Bernie to push for points system change

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
newtrex
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Bernie to push for points system change

Post by newtrex » 22 Oct 2007, 02:59

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=38619

Bernie Ecclestone has criticised Formula 1’s current points system, arguing that it provides perverse incentives for drivers to settle for second place rather than fight for wins.

The current rules award 10 points to the race winner, eight to the runner-up and six to the third-place finisher, with the top eight finishers all scoring points.

Under the system used from 1991 to 2002, the winner earned 10 points, with six points going to the runner-up and four to the third-place finisher. Only the top six finishers scored points.

The system was changed in 2003 following Michael Schumacher’s runaway victory in the ’02 championship, when he clinched the title at the French Grand Prix in July.

But Ecclestone believes the small differential between first and second places has made the sport less exciting, because drivers are encouraged to play safe rather than risk an overtaking move for little extra reward.

“With second place getting eight points it is not right that the winner takes only 10,” the F1 supremo told the Mail on Sunday newspaper.

“For 2008 I will propose a change.”

Elaborating on his reasons for backing a switch, Ecclestone said: “There’s not enough motivation for the driver in second place to go for the win.

“They weigh up the situation and decide it’s not worth the risk of falling off the road just for two lousy points.

“They reckon they might get lucky in the pits and sneak ahead that way, but that’s the only way they are prepared to go for the number one spot.

“All I keep hearing is people moaning about the fact that we don’t see an awful lot of overtaking any more in F1.”

Aside from discouraging overtaking, Ecclestone says the current points system could result in drivers winning the title through consistency rather than speed – which he believes runs counter to the spirit of F1.

“To me, it should be all about winning,” he said.

“The driver who wins the most races in the season should be the world champion.

“It’s as simple as that.

“Second places should only come into the reckoning if both drivers win the same amount of races.”

Ecclestone says he will push for a change to the system as soon as next season.

“Well, obviously not this season because the regulations are set, but I’d like to change it maybe for next season,” he said.

“As the president of the F1 Commission, I shall be bringing it up.”

MrReasonable
kart driver
kart driver

Re: Bernie to push for points system change

Post by MrReasonable » 22 Oct 2007, 07:31

I think i preferred 6 for 2nd instead of 8. But paying points down to 8th encourages more backmarker racing as well. Maybe keep 2nd-8th as is, and make it 12 for a race win. Changing it to a straight up wins based system I dont think is very practical.

WDC
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by WDC » 22 Oct 2007, 09:06

good on you bernie! im slowly begginging to like him again!

i think it would become more like
1st - 12points
2nd - 8points
3rd - 6points
4th - 5points
5th - 4points
6th - 3points
7th - 2points
8th - 1point

or maybe lessen the amount of points for second to 7 and then count down from there??
ah well... itll be good but doesnt matter the points system the rule changes that look set to take over 2010/2011 will ruin F1 anyway!
Thankyou Schumi you will always have a place in our hearts!
Michael Schumacher- 7 volte Campione del mondo!
SIMPLY THE BEST

f1seasonfreak
car driver
car driver

Post by f1seasonfreak » 22 Oct 2007, 09:57

i think bernie's proposal matters. imagine lewis, which undoubtedly a brilliant driver, earn his points mostly as runner up. hmm.. maybe the gap between 10 for the winner and 6 for second, and so on.. will place the driver with most numbers of race won on the world championship.

well that's the race is all about.. being on top always....

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 22 Oct 2007, 10:50

go back to the top 6 10,6,4,3,2,1. People made a big fuss about how Hamilton scored 100 points in his first season but thats not as hard s it used to be with 8 points for second. And on the point of points for 7th and 8th even if it does encourage better lower order racing it is hardly ever shown. Put more of an incentive to battle atthe top $peace

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 22 Oct 2007, 11:01

12-8-6-down, is the best way I think ''hmm''
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

fingerfish
kart driver
kart driver

Post by fingerfish » 22 Oct 2007, 18:38

Motogp Points System:
* 1st = 25 points
* 2nd = 20 points
* 3rd = 16 points
* 4th = 13 points
* 5th = 11 points
* 6th = 10 points
* 7th = 9 points
* 8th = 8 points
* 9th = 7 points
* 10th = 6 points
* 11th = 5 points
* 12th = 4 point
* 13th = 3 points
* 14th = 2 points
* 15th = 1 point

Drivers have to finish race to get point. Encourage smaller teams to make cars that can actually finish.

