Ten Year Freeze!?!

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Sauly
car driver
car driver

Ten Year Freeze!?!

Post by Sauly » 26 Oct 2007, 01:27

fingerfish wrote:Ten-year freeze on engines
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=41179

I dont really get this engine-freeze thing.
Say that a team have an ever exploding engine, they will have to use that for ten years?
So that means that some teams will always have a stupid engine and some teams good ones?
Please tell me that I actually misunderstood.
Yeah, I'm one of the many who are probably confused with this. What does this actually mean? Like fingerfish has pointed out, what happens if a team makes a dud engine? I thought Formula One was about development, moving forward in the latest technology? Man this is a blow for the sport in my opinion.
Sauly

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Re: Ten Year Freeze!?!

Post by iceman1 » 26 Oct 2007, 12:07

That means teams cannot
- change engine suppliers
- new suppliers cannot come in
This 10 years engine development freeze will only bring less overtaking, as teams will put their money on better and more developed aerodynamics, so they won't spend $ developing the engine, but they'll still maitain their budget...

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 26 Oct 2007, 15:35

Yeah, I think the engine freeze isn't such a good idea.

All these tehnical restrictions haven't really worked as they probably would have wanted them to. There's less overtaking, cars get slower (can't break lap records anymore...) and it just doesn't have the F1 top tech feeling in it anymore.

As iceman1 pointed out, the teams are spending as much money as before so it's pretty weird that FIA states that this engine freeze has been done to reduce costs. :(

The biggest problem IMO is that now the ones who have the best engine will have it for the next ten years. It will make things a way too unbalanced and possibly prevent new teams, such as BMW, from entering the top league and making things more interesting.

We'll see, but I honestly think that FIA should discuss more with the manufacturers about this.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 26 Oct 2007, 18:32

I think its good for smaller budget teams like super Super Aguri Honda & Force India Ferrari but on other hand certainly going to distract Max Mosley plans to create f1 more environment friendly.
Thankfully "A change can be made after five years but only with the unanimous agreement of all stakeholders and following a further two-year notice period." :wink:
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

Sauly
car driver
car driver

Post by Sauly » 27 Oct 2007, 09:13

Yeah, not happy Jan, Its really not a good move for the sport! I'm actually really annoyed about it, because every year a team creates an unexpected engine that is fantastic!!

Oh well, if F1 gets to dull, I'll go watch V8 Supercars....
Sauly

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 27 Oct 2007, 10:41

Sauly wrote:Oh well, if F1 gets to dull, I'll go watch V8 Supercars....
Are you From Aussie?
Ten years is too much, But mosely said they can change them after 5 years based on an unanimous decision

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by maltafan » 27 Oct 2007, 12:31

10 years is way too much imo.

Cars will not necessarily get slower, but it would make it boring without any developements. The reputation that F1 is the pinnacle of motorsports, could also be jeaopardised.

gary
car driver
car driver

Post by gary » 28 Apr 2008, 00:11

i hate this idea becoz i like seeing new developments being made