Are F1 cars slower than they were before the hp limit rule?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Robotrix
car driver
car driver

Are F1 cars slower than they were before the hp limit rule?

Post by Robotrix » 21 Sep 2007, 20:39

Hi, I'm new to the forums Flag:## :T:@
I was wondering if the F1 cars of today are faster or slower than they were before the FIA introduced the maximum horsepower limit rule? The reason I ask is because even though they put a maximum horsepower limit, wouldn't the technology have improved in other places to the extent that the cars are substantially faster?

Also, what is the maximum horsepower limit and when was the rule introduced?

F1 Champion
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Re: Are F1 cars slower than they were before the hp limit rule?

Post by F1 Champion » 21 Sep 2007, 21:03

There is no maximum horsepower limit, just a rev limit at 19,000 revs introduced this year. In downforce and mechanical grip I suppose the cars have evolved since last year but it is not really enough to compensate the rev limit and the different tyres time loss. However on some tracks they have been as fast as last year.

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by maltafan » 21 Sep 2007, 21:21

I think that the FIA, through new regulations try to make F1 slower, however, teams, with their technology and knowhow manage to get the cars quick just the same.

You mentioned the rpm limit. Yes, I think it made the cars slower, as the 2 race engine rule did, unfortunately.

The worst thing is, that with all these regulations, they did nothing to increase overtaking on track.

phillyred79
kart driver
kart driver

Post by phillyred79 » 22 Sep 2007, 18:30

Yeah, they are about 2 seconds slower on each track this year.. Some tracks the difference is more than others. Just compare qualifying times between 2004/2005 to now. V10 to V8, but aerodynamics are the name of the game these days. The rumor is that in 2009 they may switch to a bi-turbo V6.. BLAH...

I wish there was more overtaking too... Usually after the first 5 laps you can predict the podium.. Although pitstop strategy has been crucial a couple times this year.. 1 vs 2 stops.. etc...

kimi and mika
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by kimi and mika » 24 Oct 2007, 17:49

The cars are slower than last year and there might be more rules next year which might make them even slower! ::oops:; :<>: :huh: #Fear [help] &doh

F1 Champion
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by F1 Champion » 24 Oct 2007, 18:10

kimi and mika wrote:The cars are slower than last year and there might be more rules next year which might make them even slower! ::oops:; :<>: :huh: #Fear [help] &doh
Yes, the speed will probably go down somewhat next year. Maybe the TC won't do that much, but they won't be able to use engine brake in the same way as now which will force the driver to brake earlier.

Luca Badoer has made some tests with next years electronics and been about 3 secs of the this year's pace at Jerez (where they do around 1:20)