Silver Shadow
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Silver Shadow » 22 Oct 2007, 20:11

I think there would be an issue with prize money as well because I heard that insiders say that a point is about $2 million, so if there are more points, there is a lot more money, and I don't think that Bernie wants to shell out more! However, I would propose a points system similar to MotoGP, but for prize money to be paid out in terms of points brackets rather than specific price per points. Just offering my $0.02

fingerfish
kart driver
kart driver

Post by fingerfish » 22 Oct 2007, 20:44

On second thought, no, i dont like the motogp system.
Using Motogp system, Lewis would be champion with 288 points, Kimi and Fernando tied at 286.
That will defeat the purpose of changing the point systems, which is more incentive for the winner.
BTW, on the old 10-6-4-3-2-1 system, Kimi would be champion with 93, Lewis second (87), Fernando 85.

I've got too much time in my hand, i can count for every driver if you like !grin!

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by maltafan » 22 Oct 2007, 21:06

I agree that the distance between the first 2 drivers should be more, but I also think that the top 8 should get points, and I would award 1 point for pole positon and another one for the fastest lap too.

newtrex
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by newtrex » 23 Oct 2007, 01:11

i guess 12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 is the best because will give better racing all around...

and now because there are 22 teams, the top 8 should get points not top 6 because than there will be less chance for middle order team to get points... as the reliability of cars these days are very good...

dacer
Donator
Donator

Post by dacer » 23 Oct 2007, 10:28

maltafan wrote:I agree that the distance between the first 2 drivers should be more, but I also think that the top 8 should get points, and I would award 1 point for pole positon and another one for the fastest lap too.
!cool!!!! @Beer :T:@

kimi and mika
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by kimi and mika » 24 Oct 2007, 12:16

MrReasonable wrote:I think i preferred 6 for 2nd instead of 8. But paying points down to 8th encourages more backmarker racing as well. Maybe keep 2nd-8th as is, and make it 12 for a race win. Changing it to a straight up wins based system I dont think is very practical.
I didn't mind it being 8 instead of 6 but your idea is good with 12 for a race win, so it goes:

1st-12
2nd-8
3rd-6
4th-5
5th-4
6th-3
7th-2
8th-1

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 27 Oct 2007, 11:49

Well, they should think about something and keep it instead of changing it all the time.

I'm not sure if Bernie still thinks this way as his favorite didn't win the title and the guy with most wins did. So he might have changed his mind already :roll::

I don't really think that the point system is the reason for so less overtaking nowadays, though. It's just that with the current technical setup with the cars you can't just overtake like that anymore. Whenever the drivers have had a chance to go from 2nd to 1st they have tried it so we shouldn't be making such a hasty decisions without thinking all the options first. ''hmm''

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 27 Oct 2007, 12:15

Keke Rosberg won the 1982 world championship with just 1 win in that season and a grand total of 44 points. The largest number of wins from any one driver that season was 2 (5 different drivers each scored 2 wins) so consistency has to be rewarded at some point.
I do agree that the new points system doesn't reward a win properly and I'd like to see the gap between first and second place return to 4 or 3 points.
maybe give the 1st place finisher an additional point or two, so you would end up with something like a 11-8-6-etc system. This would put a little more emphasis on winning and keep the midfielders happy.
I don't think points should be scored based on qualifying or fastest laps either because I like the focus to remain on the finish. If points are added for qualifying/fastest laps, teams might compromise race performance.