Schumi testing the F2007 w/o TC next week!

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Re: 2008 Winter & Mid-season testing (Results and Pictures)

Post by iceman1 » 09 Feb 2008, 14:32

More Information:
The source revealed: "Everybody will be surprised by our new rear wing. I have already seen him during the windtunnel tests and he looks beautiful and unique. The wing will be shaped like the letter 'W'.

"The wing will be fitted on the R28 at Melbourne for the very first time. If we introduce the wing earlier, the other teams will immediately focus on it. If we use the wing in Australia, everybody will be amazed. Because of the over-see Grands Prix it is almost impossible that another team will have the same design on their car before the start of the European races."

By sharing this information, the Renault source might have spoilt the surprise element as it is whispered that Williams, after hearing the rumours, is already designing a similar rear wing.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 10 Feb 2008, 16:44

Bahrain 5th day of testing (Autosport reports). Toyota looks promising today:
Kimi Raikkonen remained on top in testing at Sakhir today, despite reliability problems interrupting both Ferrari drivers' programmes.

The world champion was stopped by an oil leak while working on development and set-ups for the F2008, but still went quickest with a 1:30.015 lap.

His teammate Felipe Massa's attempt as a race simulation was hampered by an engine failure late in the run. He ended the test 0.175 seconds slower than Raikkonen.

The failures did not stop Ferrari outpacing Toyota - the only other team participating in the week-long Bahrain test.

But Toyota were positive about their progress after simulating a practice session, qualifying procedure and full race distance with both cars.

"It was a good day," said Jarno Trulli, who was third-fastest. "We did a lot of laps and successfully simulated a race distance without any trouble.

Today's testing times:

Pos Driver Car Time Laps
1. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) 1:30.015 - 61
2. Massa Ferrari (B) 1:30.190 - 70
3. Trulli Toyota (B) 1:30.944 - 91
4. Glock Toyota (B) 1:31.213 - 93
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 10 Feb 2008, 17:06

Awesome times by Ferrari, but their reliability doesn't seem any better than last year. Actually I'm getting quite worried about it since McLaren hasn't really had any problems yet.

musashi_sw
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by musashi_sw » 10 Feb 2008, 17:27

AzShadow wrote:Awesome times by Ferrari, but their reliability doesn't seem any better than last year. Actually I'm getting quite worried about it since McLaren hasn't really had any problems yet.
you are right, ferrari already had 3 problems with reliability and mclaren not yet, i'm wondering what happened? because mclaren always had problem with realibility and ferrari don't...
here in brasil they said that with the documents of the ferrari car mclaren also had the "know how to do" of ferrari
so this could be a possibility but i don't know why ferrari is not so realibily

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 10 Feb 2008, 17:33

musashi_sw wrote: you are right, ferrari already had 3 problems with reliability and mclaren not yet, i'm wondering what happened? because mclaren always had problem with realibility and ferrari don't...
here in brasil they said that with the documents of the ferrari car mclaren also had the "know how to do" of ferrari
If this is so, it's quite funny that ferrari can not apply their own "know how" in favour of their car's reliability, from which McLaren can gain advantage :)

But I'm very disappointed that till now Massa had not any session without problems! His car had always some kind of reliability issues. I want to see him as a contender, not a second driver like Eddie or Rubens.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

musashi_sw
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by musashi_sw » 10 Feb 2008, 17:40

xyneid wrote:
musashi_sw wrote: you are right, ferrari already had 3 problems with reliability and mclaren not yet, i'm wondering what happened? because mclaren always had problem with realibility and ferrari don't...
If this is so, it's quite funny that ferrari can not apply their own "know how" in favour of their car's reliability, from which McLaren can gain advantage :)

But I'm very disappointed that till now Massa had not any session without problems! His car had always some kind of reliability issues. I want to see him as a contender, not a second driver like Eddie or Rubens.
all the brazilians also want...
and this is funny because i don't understand how ferrari just forgot they know-how??
maybe because they don't have ross and now also jean todd...
but is to soon to say anything, but still 3 problems to ferrari and none to mclaren...let see what happen, but i think mclaren's realibility problems times just ended last season

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 10 Feb 2008, 18:12

Timo Glock says that Ferrari will dominate the first half of the season and the other teams must work very hard to avoid having Ferrari dominate the races.
He says Toyota are about 1.3 to 1.5 seconds a lap behind Ferrari presuming similar fuel loads but Toyota knew they would not be fighting Ferrari and they are on course with the performance for the car.

musashi_sw
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by musashi_sw » 10 Feb 2008, 18:42

toyota said in when they launch their car that they will fight for podiums and maybe victories...but it's now clear the huge difference beteween ferrari/mclaren and the other teams...
i think this year will have 2 big fights, hamilton vs. raikkonen/massa and also williams, bmw sauber, renault, toyota, red bull and maybe toro rosso for the middle of the championship table

