy with the race between 3-5pm and the other 34% wanted the race to go...

im sick of the greens!
Thankyou Schumi you will always have a place in our hearts!
Michael Schumacher- 7 volte Campione del mondo!
SIMPLY THE BEST

dave074
car driver
car driver

Post by dave074 » 18 Mar 2008, 04:54

living in the U.S. where we lost our grand prix, i would be thrilled to get it back even if it were at night. as it is now i never watch a race live.

would a night race in melbourne really be that bad, it sounds like it would be really cool. just reverse the order of the kiss concert and the race, stay all day and have a blast. bernie won't take the race away, but it is pretty apparent that he is insisting it be at night, which makes total sense from his perspective.
“Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.” -Ernest Hemingway

Zenolas
car driver
car driver

Post by Zenolas » 18 Mar 2008, 07:40

Bernie does seem to be talking alot of smack recently, and dishing out ultimatums like it's a charity event. Personally, i believe these are hollow attempts to force people to roll over for him, and so far it has worked.
With the Racist issue in Spain and the threatened Veto of both their GPs, this was clearly evident (in my opinion). With the money man he is, canceling two races you've just written in stone for the next few years seems to go against him, and this was just a reaction to please the massing Hamilton fans (and the FIA).

On topic, i think it would be a shame to lose the Australian GP. It is a decent race especially this year with all the action. It also is made even better by the luscious weather, which would be lost during the night.
I am happy to wake up at 3.30am to watch the GP, and many of the dedicated fans are happy too. It is a shame that Bernie isn't aiming at the right group of fans.

Lore4Sun
car driver
car driver

on yer bike Bernie!

Post by Lore4Sun » 19 Mar 2008, 08:11

yeah Bernie makes a lot of comments and predictions and hes more than often wrong... hes a money man, sure and good at it, especially good at filling his own bank account... i remember him predicting after th 05 aussie GP that fisicella was gonna blow everyone away!

i dont think he cares at all about the real fans, and i tend to think that F1 has a large proportion of hard-core fans, hes not getting it... yeah the weather in australia is unreal this time of year, its a showcase event for sure, im an aussie and ive lived in melbourne and a large reason why people go to these kind of events is because they love to get out in the great weather on a sunday. aussies are lazy and complacent and i doubt youd get the same crowd at night, and you just wont get the same awesome colour as you do during the day, its very clear Bernie, wakey wakey, hands off snakey!

as for the greenie element, well actually i agree with them to a point, theres lots of issues with F1 relative to the planetary emergency of resources and pollution, though again if people like bernie get their hand off it for a second and realise that we dont really want to live in a dying capo world, he could showcase some good movements toward green and make the sport a world leader... other wise again he risks the world losing interest... surely he realises this, it wont take too many more disasters before something life f1 turns into a shame case for the intelligent world. good on Honda for leading the way, i hope its successful for them.

so whats bernies vision then? promoting a dying industry in obscure places with no passion for the sport but a capitalistic blank cheque... come on BErnie your way too old, get out of the way and invite someone in with some vision and perspective. good job, but old generation, its getting tired mate!!

Manny6
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Manny6 » 20 Mar 2008, 10:06

Lore4Sun wrote:just gotta say i hope that ecclestone doesnt play the greed hand and cancel the aussie grand prix and give it to some souless promoter in some oil rich country who will do his bidding unquestioning... i can see his greedy eyes looking at all the cash now...

Australia sets perhaps the highest standard in event management, TV, political stability, entertainment etc etc etc, gives F1 a good name. and we pay a s*** load of cash to hold the race, and now hes demanding that the organisers forgoe the best interests of the aussies who pay for it so that we can cater for europeans who dont like getting up to watch the race... unfortnuately for us down here we have to get up for almost all the races!!! eccelstones bullying is criminal and he might be selling more corporate images on racetracks than ever before but hes damaging the integrity of the sport!!

