2014 Formula One Discussion

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Re: 2014 Formula One Discussion

Post by tderias » 19 May 2014, 15:53

It was 'dull' not because of the Formula per se, but that 1 team mastered the rules better than everyone else and in the end there wasn't any real competition.

But, for me at least, watching the cars from that era going around the track was so mesmerizing. The body language of the car as it slides, screams and blasts its way into and out of corners is truly something else. The races might have been processional, but at least watching the cars going around at the ABSOLUTE limit of both power and grip kept me hooked. In modern F1, apart from the odd exciting race, its a procession AND the cars look like they're coasting around!

I'm not suggesting a shift from the current engine rules, but just as F1 tries to be the pinnacle in engine technology, they should do so in other departments as well. Give the engineers complete aerodynamic freedom, and get rid of the Pirellis and replace them with the old grippier Michelins or Bridgestones. Only then will F1 cars will be fast once again, because I really do think right now, an LMP1 car can easily beat an F1 car around a track, which I don't think would've been the case 10 years ago.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 19 May 2014, 16:53

tderias wrote:It was 'dull' not because of the Formula per se, but that 1 team mastered the rules better than everyone else and in the end there wasn't any real competition.

But, for me at least, watching the cars from that era going around the track was so mesmerizing. The body language of the car as it slides, screams and blasts its way into and out of corners is truly something else. The races might have been processional, but at least watching the cars going around at the ABSOLUTE limit of both power and grip kept me hooked. In modern F1, apart from the odd exciting race, its a procession AND the cars look like they're coasting around!

I'm not suggesting a shift from the current engine rules, but just as F1 tries to be the pinnacle in engine technology, they should do so in other departments as well. Give the engineers complete aerodynamic freedom, and get rid of the Pirellis and replace them with the old grippier Michelins or Bridgestones. Only then will F1 cars will be fast once again, because I really do think right now, an LMP1 car can easily beat an F1 car around a track, which I don't think would've been the case 10 years ago.
The cars do not look like they're coasting around.

Make them go around on rails and you'll have a 60 lap procession. Also, LMP1 is not faster than F1. LMP1's still slower than GP2, possibly even GP3.

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by F1EA » 19 May 2014, 17:10

tderias wrote:I miss the old F1 too. I'm starting to watch more and more old races, and I'm beginning to sit on the fence with today's F1. They should keep the new engines, but increase rev limit and give the engineers more freedom in the aero department.

F1 cars have never been slow around corners as they are today, and watching that Spa vid is eye-opening. Everytime they slow it down they say its for safety reasons, but the last fatality we had was 20 years ago, and the early 2000s were the fastest F1 cars ever made!
Use of the word "safety" is similar to the use of "logic".

As soon as somebody says "well, it's just logic". Thats it. Conversation is over.

Whenever anyone says "for safety reasons"... they don't need to back up their claim. If you disagree, YOU have to back up your claim or simply you are "against safety"... :O oh the humanity!

Lame.

kals
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by kals » 19 May 2014, 17:49

tderias wrote:It was 'dull' not because of the Formula per se, but that 1 team mastered the rules better than everyone else and in the end there wasn't any real competition.

No. It was dull. Very dull. The worst races across the history of the sport. The cars looked poised but had obscene amounts of grip. Slides were rare, as were overtakes. There was too much a focus on aero which meant cars couldn't follow each other. The engines sounded ok but there was no individuality across the manufacturers. Ferrari did a sublime job but that's because they spent 24x7x365 testing, no-one else did that because of resource and spending constraints. Bridgestone then built tyres specific to Ferrari and made no other spec tyres for any other team.

If you feel that you'd prefer "old" F1 versus what we have today, then you're in the minority. I've watched F1 since the 80's and what we have today is great in comparison to what I've witnessed previously.

And as for suggesting LMP cars are quicker than F1, that's funny.

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

2014 Formula One Discussion

Post by F1EA » 19 May 2014, 17:55

New formula is good. If only it wasn't so reactionary... plan something well, and it will work. As it is now it's more a bunch of half-arsed ideas put together in a rush or in the meantime... ideas that focus on 1 aspect and not the whole picture, or at least not a clear part of a bigger picture.

Electric is the way of the future. Huge V12's running on petrol are soon to be museum bits. Hopefully!