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 10 Feb 2008, 20:21

2007 Bahrain (February 27, 28 and March 1) Test Results
Air Temperature: ~26ºC

Day 1:
1. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 1:31.766
2. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1:31.901

Day 2:
1. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 1:30.640
2. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, 1:31.178

Day 3:
1. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 1:29.989
2. Heikki Kovalainen, Renault, 1:30.384

---

2008 Bahrain (February 4, 5, 6 and February 9, 10) Test Results
Air Temperature: 18~25ºC

Day 1:
1. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1:32.079
2. Luca Badoer, Ferrari, 1:33.323

Day 2:
1. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1:30.595
2. Luca Badoer, Ferrari, 1:32.230

Day 3:
1. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1:30.455
2. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 1:31.293

Day 4:
1. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1:30.914
2. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 1:31.174

Day 5:
1. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari 1:30.015
2. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 1:30.190

---

Not much different though?

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 10 Feb 2008, 20:38

Ferrari and Toyota were doing race simulation with qualifying and all and the best laps were thus their quali laps. Ferrari wouldn't have finished the race, however, as both of their cars had problems.

We'll see. So far Ferrari seems to be the fastest, but speed matters nothing if you can't finish the race. Let's hope they can solve their problems.

musashi_sw
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by musashi_sw » 10 Feb 2008, 23:46

i agree with you, to win a race first you need to finish
and ferrari don't look so realiby as the other years, i think ferrari is the fastest car today, but in last year was the same and mclaren could win several races along the year

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 11 Feb 2008, 15:50

It is reported in the Italian magazine Autosprint that, before the F2008's Australian grand prix specification is finalised, an unique solution at the front of the red single seater will be tested in Spain.

Reportedly, the innovation is an opening in the upper front of the car's nose; where the Bridgestone 'B' logo is currently located.

"Well, it's an interesting idea," Red Bull technical director Geoff Willis commented.

"Its function is probably to use the central part of the front wing in a better way."

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 11 Feb 2008, 16:54

Apparently Massa's engine had already covered some 1700 kilometers before breaking down and Kimi's has lasted even more so they are not too worried about the reliability now. Let's hope everything will be all right then...

Massa not worried despite problems

Times from the final day:

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Massa Ferrari (B) 1:31.189 91
2. Glock Toyota (B) 1:31.209 71
3. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) 1:31.329 85
4. Trulli Toyota (B) 1:31.689 86

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 11 Feb 2008, 17:06

TS reports on Sunday Bahrain tests.

There were more technical gremlins in Massa’s car during his GP simulation on Sunday compared to Kimi's worry-free simulation the day before. On Sunday Kimi tested different set-ups; he did one lap in qualifying trim with one set of new rubber, which produced the time 130,015. Immediately after that Raikkonen filled the car to the brim, whereas Massa used three sets of new rubber for qualifying runs, his best time was 0,175 short of Raikkonen’s “pole”.

During his GP simulation Massa was struggling to break the 1.32 mark, which Raikkonen had broken lap after lap during his own simulation. Massa’s car then suffered an engine failure (electrical issue) 17 laps from the “finish line”. Massa had already suffered from hydraulic problems during his Saturday test run.

”-Now is not the time to get worried. If we have technical problems this is the time to have them, rather than during the season. And these problems are by no means severe, but easily fixed.

-I’m pretty satisfied with the car that we have at our disposal, and I am satisified with my driving. We are moving in the right direction”, Massa tells TS.

Ferrari have been very pleased by the fact that the car is already faster than last year’s car, even when they have not tried out the newest aero-package.

”It is a very good start to the season as the car is proving so fast. Our pace will only improve during the following tests.”

“Kimi is always fast. It remains to be seen if he is even faster as a champion than before. But I am confident that I can be competitive. Everything is going in the right direction and I have a good feeling in the car. I know I was lagging Kimi’s time in race trim during my simulation but the track was slower today than on Saturday.”

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 11 Feb 2008, 19:14

[u][url=http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65090]http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65090[/url][/u] wrote: Red Bull, Williams kick off Jerez test

David Coulthard topped the times on the first day of this week's testing at the Jerez circuit, where only Red Bull and Williams were in action today.

The Scot, driving the Renault-powered RB4, posted a best time of 1:20.641 after 91 laps. He finished less than two tenths of a second ahead of teammate Mark Webber, the busiest man today with a total of 112 laps.

Williams' Kazuki Nakajima was third fastest with the new Williams FW30, which sported yet another new livery as the British squad continue celebrating their 30 years of racing in Formula One.

German Nico Rosberg was the slowest driver today after 69 laps.

The remaining teams, except Ferrari and Toyota, are expected to join the test tomorrow.

Today's times:

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Coulthard Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:20.641 91
2. Webber Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:20.807 112
3. Nakajima Williams-Toyota (B) 1:20.834 102
4. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:21.096 69