I too agree with that bernie's approach have created some nice venues but there's a point when the fans have to be taken into consideration...give me the time and channel for the race I will be there to watch...fans rule and make the sport

Flag:##

LjStronge
car driver
car driver

Post by LjStronge » 20 Mar 2008, 10:16

In my opinion, all F1 races should be shown at the time best suited to the country holding them.

I am quite happy to get up at 4am in the morning to watch a race, it is on live should I wish to watch it and even if I can't be bothered to get out of bed, it is shown in the afternoon anyway.

I would actually like to see how many "european" fans don't watch a GP because its in the morning. If your a big fan of F1, you get up and watch it, if your not that fussed about watching it live, watch it later, whats the issue.

Taking races away from country's or asking them to move time slots to sort the "apparent majority" (a point I disagree with) is just bribary. I hope the Aussie's stick to their guns and refuse to hold a night race, but saying that, I really hope they keep the race, I do think that Bernie has a bit of a power craze issue though, so when he says move it, and they don't, I do think he will cancel it as he will want to show that he means what he says.

A shame, and I think he needs to wake up and realise what makes F1 the best motorsport in the world, and thats the fans, not the global corporisation bulls**!

Zenolas
car driver
car driver

Post by Zenolas » 20 Mar 2008, 19:25

LjStronge wrote:In my opinion, all F1 races should be shown at the time best suited to the country holding them.

I am quite happy to get up at 4am in the morning to watch a race, it is on live should I wish to watch it and even if I can't be bothered to get out of bed, it is shown in the afternoon anyway.

I would actually like to see how many "european" fans don't watch a GP because its in the morning. If your a big fan of F1, you get up and watch it, if your not that fussed about watching it live, watch it later, whats the issue.

A shame, and I think he needs to wake up and realise what makes F1 the best motorsport in the world, and thats the fans, not the global corporisation bulls**!

I completely agree with what you're saying. Unfortunately, the vast majority of new fans > hardcore fans. I mean, Indian and Russian GP? Why not bring back classics (Imola anybody?) or Suzuka or many others instead.
This politics and business has spread too far, even to the drivers who aren't allowed to be people, aren't allowed to wear what they want, do what they want etc.

drift
car driver
car driver

Post by drift » 20 Mar 2008, 23:03

Zenolas wrote:
LjStronge wrote:In my opinion, all F1 races should be shown at the time best suited to the country holding them.

I completely agree with what you're saying. Unfortunately, the vast majority of new fans > hardcore fans. I mean, Indian and Russian GP? Why not bring back classics (Imola anybody?) or Suzuka or many others instead.
This politics and business has spread too far, even to the drivers who aren't allowed to be people, aren't allowed to wear what they want, do what they want etc.
of course, Indian and Russian fans are always less 'hardcore' than the traditional 'european' fans, and imola hardy ever produces an entertaining race, it is an outdated track that modern f1 cars can't race on

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 20 Mar 2008, 23:41

I thibk it would be scandal if the Aussie GP was ditched because of European viewing times.Australians have to watch European races in the early hours(I believe around 1AM) so I'm prepared to wake up early for the race.And anyway there are less adverts and an oddly enjoyable dark feeling of craziness at watching a race ay 4AM,and as the Oz GP is well organised and on a good track it would be terrible to ditch it

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 04 Jul 2008, 08:27

Australian GP secures new deal
Autosport wrote:Australian Grand Prix officials have secured a new deal to keep the race in Melbourne until 2015, ending months of speculation about the future of the event.

Doubts had been cast about whether Melbourne would remain on the F1 calendar, with Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone making it clear that he wanted a night race if Australia was to keep hold of a slot.

However, a compromise settlement was reached with the race now due to start at 5pm local time - and that was enough for Ecclestone to commit to an extended contract.

"The Australian Grand Prix has always been a great show, with some of the biggest crowds in Formula One," said Ecclestone.

"I have wanted changes to the local race time so that we can increase the television audience in Europe and Asia.

