Should Mika Hakkinen make a comeback?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

Yes, he still has much to offer to F1
44%
no, he's over the hill and should stay away
41%
Yes, we miss his witty repartee with the press
9%
Only if he leaves that wife at home
6%

Total votes: 34

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 26 Dec 2006, 14:58

what do u think?

SpykerMF1
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by SpykerMF1 » 26 Dec 2006, 16:09

I think no he was afantstic driver and a very nice bloke but I think he would come back and I think it would change opinons of him as he wouldn't e as good Some things are bet left to memory and he is on of them.

wendyrosberg
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by wendyrosberg » 26 Dec 2006, 17:43

I'm a huge Mika fan but I still say no.
He's a fantastic driver and I really believe he would do a nice job when he would return.
But first of all I don't believe he would comeback.
And second I hope he won't come back.
Why?
He has had his years. The chance that everything won't be as good as in the past is way too big. He's time is over now. He's too old.
He still remains a fabulous driver, he still is my bigest hero.
I have a huge respect for Mika. But he has much fun in the DTM now. He should stay there.

He really is a fabulous driver, and for me even the best F1 driver ever, and a very nice man but his F1 times are over now. That's only left in our memories.
Oh and with very nice memories. I still can remember him winning his championships in 1998 and 1999 as it was only yesterday. :)

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 26 Dec 2006, 17:56

yup ur right but A McLaren 'B-team' has been mooted for many years now. Perhaps Mika has his eye on an owner/driver role? LOL

wendyrosberg
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by wendyrosberg » 26 Dec 2006, 18:00

iceman1 wrote:yup ur right but A McLaren 'B-team' has been mooted for many years now. Perhaps Mika has his eye on an owner/driver role? LOL
Well I can see him in an owner, or managment role. I think he will do something for the team.
It already seems like he is going to do some things for the team next season. He wants to help Mclaren and knows a lot about the team.
That's also why he already has been testing for the team once.
But driver role??? Hmm no I can't see that happening. Well maybe he will do some testing for the team, to get the car better. But I don't believe he would race any races in the F1 anymore.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 26 Dec 2006, 18:52

intresting read,mika has always given me that impression... a real racer in the car.
but i'll be happy if i see him again...like a management or driver role, he can do same role like schumi test the new mclaren. :-({|= :-({|=

wendyrosberg
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by wendyrosberg » 26 Dec 2006, 19:02

Oh I absolutely agree I would be happy to see Mika again.
He stays my big hero. hihi I was happy as a kid when I saw him giving an interview at the FIA DVD 2006 review. And I was very happy when he tested the Mclaren again.
It gave me so much nice memories again of the past.

Mclaren already have said that they would love to have Mika in a advising role of the team. It's still not sure what he will do exactly. But Mika already has said as well that he would love to help Mclaren. So it really looks like he is going to work for Mclaren again.
It is only a question what kind of a job.
I don't think as a racing driver.
But maybe he will do some test, like he did earlier this month.
Or maybe he will just advise Lewis and Fernando with things.
I think we will have to wait to see what he will do for the team.

But I gotta say that I really think it's a great thing that he wants to help the team. I hope they work it out and mik gets a nice contract with the team.

But as I already said before I only don't think it won't be as a racing driver.
The reason I say this is because I know there are a lot of people that think that Mika will race again. I'm also a member of a Hakkinen forum and there have been huge discussions about this subject. And some people really believed that Mika would race at races again. I don't think this will happen so I don't want that people get too high hopes.

jb4ever

Post by jb4ever » 28 Dec 2006, 06:35

i was mika supporter so i will very happy if he move to f1 again
i don't think he can do a good work in drive but he can be team manager
he knows alot about i saw him in DTM series he is the best and the only one
who can take care about mclaren team''B'' so we need him again maybe will
see jenson button and mika together 8-[

ra1kkonen
car driver
car driver

Post by ra1kkonen » 28 Dec 2006, 16:45

nope , he is too old :)

wendyrosberg
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by wendyrosberg » 29 Dec 2006, 11:17

Talking about this subject, look what I just found on http://www.autosport.com
Gotta say that I just got a huge smile on my face after reading the next article.
Oh man I got those good old memories back of the Hakkinen F1 era ;)
Oh man, I really miss him. I just realised that again.

but here it is, from autosport.com
Berger reveals he was behind Hakkinen test

By Jonathan Noble Friday, December 29th 2006, 09:37 GMT

Mika HakkinenGerhard Berger has revealed to autosport.com that he was the one who got Mika Hakkinen interested in getting back behind the wheel of a Formula One car.