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 19 May 2014, 18:11

Don't take safety for granted just because it's 2014. Look at IndyCar, they had a driver death in 2011, another one with career-ending injuries last year and they are still putting the show before safety. The counterpart to that is a lot of nasty accidents - just watch highlights from last weekend's Indy road course race to convince yourself. I guess a certain crowd finds that appealing.

I think relaxing on safety would be disastrous for F1. There's been a few near misses in recent years, which should serve as a reminder.

kals
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by kals » 19 May 2014, 18:35

Most major motor sports have suffered fatalities and / or serious injuries in recent times... MotoGP, Indycar, World Superbike, WRC, etc... F1 is not immune and should not be considered so.

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 19 May 2014, 20:50

Not what I'm saying. Just that you can never relax (precisely because no series is immune), and that IMO F1 is still pushing in the right direction while IndyCar is not.

kals
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by kals » 19 May 2014, 20:57

François wrote:Not what I'm saying. Just that you can never relax (precisely because no series is immune), and that IMO F1 is still pushing in the right direction while IndyCar is not.
Ah sorry Francois. My comment wasn't aimed specifically at response to you, I was more aiming it in the general direction of the original person mentioning safety in F1 in a very matter-of-fact manner.

antyk
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by antyk » 20 May 2014, 08:37

F1EA wrote:Electric is the way of the future. Huge V12's running on petrol are soon to be museum bits. Hopefully!
Is this some kind of joke? What's wrong with big V12 petrol engines?

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 20 May 2014, 11:29

Woah, one controversial post and everyone's come out of the woods! I should do this more often :p

Seriously though, I admit it was hasty and ill-judged to say that LMP1 is faster than F1 2014, but the way things are going, who knows how that might stand in 2-3 years' time.
phil1993 wrote:The cars do not look like they're coasting around.

Make them go around on rails and you'll have a 60 lap procession.
Also, LMP1 is not faster than F1. LMP1's still slower than GP2, possibly even GP3.
Seeing an F1 car in real life from the stands would never leave the impression that they're coasting, because these things are still super-fast. But, for me - on TV - they look like they're going on 70% of where they should be at, or 70% compared to cars in the 2000-2006 days.

I really don't think it would be a procession. Why? Because Mercedes will still maintain their engine superiority, but given total regulatory freedom, Red Bull will be aero beasts making them quite competitive. With said aero freedom and negating the issue of tyre wear, who knows who else will be in there! I think the end result will be a competitive formula, but with cars running much faster and looking more on the limit, which is a win-win IMO.
kals wrote:No. It was dull. Very dull. The worst races across the history of the sport. The cars looked poised but had obscene amounts of grip. Slides were rare, as were overtakes. There was too much a focus on aero which meant cars couldn't follow each other. The engines sounded ok but there was no individuality across the manufacturers. Ferrari did a sublime job but that's because they spent 24x7x365 testing, no-one else did that because of resource and spending constraints. Bridgestone then built tyres specific to Ferrari and made no other spec tyres for any other team.
Ok, let me address your objective statements. The cars had obscene amounts of grip because they should; this is F1, the pinnacle, not touring car racing. Slides were rare because of traction control and low torque levels compared to today's turbos. I've already said we should keep the engines as they are, so that solves that issue. If overtaking does become difficult (don't think it will be), we could bring back DRS. The reason I'm not totally opposed to DRS is because, although artificial, in no way does it hinder a car's speed, but in fact simply makes it faster down the straight. Same can't be said for Pirelli.

The engines will be kept the same, so no sound 'individuality' issues. As for a dominant team taking control the like the Ferrari of old, you said it yourself, it was all about resources and testing. The current limitations on testing and the budget caps should be appropriate measures to prevent that from happening again, plus there's no chance of the Bridgestone shenanigans happening again, everyone will have the same tyres.

alex1369
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by alex1369 » 23 May 2014, 11:14

Monaco is like roulette. But 1 mistake and its over...
But there is a problem cuz cars dont have much downforce as previous years and it might be very hard to follow/overtake...
But there are some drivers that like to give us good racing

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 27 May 2014, 19:03

Tony Fernandes has insisted Caterham is not for sale
http://www.f1zone.net/news/fernandes-in ... ale/38448/

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 24 Jun 2014, 16:06