"I'm satisfied that the decision to move to a later start time for 2009 races is a win for television audiences in Europe and Asia, a win for Melbourne and a win for Formula One as a whole."

Victoria state Premier John Brumby: "Today's announcement confirms what every Melburnian knows - we live in the undisputed major events capital of the world.

"The Grand Prix has been an outstanding event for Victoria over a long period of time and has helped put Melbourne on a global stage. Retaining the event is important to Victoria's ongoing growth and prosperity.

"Our year round calendar of sporting and cultural events draws hundreds of thousands of visitors to our wonderful city every year."

The 5pm start time also comes with an agreement from Ecclestone that Melbourne officials will not have to erect artificial lighting for the duration of their contract.

Brumby also said that the commitment for a new deal makes financial sense for the state - even though it is a big money layout to host the race.

"The Grand Prix brings big spending tourists, creates employment and business opportunities and provides Victorians with another opportunity to enjoy world-class entertainment in their own capital city," he explained.

"The massive television exposure that Melbourne receives year in year out has helped build our world-wide reputation as a great place to visit and a great place to live.
"Next year's later start time will mean even greater TV audiences in the United Kingdom, Asia and European markets which means more exposure for brand "Melbourne" than ever before."
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 04 Jul 2008, 10:09

Wouldn't be surprised if Silverstone got the same kind of deal, Ecclestone is just playing his games.

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 05 Jul 2008, 10:26

AzShadow wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if Silverstone got the same kind of deal, Ecclestone is just playing his games.
Eccelstone's greediness will continue. Getting a Grand Prix into the Saudi was the least i would have expected ! Look at the list ! Bahrain, Abu Dhabi .. No offence meant to any of these country men .. I don't understand why F1 needs new venues, when they have old venues which just need to revamped and put back on calendar. What about Austria (A1 Ring), Argentina, USA(Indy), San Marino (Imola), Portugal (Estroil), South Africa (Kayalami). Melbourne was threatened to be thrown out and now when they agreed to stage the race with a 90 mins delay, to appease the European audience .. Bernie accepted it ! Aussie's are making a mistake... If you bend to Bernie's wishes he would ask you to stage a street race like Monaco after 2015 ! I hope Bernie is kicked out of F1 by that time !

Can someone tell me how Bernie came upon to capture this commercial rights for F1 ??? He was just another team owner .. I don't remember his team name ...

Bernie let the grand prix put a show at the best time they can ! don't mess with them !

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 05 Jul 2008, 10:33

Zenolas wrote:

Indian GP is simply a dream of Vijay Mallaya. It can never happen ! The trick is this, Bernie believes that the huge population in India & their rising strength in Global economy can put them on the radar for a nice place for F1 to visit & hoping that Indian companies will invest in him and make him a huge cash cow. Indeed it would be a nice place to visit, but its very difficult to obtain an F1 fan strength in India. There are fans for F1 who would probably be college students & mid 20's o 30's working professional and i doubt whether they would like to actually come down and watch it on live. Until F1 has an established Indian driver, i don't see F1 coming to India nor obtaining a good fan base in India.

All the other old gp's have some driver from the past or current date to cheer for as their hometown hero. India & Russia have nothing in their history except for Narain Karthikeyan.

Bernie fans will watch F1 immaterial of what time it is ! Even if 1 AM in the morning or 11 PM in the night ! A true fan never laments about this ..
Last edited by Sanredrose on 05 Jul 2008, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 05 Jul 2008, 10:36

Eccelstone and Mosley are both very bad for Formula 1. They will have ruined the sport before they retire. As I mentioned earlier in a different post, by 2015 we will probably have only 5 races in the western world. 4 in Europe and 1 in North America or Australia. The other 15 races will be in asia and the middle east. * Swearing not allowed * -az
Last edited by AzShadow on 05 Jul 2008, 15:21, edited 3 times in total.