And, claims the Scuderia Toro Rosso co-owner, he was especially overjoyed that McLaren boss Ron Dennis was the one who paid for the former world champion's eventual testing return.

Speaking about the circumstances surrounding Hakkinen's return to the F1 cockpit earlier this year, Berger says that he egged on the Finn to abandon DTM and consider a comeback to Grand Prix racing.

"Let's put it this way, I had some discussions with him and asked why he was mucking around in the DTM and not doing a proper job again," Berger told autosport.com.

"I rate him as an extremely competitive guy, and so we started to talk and discuss if it was the right thing for him to stay in the DTM. I told him that if he was going to the gym and training hard then he might as well get in a proper car! That was how it all started."

Hakkinen's interest was fuelled so much that after a visit to the Brazilian Grand Prix to see Michael Schumacher's final race, he talked to McLaren about a role with them. After several runs in the team's simulator, he tested at Barcelona in November.

Berger said he was so thankful that he did not have to pay out for a Hakkinen test - and instead was very grateful to Dennis for letting it happen.

"Ron picked up on Hakkinen's desire and offered him a car," said Berger, with a big grin on his face. "So we achieved what we set out to achieve. Mika got a drive at the cost of Ron, and that made me smile a bit! It worked out quite well.

"If I convinced him to drive a car, then it would have cost me. But at the same time Ron ran him, so the problem was fixed."

Berger believes that Hakkinen's slow pace in the test was not really indicative of what he is capable of.

"I looked at the lap times and gathered he was not into serious testing. I believe that if he gets serious about it, then I think he would be very close to proper lap times. But not at this stage."

Berger also confirms that they did once talk about a possible F1 racing comeback, but the discussions did not go anywhere.

"I think Mika still is a competitive guy and he knows how to race and how to win," said the Austrian. "He and I had a discussion about it once."
This really got me intrigued. I really had no idea that Berger had something to do with it.

I still believe that Mika shouldn't get back as a racing driver in the f1. Gotta say that one side of me would love to have him back as a F1 driver. But I really think it wouldn't be smart.
It only can destroy his career and reputation.

But I really really hope he will get another job to help out Mclaren. That would be nice.
Well only if he will continue to race in the DTM!!! Because I want to see him race again on Zandvoort, and hope to meet my big hero again.

rb207
car driver
car driver

Post by rb207 » 18 Jun 2007, 18:43

Great sportsman

phillyred79
kart driver
kart driver

Post by phillyred79 » 18 Jun 2007, 19:45

Eh... The better question to ask this winter is: Should Michael Schumacher make a come back?

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 18 Jun 2007, 19:50

mika comeback? .... why not? :D

8 cylinder psychopath
car driver
car driver

Post by 8 cylinder psychopath » 21 Jun 2007, 12:39

phillyred79 wrote:Eh... The better question to ask this winter is: Should Michael Schumacher make a come back?
no, neither mika or schumi should make a comeback at all, as other people are saying, it would destroy mika's reputation if he did return. Same goes for schumi. Both drivers have had their days as great drivers but returning would just seem like a desperate attempt at trying to hold on to fame. Besides, mika is happy driving at the DTM (evan though he hasnt been as successful as he was at F1). And as for schumi, 7 championships is enough.

Mika was a great driver but he lacks the flare that he used to have, the technology of the cars has moved on and when he tested the MP4-21 at Catalunya his best lap was 3 seconds slower than most regular drivers (info from wikipedia).

As for people saying he's too old, im not so sure, he might be but if he can race in DTM ok he could probably still race in F1.

He was a really good driver and ill miss watching his F1 racing. One of the best drivers ever.

XiaoPro
kart driver
kart driver

Post by XiaoPro » 21 Jun 2007, 16:03

its a NEW GENERATION !!! oldies should make ways for newbies ..
even though i missed his humourous side